What's new

Ghostbusters 2, Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I always heard this was rumored to have been in development, IF the first one did well enough in sales. As we all know, the first GB was one of the best selling discs of it's time if memory serves, so how come this SE never materialized?

Is there NOTHING new to talk about, that could be done with extras? I think it would be great if we could get all four Ghostbusters to do a MST3K Video style Commentary, along with a few new documentaries and outakes, that are seen in the end credits of the film. Also footage that didn't make it to the final cut.

Would anyone rebuy this film with a Special Edition?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, how come more discs don't use the MST3K style Audio commentary? I think it adds an extra element to the thing and makes it more fun . Too bad they cna't be watching a real movie screen, so they don't have to pretend where the object they are pointing to is.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
When Columbia/TriStar came to chat, I asked them about the rumor of a GB2 SE, and they said it was just that: a rumor. And an incorrect one. I love Ghostbusters II just as much as the original, and I think it merits a special edition re-release in the vein of the packed disc for the original. Deleted scenes exist, another "live video" commentary would be awesome, some featurettes (a new one from the present day would be cool), perhaps the music video (missing from the original's DVD), an isolated score. Lose the pan-and-scan of course and it would be great. I'd buy it in a second. I think it's every bit as deserving of a SE re-release as Groundhog Day and Stripes, and even though a lot of people have bashed the sequel in recent times, but I still think such an effort would be worthwhile. It is one of the few DVDs that I own that I would LOVE to re-purchase, and it would sell better than most other stuff. It deserves SE treatment, and whether or not you believe it, DVDs with extras sell better than those without. A barebones title released nearly three years ago which is now retail priced at just $14.99 is less than adequate treatment. The plus is that it's anamorphic and 5.1. However, a new release of this extremely entertaining sequel would be wonderful and I hope Columbia/TriStar considers it for re-release alongside with the other older titles the studio is revisiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks