Gilligan's Island?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt_Troop, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Matt_Troop

Matt_Troop Agent

I have heard from many sources that The Real Gilligan's Island is a bigger hit then it's originator Gilligan's Island, Is that true? and since the second season is coming out do you think there is a chance of a first season dvd?

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Do you really think 40 years from now people will remember "The REAL Gilligan's Island"?

I doubt that the reality show will play in syndication for years and years and will spawn three reunion movies, a behind the scenes tele-pic, cartoon series, etc.

But yes, I imagine a DVD set will be released.

3. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    The Real Gilligan's Island more popular? It was cancelled pretty quickly, so I'd say no [​IMG]

4. Matt_Troop

Matt_Troop Agent

It wasn't Cancelled the second season comes on TBS on June 8th

5. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Considering the fact that there were only 3 networks when the classic "Gilligan's Island" appeared, and there are thousands of channels to surf today, I'd say the chances are pretty good that the classic is a little better known than the new one.

6. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    I thought it was cancelled my bad :b

Still it's no way more popular, Gilligan's Island(the original) has been in repeats since it went off the air, I doubt the Real Gilligan's Island will most likely, as with any reality show, be forgotten in about 5-10 years

7. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

I don't know, but it might be true. I think what these sources were doing (and what the replies in this thread have failed to take into account) is comparing the ratings of the original broadcasts. Like Star Trek, Gilligan's Island didn't really make it big until it hit syndication. The Real Gilligan's Island had the decided advantage of having that entire fan base to pull from. Plain curiosity probably got TBS a lot of extra viewers. The real test will be the ratings for season two.

As for popularity, I have to agree with the previous replies and say that there's just no way the reality show is ever going to unseat the original.