What's new

Gilmore Girls 11/19/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The whole "Tunnel vision" with a specific college by high schooler is a normal phenomena.
With regards to which college Rory goes to, I think the writers are just setting us up to pull the rug out from under us and Rory when she'll be forced to stay closer to home (and thereby, keep the show going) next season. This being because they need a 4th season to get that whole syndication thing going. :)
I found it very decent of Rory to go to Dean and tell him that he didn't do anything wrong in their relationship, she just needed to move on from him.
The good thing about the visit to Yale was getting into Richard and Emily's backstory, and to find that the prim and proper Gilmores had some drama in the courting days themselves.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Yup, I agree 100% Patrick. Rory will undoubtably attend Yale... and the only reason story wise is because the writers need her to in order to keep the show going. ;-)

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm always relieved when I see Amy Sherman-Palladino's name in the opening credits. The episodes that she scripts always have a little more pop to them.

This, I think, was the first episode in several weeks to have one of those great Gilmore Girls moments -- the sequence during and just after Rory's Yale interview. It began with Lorelai's now-predictable response. She slipped instantly into one of her immature rants, accusing her father of being manipulative (which he was) and marching off in a huff. But before she could savor her victory, Richard shot back, pointing out how naive she and Rory are being for assuming that she will be accepted at Harvard. "Thousands of mothers want their exceptional daughters to go to Harvard. If you had gone yourself, you would understand that." Just brutally honest.

I've come to expect exchanges like that, but I watch each week because Sherman-Palladino continues to surprise me. What I wasn't expecting was Rory's response. She has always gone out of her way to accomodate her grandparents, almost as if she were making up for her mother's rebellion, but this episode showed how Richard had come to take her kindness for granted and how little he actually understands his granddaughter. Rory's explosion was both surprising and completely in character. Her anger was completely justified because, unlike her mother, she is a realist, she is aware of how competitive it is in the Ivy League. Good stuff.

I also liked the coda with Dean. I wonder if he will remain on the show.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Put me down as believing that Rory will be a bulldog.

But a dissenting vote for her mea culpa. Everybody knows that “It’s not you, it’s me”, is a lie. Worse yet to be told way after the fact—and after you had to figure it out for yourself.

This was as self-serving from Rory, as her Mom’s usual dealings with Luke.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Rory is her mother's daughter, and probably has the "denial" gene working working overtime, just like Lorelai's does.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
If Rory were to get into Hahvahd, I would be sorely disappointed in this show. It's bad enought that the strive for Lorelai to be hip and profound with every word from her mouth is strain enough. I realize that she probably does it to make up for the fact that she did not attend college and so much was expected of her, has this ever been dealt with in any episode?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Lorelai is just full of pop cultural references in her speech patterns, I don't know if it's just her way of shorthand speech, but I don't think it's to sound profound, maybe just more in touch with pop culture because she lacks a more formal, classical education.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't see Lorelei going for "profound", really. Actually, I seldom see her "going" for anything; it's just the way she (and to lesser extents Rory and Lane) talk. Maybe it's not quite realistic, but who cares? It's entertaining. These characters' speech patterns are all somewhat stylized, but to me that just means their conversation is more fun to listen to than real-life stuff. I mean, I'm pretty sure that very few people in the 1930s really talked like they did in screwball comedies like His Girl Friday, but if we wanted mere realism, we could get that at the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks