What's new

Gone With the Wind physical copies are now sold out everywhere... (Thanks to HBO Max) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You’ve got a movie about the .1% living the good life. Scarlett is a spoiled little bitch. I think that sums up the story, except the movie ignores that the basis for the characters living the good life is slavery. It’s been a while since I watched it, but does the movie even mention the real reason for the war? Not states rights but to maintain slavery and the southern way of life that slavery supports.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No kidding! They don't have to be the main character for them to include the cruelties of slavery. That's the issue some people have with the movie. I'm not saying they're right, but that's how they feel about it and have felt about it since 1939.

Besides Mammy and Butterfly McQueen's memorable scene, any other black person was essentially an extra in the background.

They certainly managed to carve out some of that 3 hour 40 min runtime to show how bad the soldiers had it during that time though, didn't they?

Are you talking about this famous scene?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Black slave foreman on Tara.

He played a major plot point in telling Scarlet that her mother was sick when Big Sam and Scarlet meet on the streets of Atlanta. This pushed her into going back to Tara and added to her hatred of Melanie because she had to stay and watch over her.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
He saves Scarlett when she ventures out by herself and is attacked, prompting the infamous KKK incursion into Shantytown.

Only the book explicitly calls it the KKK. The movie makes it ambiguous and still makes fools of Rhett, Ashley, and Dr. Meade as they stagger home drunk, supposedly having been at Belle Watling's place. Some of the stuff from the book that wasn't even in the movie shows some of the characters being even more defensive about slavery, while other stuff was dropped for time.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Only the book explicitly calls it the KKK. The movie makes it ambiguous and still makes fools of Rhett, Ashley, and Dr. Meade as they stagger home drunk, supposedly having been at Belle Watling's place. Some of the stuff from the book that wasn't even in the movie shows some of the characters being even more defensive about slavery, while other stuff was dropped for time.

Weren't they pretending to acting drunk, because they were hiding Rhett's injury instead?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If you want to see a movie glorifying the south during slavery, (and why would you?), there are many other choices. Tonight on TCM, there was the 1930 film “Dixiana”, which would only be more offensive, to those who can’t put themselves in the time period a movie was made, if the characters were in black face!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

The evils of those "circus people!"

Weren't they pretending to acting drunk, because they were hiding Rhett's injury instead?

Yes, they were pretending, trying to cover up Ashley's injury.

That’s the problem, it doesn’t display the horrors of slavery.

I wonder what the movie would be like if they did that in the way you intend?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
^^^
I wonder what the movie would be like if they did that in the way you intend?
It only would have taken a scene or two to show the horrors of slavery. Doing so wouldn't have changed the overall focus of the movie that much. Let's be honest, the reason there wasn't such a scene was a pure economic one made by Selznick as he didn't want to offend the "Jim Crow" South. Thus, negatively affect the box office.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I watched the panel discussion but I didn't like it. I thought the new intro was very good though.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
One reflection of the horrors of slavery that made it into the picture was when Scarlet was yelling at Prissy to get Dr Meade when Melanie was in labor and telling Prissy if she didn't hurry, she would "Sell her South". The separation of families is one of the horrors of slavery. The book has the character of Dilcey, a midwife, who was Pork's wife and Prissy's mother. She and Prissy were purchased from John Wilkes so Pork wouldn't be lonely. The movie eliminated Dilcey and basically all the black family relationships. There is no mention of any black families, which dulls the meaning of "Sell her South" if they don't have families. The fact that her mother was a midwife helps explain why Scarlet would think Prissy would know something about "birthing babies".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks