What's new

Getting Large HDTV Into House? (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've finally got fed up with NTSC artifacts and am planning the move to a large HDTV this summer (I'm currently looking at the Toshiba 61H71). My main question is just how do I get this beastie into my house?

I've got a Best Buy nearby but they are running around $2600 for the set. I can get it online for several hundred less, but they only deliver to the sidewalk. I'm sure others have faced this problem - do these sets need special care in bringing them indoors or can I get neighbors/handymen to lift&carry? Is it worth the extra $$$ to have Best Buy deliver it inside (I'm assuming they do...)?

And to think, five years ago I was happy with a 25+ year old 19" set....what madness does DVD bring.

Philip____S

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had a 61H71 and the bigger 65HX81 delivered and I can say they were both pretty easy to move. I live in an apartment and it was just a matter of rolling the TVs (they have wheels) to the elevator. Even at several hundred pounds a piece they roll easily. If you have stairs you'll need a strong back to move it, but looking at the size of these sets I'd be concerned about slamming them into the walls on the side of the stairs and navigating any turns in the staircase. Another option, you can always give the delivery guys $20 each to move it inside, I'm sure they would even if they're not supposed to. Don't know if this helps.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Thanks Philip - that helps a lot!
I didn't realize they have wheels. The set has to come up 2 steps from the sidewalk into the house, and then down one step to the living room, but with wheels I think I and a neighbor can handle it. That is, of course, if the $20 to the delivery guys doesn't work - I'll definitely have to try that :)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
If you buy it online you can also request an inside delivery from the truck line..You pay a little more for the freight but it may be worth it....once inside as some said the set is on wheels and very easy to move around as long as there are no steps to deal with..

I bought a 38" RCA HDTV from ABT Electronics online and their delivery service (shipping was a couple hundred from Chicago to Texas, but even after the shipping it was cheaper than local) unboxed the set and placed it wherever I wanted, plugged it in and made sure it would turn on. Only thing they wouldn't do is hook it up...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
One thing to remember is that without the big, spacey tube, most HD sets (using CRT technology) are actually quite thin. I have a 65" Mits and it's depth is only 28 inches deep (that includes the protruding V-shaped cabinet). I don't know the dimensions of a Toshiba, but getting them through even narrow doorways shouldn't be a problem.

Bruce

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
The fellow who delivered my Pioneer RPTV actually brought it all the way up to my second floor condo even though he was only supposed to do sidewalk delivery. He had to go down the ramp to the underground garage with the TV on a dolly, put on the elevator, take it out of the elevator, and into my condo. I had told him I would pay him for it, and then he refused to take my money. Talk about service!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Most newer homes have a 34" to 36" entrance. Sears will do a price match sometimes. It depends on the store and the manager. Mine did plus 10% off. Plus another 10% off for the last one.

PS/ I went to Home depot and bought two sheets of 3/4 oak plywood and solid oak trim for a surround. They ripped it to my specks for free. Then I had to make the final cuts and glue, screw, stain, and varnish it. It looks great. I still put my DVD player on the rptv, but everything else goes on the surround.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have a TW65H80 and it took four of us to get it down the 5 steps into my basement, and there was only slivers of clearance on either side, which was a challenge not to scratch it, and I also had to take the door off. These weigh close to 400lbs, so lifting isn't that easy, and there is little to hold onto (there are hand holds behind the speaker covers). I'd make sure you have a few friends available just in case. You wouldn't want it sliding out of control into something protruding from the door frame and gouge the screen in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks