What's new

Netflix Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is Lion's Gate involved with the sequels at all?
They're listed as a production company on the second film, so I'd think we should see a disc release after a year or so on Netflix.

Love how there are recent articles related to the theatrical release of this film with the Netflix CEO saying theatrical release is not going to be a regular pattern, and that they're "in the business of making movies for Netflix customers to watch on Netflix." But if they want to work with the bigger directors and stars, they're likely going to have to compromise on some sort of theatrical window for many films. These bigger names won't want to just be making movies for streaming. They'll want them on the big screen for some period of time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is Lion's Gate involved with the sequels at all?
My understanding is that they are not. But I could be wrong.

Media Rights Capital produced the first film and Lionsgate was acting as a distributor.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
313191937_10159250317313870_3684197221366699083_n.jpg

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I actually saw a trailer for this at a local Regal that really played up that it will play in theaters for 1 week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
really played up that it will play in theaters for 1 week.
I'm sure it is to the benefit of the theaters to emphasize this. They want to make sure that people know you can't count on it sticking around and have to go out for it right away. The first film was really leggy. I saw it at Thanksgiving and then saw it again in January 2020 and it was still drawing well at my second screening. The theaters obviously want to get the message out that that won't be the case here.

Netflix probably wants to emphasize that for the opposite reason so that it still feels like they have a measure of exclusivity for their subscribers.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got tickets for Wednesday night and was surprised to see that only 15 seats remain unsold at this point for a show that is four days away.

Most movies do not generate a large advance sale around me unless it is a Marvel or Star Wars opening. For Glass Onion to be selling this well at this point in time is unusual.

If it performs as well elsewhere, I suspect the box office number (which Netflix will not officially report) could be pretty high. We won't have the data, but they could very well have a big hit on their hands.

On another note, my theater that is showing Glass Onion has also scheduled three showings of Knives Out on Tuesday. This surprised me because even though Netflix is distributing Glass Onion, Lionsgate still owns the distribution rights for Knives Out. So the theater would have had to make one deal with Netflix for Glass Onion and another deal with Lionsgate to show Knives Out again. It is interesting to see Lionsgate essentially loaning out their film to help promote a competitor's title.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I have to drive a couple of hours on Wednesday to get ready for a client presentation on Thursday, so I won't be back until Thursday afternoon. Will probably have to wait for the weekend.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw and loved this wonderful movie. Both a good murder/mystery and a good comedy.

Among the many celebrity cameos in this film are two by people who have died in the last calendar year. The movie is dedicated to them.

And yes, the movie ends with the Beatles classic "Glass Onion".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw and loved this wonderful movie.
I agree.

This year has had a lot of franchise films sequels that disappointed in comparison to their predecessors. I'm really glad that this one was extremely satisfying. One of the best things about it is how it doesn't feel like Knives Out 2 at all. Johnson could have plugged in another character in place of Benoit Blanc and created a completely new piece of IP. I don't mean this as a complaint because Daniel Craig is great, and I'm glad that it is Benoit Blanc. I hope to see Benoit Blanc as many times as Daniel Craig wants to play him. But what I mean is that Johnson made this look and feel different than Knives Out. I hope the third one feels different than either of these. This really demonstrates Johnson's range, skill and creativity.

Everyone at my screening seemed like they were into it and like they were going to leave happy at the end. I know I did.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I saw this on opening night here.

I wasn't much of a fan of Knives Out, but I really liked this. I thought it was a better movie than Knives Out on every front.

The movie is almost two and half hours long, but it never feels long, and certainly doesn't feel overly long. The time frame shifts are fun and I think work better than others because they are longer. The flashback is like 30 minutes long. That's pretty gutsy. I think a lesser movie would be tempted with cutting back and forth.

The cameos are all great fun. In particular I like how Ethan Hawke's character gets this big flashy intro like he's going to be a major character, and then he's just the covid spray guy.

Each of the main players had their own moments in the spotlight, and nobody ran away with the movie (even though Daniel Craig, Edward Norton, and Janelle Monáe are centre stage). I really liked Janelle Monáe in Homecoming season 2, and she's terrific here.

I still don't think Rian Johnson is a particularly gifted director (though a few of his shots in The Last Jedi are legitimately beautiful), but his writing here is excellent.

Just a really solid, entertaining, well written, and well acted mystery movie.

I'll be buying this on physical media if the Netflix gods are generous, and can see myself watching it every year or so as part of a "mystery" binge.

9/10

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Netflix has been pretty good at getting their prestige films released by criterion. I would definitely consider this one of them.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I got my ticket for tomorrow morning at 9:45am. Was happy to see such an early showtime was scheduled so I can still have enough of a day tomorrow with my family afterwards. My wife will have to stay home as we couldn’t get child care during this ONE week it’s playing. Still really annoyed at that. I saw Knives Out in the theaters back when it was out but didn’t get around to it until it was January 2020, and that time I also had to go without my wife. This year both the kids are in school we could have easily gone on a Friday when I’m off work when the kids are at school, but this one week window is during the Thanksgiving weekend. So I’m having to go alone. But whatever l, I’m glad I’m going to be able to see it in theaters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Estimates have this coming in third place for the weekend ($12.8 million/5 days) behind Wakanda Forever and Strange World, despite being on only 638 screens (the top 2 films are on 4000+).

By comparison, Steven Spielberg's The Fabelmans is on the same number of screens as Glass Onion, but is only expected to make $3.4 million/5 days).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It's certainly spectacular, clever, and witty, but I didn't like it as much as the first one. My rating: B

Something that bothered me was....

The "joke-like" burning and destruction of the Mona Lisa. Didn't think that was funny or appropriate from my pov as an art historian. Also, I know this movie isn't realistic, but as soon as he said the Louvre had lent him the Mona Lisa for lots of money the whole thing became completely unreal to me, and never really recovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks