What's new

Going to Sanibel Island, FL....what to do? (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I'm going w/my family to Sanibel Island, Fl the beginning of January. We were there years ago, but I was too young to remember it much. Anybody been there? What do you recommend for excitement? FWIW, I'm not really into sitting on the beach and relaxing :) . Thanks.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
We were bored out of our minds after a few days on the beach in St.Pete Beach in May. Even though we paid for a package deal, we finally decided to Priceline a room in Orlando and drove out there for the last three days of the trip. Best money I ever spent. I wish you better luck down the coast.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
lots of beach and sanibel is known for having lots of shells on the beach. seriously, you need to ditch your parents and venture just about 30mins east to my hometown Ft. Myers. also, Ft. Myers beach is one of the best beaches in south florida and lots of pretty ladies. sanibel is for the old retired people, honestly. there is also not much to do in sanibel, where as Ft. Myers has lots to do. i haven't chilled there in about 2 years though, hoping to make it back in april if all goes well.

eric

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I second what Eric said. Sanibel is nice for a day or two, but all the action is in Ft. Myers. Even Naples, which is south by about 40 miles has more stuff to do. All Sanibel really offers is the beach. Good Luck.

Brandon

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
The previous opinions expressed in this thread are correct. Sanibel doesn't even have a McDonald's. Which is why I go there every year. :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Michael*K, there is plenty to do in the Tampa Bay area if you actually venture off the beaches. You can only do the beach thing for so long. Believe me, I know. I've lived here long enough that beaches are beyond boring.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks. I kind of figured Sanibel was for "old" people, or people w/little kids. This is kind of our last family trip before my younger brother graduates HS. We are spending 2 or 3 days in Orlando, just doing Universal, not Disney this time. I guess we're only going to be in Sanibel 2, 2 1/2 days, so I suppose I can entertain myself for that long. Are there any good places to fish around Sanibel, or charters?

And while I'm at it, I might as well ask what the top things to do at Universal are. The best rides, shows, etc. Thanks.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Tim --

You've got the right idea... Sanibel will be a GREAT place to recover after the Orlando experience!

Matt

Eric Eash

Second Unit
when in orlando, check out islands of adventure. it's the best theme park there. universal and mgm are cool too, and disney is for little kids. also check out margariteville and all the clubs in that section, that place is happening at night.

eric

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Joe, Tampa didn't do much for us either. Checked out the aquarium and a few other things. Went to Ybor City twice and the place was a ghost town both nights. I guess the weekends are probably the only nights that they don't roll up the sidewalks. For the record, we did spend a day/evening in Clearwater and it had a helluva lot more life than St. Pete Beach, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks