What's new

Getting rid of 32" CRT ... (1 Viewer)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I have a Panasonic 32" TV (CT-32XF55) which back in 1999 was one of the first CRT TVs with progressive scan. The picture tube still appears to be in perfect condition (producing an absolutely stunning picture) but the TV has developed some kind of a power supply problem. The TV turns itself off in half an hour or so and then comes back on in a few minutes with a loud popping sound.

I spent some time wondering if I would be better off getting a new TV or getting this one fixed. Given that I have no way of transporting the TV on my own I figured getting it fixed alone would cost me around $300-400 and even after that I would be stuck with a 7-year old behemoth that could break on me again. So a few weeks ago I got myself a Sharp 37" LCD (for less than 2/3 of what I paid for the Panasonic back in 1999) and I am very pleased with it so far.

What I am looking for are suggestions on how I could dispose off the older TV. Would the TV be worth anything as is, or should I just write it off as a freebie (curbside recycling drop-off) ? I would hate to do that given that I spent $1500 on it just 7 years ago and the repairs it needs may be quite minor. But then again I realize that no one wants to break their back with a big CRT any more with all the cheap and sleek flat-panel TVs flooding the market. Let me know what you guys think. I did consider e-bay and stuff and one thing I know I don't want to do is transport the TV or ship it to anyone (just not worth the hassle for me).

Thanks,
-D

Rick89114

Grip
Real Name
Richard
I vote also for giving it away or curbeside recycling. Our 32 in tube did the same thing (origonally 800 in 1998) and got a Sony LCD. The tube went to the curb and seemed to get "Recycled". My friend just got a Sony LCD also and gave his perfectly fine 32in tube to my brother in law for free just to get rid of it.

garycase2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Case
Used TV's, especially CRTs ... and even more especially those with any problems, have ZERO value (or even negative value --> it can cost to dispose of them). Curbside recycling is your best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks