What's new

Gone With the Wind physical copies are now sold out everywhere... (Thanks to HBO Max) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Businesses do that all the time to their prospective customers, when the fine print in commercials make disclaimers that anyone with two brain cells to put together shouldn't need to be told.

And that's for adult customers, as opposed to the child's Halloween Superman costume disclaimered "Warning: Suit does not actually allow user to fly."

Really? Did they warn all these sensitive souls that there was farting?

...Remember when they COULDN'T SHOW that scene on television? Farts were enough to get an R rating!

(looks askance at twelve years of CGI kids' comedies) <_<

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
As a very prudish stuck up sticky beak teenager, I walked out of the theatre when this scene started.
Did you return, and watch the rest of the film, or did you not like what preceded that scene? Just curious.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I did not return. For years I thought Mel Brooks movies were just vulgar trash until the DVD era when I found them to be vulgar yes, but mostly hilarious, especially "High Anxiety". I have them all on disc.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I did not return. For years I thought Mel Brooks movies were just vulgar trash until the DVD era when I found them to be vulgar yes, but mostly hilarious, especially "High Anxiety". I have them all on disc.
I still think his first 2 films (The Producers and The Twelve Chairs) are his best work. In his other films, some of the juvenile humor works, and some of it doesn’t for me.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How I could forget -- "Young Frankenstein"! I had this movie memorized. There was no home video, but my friends and I wore out the soundtrack record. I came to the conclusion at first that his best movies were the ones he did not appear in.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the BD of Young Frankenstein recently. It has its own "charm" (for lack of better word).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched the BD of Young Frankenstein recently. It has its own "charm" (for lack of better word).
YF has something in common with Galaxy Quest. Both are affectionate nudges in the ribs of classic genres. Both are very successful and both are favorite movies of mine.

CRW

Agent
Real Name
Chris
A few years ago while my cousin - who's a lawyer - and I were watching football a commercial popped up featuring a car driving through a "wheat field" and at the bottom of the screen was the disclaimer "do not drive cars through wheat fields." I laughed, called it stupid and asked her why commercials warn against the incredibly obvious. She said it was because of the litigious nature of America, people filing lawsuits to hit the legal Lotto for millions and cited the case of Liebeck v. McDonalds, you know the lady who sued Mikey D's because they sold her what she wanted: hot coffee. Then she spilled it on herself, got burned and sued. She won millions but in the end was awarded around $600,000. In fact, there are towns in states like Missouri that are known to be very friendly to outrageous lawsuits against corporations and lawyers work to get their cases tried there because the juries tend to side with the plaintiffs. (Sticking to the big guys and then the big guys jack up their prices to cover the costs of the lawsuits.) That's the reason for those asinine warnings. As an aside, I've never understood the appeal of "Gone With the Wind." A romantic look at the Old South, replete with slavery? Nothing romantic about owning people.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The poor woman with the coffee gets unfairly dragged into conversations about frivolous lawsuits. There are guidelines in place for what temperature hot beverages can be served at; the coffee she received was at a temperature much hotter than the guidelines provided for. The issue wasn’t that the hot coffee was hot; the issue was that even hot coffee should not be served at such a high temperature that spilling it results in immediate third degree burns. The woman was hospitalized for weeks and needed skin grafts. Initially she just wanted McDonald’s to help with the medical bills, but they refused to come to the table, so a lawsuit was the only mechanism available for her.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The poor woman with the coffee gets unfairly dragged into conversations about frivolous lawsuits. There are guidelines in place for what temperature hot beverages can be served at; the coffee she received was at a temperature much hotter than the guidelines provided for. The issue wasn’t that the hot coffee was hot; the issue was that even hot coffee should not be served at such a high temperature that spilling it results in immediate third degree burns. The woman was hospitalized for weeks and needed skin grafts. Initially she just wanted McDonald’s to help with the medical bills, but they refused to come to the table, so a lawsuit was the only mechanism available for her.

I worked as a waiter for 10 years, and one time, I had a customer who wanted hot tea - and he wanted it hot.

He stressed over and over that he demanded HOT TEA!!!

We served hot tea in a mini-teapot, and as part of the routine, I'd pour the first cup for the customer. I accidentally* poured some on his lap, which I only realized because he winced a little.

I asked if I'd spilled some and he nodded. I apologized - and then smirked a little and said "well, you wanted it hot!"

Don't remember the tip, but even if he stiffed me, it was worth it! :lol:

* I swear I didn't consciously spill the tea - this guy was a jerk but I didn't actively try to burn him. I can't vouch that my subconscious didn't come into play here, though! :D

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
As an aside, I've never understood the appeal of "Gone With the Wind." A romantic look at the Old South, replete with slavery? Nothing romantic about owning people.

For those of an earlier twentieth-century generation who don't end up in trigger rages at the very mention of a social injustice--
I can take the slavery (since Hattie McDaniel is the only 100% sympathetic character in the movie), but some people can spend four hours detailing the dysfunctional relationships of a spoiled brat, and some....can't. :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As an aside, I've never understood the appeal of "Gone With the Wind." A romantic look at the Old South, replete with slavery? Nothing romantic about owning people.
I grew up in the 50’s and never understood the appeal of GWTW.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Attachments

• 1598013919534.png
    1598013919534.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks