What's new

Netflix Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because its a Mystery film and its being considerate.

How does it hurt to use spoilers?
At this late date, anyone that hasn’t watched this movie by now and is still actively reading this thread does so at their own risk. Being considerate should come into play when the movie first opens and being a mystery is not germane to the situation.

Using spoilers is a PITA for some of us on mobile devices.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing, my preference for not using spoiler tags at this current time for this particular movie is not a moderator's edict. I'm just expressing my opinion. Usually, I'm a stickler for using spoiler tags and have added them to posts that didn't do so. However, this thread is an in-depth movie discussion thread about a particular movie that's been available to watch for a couple of months now. I just think anybody that hasn't seen this movie and is still reading this thread needs to accept some responsibility if their enjoyment level is compromised because another poster is not using any spoiler tags at this late juncture.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would agree with that and I imagine that's the direction they'll go in the future but since they don't specify that they're married in this one, he still could be Blanc's butler in the next movie.

Yeah, I mean, for me, there was not much there to go on. I did not recognize it was Hugh Grant yelling there was someone to see Blanc with a package, and then we see Grant for a second when he answers the door. That's it. There was no back and forth between them that showed the relationship. So, if they were making that point they did it in an extremely subtle way. I actually did not catch on that Grant was playing his husband until he said it in an interview. I thought butler or something because of how random and undefined it was. I guess you could jump right to they are a couple but nothing really said that in the film. The way they lay it out Grant's character could be anybody, a house guest, a person doing some work at Blanc's house, a friend. I mean, he does not use an affectionate name for Blanc, doesn't say dear or honey or anything like that, just calls him Blanc when we hear his voice. He doesn't walk in when Blanc is in the tub, which would have at least told us they were more intimate. It is one quick voice scene and he answers the door. Then Ethan Hawke shows up randomly in the picture as I guess an employee of Bron. So, I just thought they are dropping in famous faces as a gag. If a guy answers a door at a place where another guy lives I don't jump to the conclusion they are married. How would I know that?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I guess I'm one of the naked few of found Knives Out a pretty contrived affair, trying waaaay too hard to be a clever Agatha Christie-ish all-star extravaganza, but actually, at its core, just coming off as an ensemble piece with a pretty straight-forward plot.

Good cinematography does not a great movie make. Thought there was a lot of waste in the ensemble too - actors in mere cameos that did nothing to advance either the story, their characterizations or the actor's careers. Fluff and filler with a bit of plot, and a not altogether satisfying one at that.

Yeah, I know. I'm in the minority here. But having said that, I'm also one of the few NOT surprised sequels are going direct to Netflix. That's about where I would have pegged the first flick from the outset.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm one of the naked few of found Knives Out a pretty contrived affair, trying waaaay too hard to be a clever Agatha Christie-ish all-star extravaganza, but actually, at its core, just coming off as an ensemble piece with a pretty straight-forward plot.

Good cinematography does not a great movie make. Thought there was a lot of waste in the ensemble too - actors in mere cameos that did nothing to advance either the story, their characterizations or the actor's careers. Fluff and filler with a bit of plot, and a not altogether satisfying one at that.

Yeah, I know. I'm in the minority here. But having said that, I'm also one of the few NOT surprised sequels are going direct to Netflix. That's about where I would have pegged the first flick from the outset.

Don't really understand the last comment.

"Glass Onion" did play theatrically on a limited basis.

And you phrase the comments about "direct to Netflix" as though that's a badge of shame, which I don't get.

Whole post seems to be about the first movie anyway.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Don't really understand the last comment.

"Glass Onion" did play theatrically on a limited basis.

And you phrase the comments about "direct to Netflix" as though that's a badge of shame, which I don't get.

Whole post seems to be about the first movie anyway.
There's a lot of crap on Netflix, some of it home-grown product meant strictly to fill dead air time with new content. Not saying Netflix is the only network guilty of this. Just suggesting not everything on it is golden or aspiring to even greatness on a modest scale.

Glass Onion did not receive a wide theatrical distribution deal. So, unless you were in a major metropolitan center, the odds of seeing it theatrically were fairly slim to nil. It's become something of the norm - owing to dwindling audiences - to not 'go big' with theatrical bookings and then go direct to video/cable/streaming platforms for the 'wider' audience.

Being on Netflix is not a 'badge of shame'. But Netflix has fallen pretty far from the platform it used to be only a few years ago, with questionable 'content' that is not much of a step above a C-grade made for TV movie of the week circa 1979. Mixed into this, is the high-octane stuff, the high profile stuff, some classics, some fine documentaries, and stuff that you wouldn't want to waste your time, even if you had the time to waste.

Bottom line: I didn't care for Knives Out or Glass Onion and won't be investing my time watching any more sequels, prequels or revisionist takes on a pretty threadbare and careworn premise to begin with. Just an opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Bottom line: I didn't care for Knives Out or Glass Onion and won't be investing my time watching any more sequels, prequels or revisionist takes on a pretty threadbare and careworn premise to begin with. Just an opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Loved Knives Out but found Glass Onion kind of lousy. While Knives Out was a genuine Agatha Christie type yarn, Glass Onion was a goofball ensemble comedy. I think Johnson discovered the difficulty in writing more than one of these. He also did some things, intentionally, that I do not think helped his story. Blanc is the returning character and so should have been afforded more for the audience to attach themselves to but instead, Rian wanted Blanc to be like a dog wandering around at a party. In many ways he is not even important to the story at all. This kind of was terrible, I thought, and why have him return if he is such a nothing character? If that is how you are going to write these then just have a different "detective" each time.

Blanc gets just one good scene in the film, when he ruins the mystery weekend by solving the "murder" during their first dinner. That was it. For the rest of the picture, he amounts to nothing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There's a lot of crap on Netflix, some of it home-grown product meant strictly to fill dead air time with new content. Not saying Netflix is the only network guilty of this. Just suggesting not everything on it is golden or aspiring to even greatness on a modest scale.

Glass Onion did not receive a wide theatrical distribution deal. So, unless you were in a major metropolitan center, the odds of seeing it theatrically were fairly slim to nil. It's become something of the norm - owing to dwindling audiences - to not 'go big' with theatrical bookings and then go direct to video/cable/streaming platforms for the 'wider' audience.

Being on Netflix is not a 'badge of shame'. But Netflix has fallen pretty far from the platform it used to be only a few years ago, with questionable 'content' that is not much of a step above a C-grade made for TV movie of the week circa 1979. Mixed into this, is the high-octane stuff, the high profile stuff, some classics, some fine documentaries, and stuff that you wouldn't want to waste your time, even if you had the time to waste.

I never claimed everything Netflix runs "direct-to-streaming" is golden. But your post implied that "straight to Netflix" was a sign of inherent inferiority, like the way people viewed straight to video movies for so long.

I mean, skillions of crappy movies run on big screens. There's no exclusive venue for good or bad films.

"Onion" played on 696 screens. Not a massive release but pretty decent.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Okay I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.
While I didn’t think the mystery of who the murderer is
was that hard to figure out, I still liked watching it all play out.

Once we found out that Andi was actually dead and it was her twin sister I thought that was a problem.
Wouldn’t Miles have known it wasn’t Andi since he killed her?
When he gave her the drink I expected this to be a tell that it wasn’t Andi.
Thought he might be giving her a random drink and saying I hope you still like this and since Helen may not have known, she would just take the drink and this would confirm to Miles it wasn’t Andi.

Stoner guy just randomly living on the island was pretty funny.

I had no thoughts at all that Hugh Grant was married to Blanc.
Just never even occurred to me until mentioned in this topic.

I’m still not convinced they’re married while they probably are there wasn’t anything in the movie to suggest it..

I saw something saying Rian thought about giving Blanc a different accent every movie but decided against it.
Thought his accent was not as “thick” as in Knives out.
Either way I was fine with it.

Look forward to the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks