What's new

VPN and using a Tablo DVR (1 Viewer)

NEWMguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Short
Good day,

We receive OTA ( over the air ) TV stations by antenna and use Amazon Firesticks on our TV’s that are connected to my local network. We have a Tablo DVR for recording OTA broadcasts which is connected to the network. Setting the Tablo takes place through an APP on the Firestick.

We wish to protect the network with a VPN and wonder if it is compatible with a Tablo DVR. A VPN service called SurfShark says it will work by using Tunneling, a VPN IP address and a separate local IP address In two tunnels. The Tablo DVR app on the Firestick would be directed to the normal IP address while in use using Surfshark’s Whitelister dual tunnelling option, avoiding the VPN.

If anyone has any experience with this, I would appreciate your repy.

Bill

DonCallis

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
Well, as far as I know, its' definitely possible. I remember that while connecting, all the traffics from the laptop must be tunneled through the vpn server. Unfortunately, you cannot use Tablo DVR with some VPNs that are not passing the multi-cast type packets needed for discovery.

You can ask the developers of Tablo DVR about a suitable VPN for such purposes. But I personally would recommend you to read a useful review on pinpointvpn.com about the best VPNs today. I'm almost sure that NordVPN or ExpressVPN would be perfect for Tablo DVR and many other devices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks