What's new

Netflix Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So it has a one-month theatrical "window", but will only play in theaters for one week?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So it has a one-month theatrical "window", but will only play in theaters for one week?
I guess the idea is that theaters get it a month before Netflix. I have to admit that I'm more likely to go to a theater to see a movie a month earlier than if it was going to be on Netflix in a week. Also, maybe they plan to add a week when it's successful which will still keep it away from when it's premiering on Netflix.

Since it's only playing in 600 theaters across three chains, I'm wondering if it'll even be close enough to me to see it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That seems weird to me as well.

I'm glad this is settled. Cinemark near me has booked smaller Netflix titles than this in the recent past, so I'm not worried about being able to find it locally. But it does seem unusual to impose limits on the run before it even opens.

According to Deadline, Netflix won't be reporting grosses for the film. They've never reported grosses before, so that's not entirely shocking. But they've also never done as big of a theatrical release as this, either. I don't really understand the value of holding back that information, especially because I think Glass Onion is likely to do really well. Reports of big grosses would only increase the film's profile before it lands on streaming.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why only the US chains...hmmm.

EDIT: More countries will have a theatrical release.

"News of the one-week-only engagement follows the movie’s “dazzling” world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, with the sneak preview set to run from Nov. 23-29. “Glass Onion” will play exclusively in approximately 600 theaters domestically, making its mark as the first Netflix film to debut across all three major U.S. theatrical chains (AMC, Regal and Cinemark). It will also play in select theaters in the U.S. and internationally, including Canada, the U.K., Ireland, Italy, Germany, Spain, Israel, Australia and New Zealand. Tickets go on sale Oct. 10 at glassonionmovie.com."

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
According to Deadline, Netflix won't be reporting grosses for the film. They've never reported grosses before, so that's not entirely shocking. But they've also never done as big of a theatrical release as this, either. I don't really understand the value of holding back that information, especially because I think Glass Onion is likely to do really well. Reports of big grosses would only increase the film's profile before it lands on streaming.
Even if Netflix doesn't issue grosses, there are likely to be estimates from the other studios that may be reported somewhere. They usually track their competitors' films, as well as their own.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that the theater chains wouldn't carry the film if it went to streaming less than a month after its theatrical debut, but Netflix wanted to limit the theatrical run to drive subscriptions. So this was the compromise both sides could stomach.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Obviously, this was a compromise to get the bigger chains to show a Netflix film. BLONDE has been in theaters for 3 weeks now. And, I have read of no 'One Week And Out' restriction on Inarritu's BARDO.
Of course, those movies are in very limited release in mostly indie theaters.
So, for now, Netflix is agreeing to the 30 day window for a more commercial film - but, only for seven days.
And, that's a shame for folks who still like to see as many movies as possible on the big screen (I did see BLONDE theatrically, and plan on doing so for BARDO as well)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
BLONDE has been in theaters for 3 weeks now.
Not near me.

Glass Onion will have a much wider footprint than is typical for Netflix releases, and therefore more people will be able to see it. So I think that is a win, even if the engagement itself will be over fewer days.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Not near me.

Glass Onion will have a much wider footprint than is typical for Netflix releases, and therefore more people will be able to see it. So I think that is a win, even if the engagement itself will be over fewer days.

I mentioned all that in my post.

I was just expressing disappointment that folks will only have a single week to run out and see it on the big screen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
None of those chains have any locations in Vermont or within reasonable driving distance (would either be Albany, NY, or southern NH). So it's a no-go here unless one of the independents is able to strike a side deal since we don't have any participating theaters in the state.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter has an article about the box office controversy surrounding this film. Also, it says "Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig insisted on a high-profile theatrical component."

I wonder if Johnson was also able to insist on an eventual Blu-ray release? My copy of the first film will be lonely on the shelf If there is not one. But of course, Netflix likes their exclusivity. Most of their films that have gone out on physical media are through Criterion.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter has an article about the box office controversy surrounding this film. Also, it says "Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig insisted on a high-profile theatrical component."

I wonder if Johnson was also able to insist on an eventual Blu-ray release? My copy of the first film will be lonely on the shelf If there is not one. But of course, Netflix likes their exclusivity. Most of their films that have gone out on physical media are through Criterion.
I assume/hope that if they had enough juice to 'demand' a theatrical release, they also had enough to get an eventual home video release (which is probably a decent chunk of money for both of them). Is Lion's Gate involved with the sequels at all? Maybe they're going to do the disc release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks