What's new

Getting locals..... (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I now have the option of getting my local stations thru Dish and as such, am also looking into getting into their HD stuff.
Now from what I've read, I can only get the CBS HD feed and that's it, at least for the local HD. If I am going to invest anyway in an antenna for the local HD broadcast, is it correct to assume I'd be better off just doing that and not subscribing to the Dish locals? It seems like a redundant thing when I can get my locals for free anyway with the antenna.

John S

Senior HTF Member
No matter what you go with, as soon as something you want to see in HD isn't availble on whatever you choose, you will want the other. That has been my experience with myself and others I have help'd get HDTV going on their sets...

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Beware, my friend. I was told I would get CBS HDTV when I subscribed to Dish, but as it turns out, the CBS HD satellite is in the northern sky and all the rest of the feeds come from southern satellites-- so I don't get CBS. I have to set up another dish on the north side of the house to pick up the superbowl.

Maybe someone knows a way around this, but Dish and my local tech doesn't. So, come Sunday, I've got a dish in my front yard for that feed.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know- but I know I'm north of the equator. If the satellite points south (which it is), it can't pick up signals coming from the north... right?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All of the satellites are on a stationary equatorial orbit. Lyngsat has a nice map of each digital satellite for the western hemisphere. With Dish you would use 61.5 (HD east), 110 (core programming), 119 (more core programming) and 148 (HD west).

-Robert

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
That sounds about right-- I do get all the Discovery, ESPN, HDNET, etc. I just don't get the CBS satellite... should I be?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's another Lyngsat link that lists channels on each satellite. Dish has been moving things around and since I don't subscribe to their service any more, I don't track the channels. You will also have to qualify to receive CBS HD via satellite. You have to live in a CBS owned and operated market. Live in a white area (not served by any market). Live in an area where you can't get a grade B signal or better. Or get a waiver from your local CBS affiliate.

-Robert

Peter_D

Agent
I just looked at my HD channels in my directtv and saw that CBS-HD has been added. Just in time to for the superbowl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks