What's new

Netflix Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have to admit I think almost a month before it hits the service it was made for is a bit excessive. I could see it if it was getting a wide release, but the limited access to theatrical viewings makes it annoying that a person paying for Netflix's service has to wait that long to watch what they are paying for.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Have to admit I think almost a month before it hits the service it was made for is a bit excessive.
I think this was a compromise situation between the major theater chains and Netflix. It is essentially having a month's window even though it will only play for a week. So it's going to disappear between the end of the theatrical engagement and the Netflix launch.

The chains obviously wanted some kind of window, but Netflix wants most people to watch it on the streaming service. I'm glad they did it because I'm glad I got the opportunity to see it theatrically, which I wouldn't have otherwise.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I read at one of the trades that it is only in 638 theaters. That's more than a super-limited NY/LA type run, but it is definitely more moderate than a typical traditional release would have had. This probably explains why it isn't in your areas.

Netflix is not reporting numbers officially, but Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter are reporting estimates that, If true, indicate it is doing really great business for the locations that have it. I think Netflix is leaving a lot of money on the table by not making this a traditional extended wide theatrical release prior to streaming. But they paid for it, so I guess they can leave money on the table if they like.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Saw this tonight.

A very entertaining film, with gorgeous locations, sly wit, and slick sleight-of-hand. The opening sequence alone was artfully done and hooked me immediately. The mystery and how it was solved wasn't the most ingenious, but the film sweeps you along for the ride. I thought of a few questions afterwards, which merits a rewatch.

* I was asking the question a few months ago whether Ethan Hawke was going to show up, even though he wasn't on the official cast list, and now we know.

* my 16-year-old son loved it... he says the visual clues he noticed early really hit a home run when they were revisited during the denouement. A specific clue was the red shape inside the piece of art with the golden ratio (?). He thought it was odd when it was first shown, and was subsequently impressed by how significant it turned out to be.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Netflix is leaving a lot of money on the table by not making this a traditional extended wide theatrical release prior to streaming. But they paid for it, so I guess they can leave money on the table if they like.
I still think they might extend it a week. If that's happening, I guess they'll announce it on Monday. If not, this week-long run was an obligation that Johnson and company were smart enough to get in their deal.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The "joke-like" burning and destruction of the Mona Lisa.
Within the world that Benoit Blanc inhabits, this didn't bother me at all. If that actually happened in the world, obviously there would be a different conversation. But I thought it was hilarious in fiction.

I still think they might extend it a week.
That would be the logical thing to do if the studio was concerned about making as much money as possible. But Netflix is concerned with getting as many people to watch it on their platform as possible, which is a very different position.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrifically entertaining from
beginning to end. Not as good as the first but wasn’t expecting it to be.

The cast was excellent. Felt a bit like like Murder By Death.

Bring on the next one!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not as good as the first but wasn’t expecting it to be.
I think that part of the fun of the first one was due to it being new and unexpected. Now, everyone has high expectations for another film because of how good the first one was, so this one is not as much of a surprise. But I don't think Glass Onion on its own terms could have been much better than this.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Absolutely brillant movie and a great addition to the Benoit Blanc series. I hate to say “it’s not as good as Knives Out”, as they are so perfectly different from each other, and I just don’t think it’s fair to try to compare them. Both films are practically flawless, IMO. I cannot wait for more.

Also glad to see that the title card did NOT have that silly “A Knives Out Mystery” or whatever it said on the poster art. Makes me feel I can just pretend it was a tagline rather that the official subtitle of the movie. More akin to something like “From the director of Knives Out”.

The second the Mona Lisa showed up I figured/hoped that it would go up in flames by the end of the film. But that’s just me. Was NOT disappointed! 😁

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
....But I thought it was hilarious in fiction....

My guess is most artists and art historians will have a different reaction. And the idea that the Louvre would do what happens in the movie is absurd. Plus the laws of physics are tossed out the window. In a fantasy or sci fi movie I accept that, but in this one not as much. The first movie was in the realm of the possible in terms of physics and everything else, but this one isn't. The first movie was one that Agatha Christie and other well known classic mystery writers would appreciate and understand, but this one not as much. Obviously this is just my point of view, and seemingly not shared by others here, which is fine.

Perhaps ironically, I love Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi. It's actually my favorite of all the Star Wars movies, even above The Empire Strikes back. But that feeling is shared by only a relatively few other Star Wars fans. I sure wish he could do another Star Wars movie or TV series, which I would definitely prefer to have over another movie or two in this series, even though I liked the first one a lot.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think this was a compromise situation between the major theater chains and Netflix. It is essentially having a month's window even though it will only play for a week. So it's going to disappear between the end of the theatrical engagement and the Netflix launch.

The chains obviously wanted some kind of window, but Netflix wants most people to watch it on the streaming service. I'm glad they did it because I'm glad I got the opportunity to see it theatrically, which I wouldn't have otherwise.
I get the reasoning. I just don't agree with it. You don't mind how they are releasing it because you are lucky enough to be in an area where you can see an early screening. Would you still feel the same way if you didn't have access to it?

It annoys me, because there are probably people who don't have Netflix's service who will be able to see this before paying subscribers. Now for a month a person will have to avoid anything related to this film to avoid spoilers, because as sure as the sun rises someone, somewhere, will post them, either out of malice or plain ignorance.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Perhaps ironically, I love Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi. It's actually my favorite of all the Star Wars movies, even above The Empire Strikes back. But that feeling is shared by only a relatively few other Star Wars fans. I sure wish he could do another Star Wars movie or TV series, which I would definitely prefer to have over another movie or two in this series, even though I liked the first one a lot.
I still rank it 3rd behind Empire and the Original, but The Last Jedi is definitely firmly behind those two. I have absolutely loved it since my first viewing. I’m rooting for Rian to get his hands back into Star Wars in ANY capacity. The Mandalorian and Andor have shown how great SW can be on the medium of “TV”.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I get the reasoning. I just don't agree with it. You don't mind how they are releasing it because you are lucky enough to be in an area where you can see an early screening. Would you still feel the same way if you didn't have access to it?
Personally I feel VERY lucky that I not only had multiple theaters in my area playing it, but that I was able to make it out to see it during this ONE week, and a particularly busy week to boot, with it being a holiday. If there hadn’t been a ridiculously but delightfully early showtime (9:45am) I may not have been able to sneak out and go at all. So I definitely feel for anyone who didn’t have the same opportunity. Even having seen it I would definitely have preferred a later showtime and have been able to take my wife with me.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just got back from seeing this with a packed crowd in Indianapolis. Like the first film, the killer is again completely obvious halfway through, and like the first movie, this absolutely didn't hurt my experience one tiny bit.

I took particular notice of Edward Norton's expression when he first sees "Andi" arrive. I remembered the shot from the trailer, and Norton's reaction in the previews seemed to me like he witnessed a murder that nobody behind him was privy to. So to see his HORROR at seeing Andi standing there was...a clue. Not proof of anything, but he certainly looks like he saw a ghost, and it played bigger than "this is awkward." But I filed it away for later presuming he fucked over Andi, or whatever it is we're naturally supposed to assume is out there that we don't know about yet.

Devious secrets.

But later, the second we realize Andi had a twin and she is in fact (supposedly) dead of suicide, I almost instantly remembered that shot and all of the relevant clues like MO all slammed into place: "Oh, he CLEARLY murdered her to hide some secret about the founding of Alpha. He thinks she's dead, because he killed her. He's in shock." Plus, he ran off in the direction the shooter would have been in when that moment happened. Plus, I had remembered the drink-thing with Big Dave before it's relitigated a bit later on.

NONE of this is me complaining. There's people who will solve the story before me, and there's the Kate Hudsons of the world who won't solve it at all. That's a GOOD thing. You should be able to feel like a smart-cookie audience member and pay attention and think critically and put things together. That's the fun of a puzzle like this. It should be solvable.

On the topic of Kate Hudson JESUS CHRIST THAT BIKINI-STRUT. Holy shit, girl. I don't care how dumb you are, sit on my face until I die. Also, she was easily the funniest character. I cried laughing at the sweatshop-gag. Everyone is in this film is great.

If this movie doesn't become an internet-meme, a thing that is tweeted endlessly and relentlessly at Elon Musk...I could NOT STOP LAUGHING at the montage of stupidity. The Billionaire genius who's actually a complete dipshit is so perfect for this moment in time.

And finally:

Edward Norton as Frank T.J. Mackey. Dear God in Heaven.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Would you still feel the same way if you didn't have access to it?
Yes, I would, because anything that gets Netflix and the big movie theater chains to cooperate is a positive in my book. With the success of this release, it becomes more likely that they could work together again. While I certainly feel for fans who don't have the movie in their area yet, the fact that the movie was released like this at all is progress.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks