What's new

Get this! (or better yet, don't!): New Wonka SE? Pan 'N Scan ONLY! Part II (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ted,
is that the new transfer or are those DVDs already available and made with the old transfer that the R1 dvd used?
thnx

Phong

Agent
The petition has been updated to reflect the fact that the upcoming DVD is in open-matte full screen and not pan & scan.
If you aren't comfortable with the change, and wish your name removed from the petition, email [email protected] with details.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you really want to see WB announce an OAR DVD of WW, do not, repeat, DO NOT purchase this disc!
We must make ourselves heard by voting with our pocketbooks, because that is where they will feel it. If it doesn't sell, they will know it is because they did not give the consumer the product we want. IF you do purchase this DVD, they will continue to release MAR'ed "Family" films, because we will be telling them that it doesn't matter.
The line must be drawn here... and no further.
-Rodney
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Don't go soft on us now people! Show some gumption and a little backbone.
Stand up to these suits in their Hollywood Blvd. offices who don't know what the f**k is going on in the real world!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Andy_S

Second Unit
Where exactly in the WB rep quote does it say that a widescreen isn't happening? I've read it twice and the only thing I get from it is that he/she can't talk about it (which may be a good sign).

Jeff

Supporting Actor
When it comes to DVD, I never thought I'd see the day where I see these words:
"entertaining the idea of possibly releasing a widescreen version"
Maybe Warner should entertain the thought of getting a clue.
Jeff

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Jan Strnad said: __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
The main thing we can do is not purchase non-anamorphic DVDS.
If Warner Bros. issues a good anamorphic DVD, we buy it. If they don't, we don't.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
:) I knew you would come to your senses!
wink.gif

Although I can understand your earlier rage over this issue, I am glad you now agree that an all out boycott is the wrong approach, and that buying the good 16 x 9 titles and leaving the P&S on the retailer's shelves is the right way to show support for OAR.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--Looks like I'll have to give in and get the non-OAR disc....unhappily.--
I would like to get a copy of "Secret of NIHM", Don Bluths best film, IMO. The fact that it is P&S'd is the only thing that keeps me from getting it. There is no way I am going to buy what amounts to "VHS on DVD". I can understand wanting a favorite film but if you purchase the vandalized version you are sending a message to the studios that vandalism is an acceptable business practice.
------------------

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you cave in and buy the upcoming disc, you'll just be validating Warner's "market research."

Paul W

Second Unit
So Patrick, what is your point exactly (btw your link isn't working properly). Do you expect the picture to speak for itself?
I'm not sure what you mean, but the picture doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. The movie is being released open matte. I really enjoyed watching the unintended sfx shot of air hoses blowing air up violet's knickers. Really cute.
Uh . . . on second thought, no thanks. I'll pass.
tongue.gif

------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly not going to judge anybody who chooses to purchase this non-OAR abomination, but I won't be.
I don't care if the film in question is an all-time favorite; if it's anything other than the way the filmmakers intended, I'm simply not interested.
Ask someone who loves baseball cards if they'd buy a 1980 Topps Phillies Team Set if 20% was sliced off of each card.
I respect movies and movie-makers too much to support this butchery. As much as it pains me to say, I will not own a DVD of Willy Wonka until a widescreen version is available.
I will not waver. It might seem silly to some, but that's me. :)
------------------
Scott
TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'm not convinced that an all-out Warner boycott isn't the way to go. What do they care if a few thousand HT nuts won't buy one title? A few thousand sales less. But if those HT nuts stop supporting the company entirely, we're talking about lost sales in the millions of units.
IMHO, this is not about a DVD, it's about a philosophy, and I'm going to think twice about supporting a company with Warner's "family-cinema-isn't-significant-art" philosophy.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

PerryD

Supporting Actor
If we do a full boycott of any company that would release a family film in P&S, which company can we buy from then?
Not Disney (George of the Jungle, Goofy Movie, Homeward Bound)
Not Columbia TriStar (Baby Geniuses, Elmo In Grouchland, Karate Kid, Matilda, My Girl, Pippi Longstocking)
Not Fox (Digimon the Movie)
Not MGM (All Dogs Go to Heaven, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Getting Even With Dad, Pebble and the Penguin, Secret of Nimh, Warriors of Virtue)
Not Universal (Babe, Kindergarten Cop, Land Before Time, Leave It to Beaver, Problem Child)
And of coure no Warner (Christmas Story, Pokemon 1-3, Space Jam, and now Willy Wonka)
I think that leaves us with buying only Paramount and Dreamworks DVDs. I guess New Line too. Kind of puts a damper on my hobby though.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Re boycott:
It's like training a dog. You punish the bad behavior and reward the good behavior.
We should simply not buy non-anamorphic DVDs, but continue to buy anamorphics. The dog may be dumb, but eventually the message will sink in.
As for "a few thousand" sales not mattering to WB: Oh, they matter, all right. And so do the man-hours that will go into damage control over this fiasco.
I just hope that WB is savvy enough to realize that the best way to come out a hero here is to say, "We goofed! Here's an anamorphic edition!" The wrong way to handle it will be to get all defensive and take the "if we back down we'll lose face" approach.
People are talking about Willy Wonka. WB can turn all the bad publicity into good publicity if they're smart about it.
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe a boycott is necessary; I do think it's important not to buy the full screen versions if you truly want the correct aspect ratio of Willy Wonka (or any film). Some people might just think: " Oh, well, it's just myself who is buying a single copy of Willy Wonka in full frame - one person here buying it won't make a difference!" (It's similar to voting when some people say that a single vote doesn't matter in an election.) It's important NOT to look at it this way and your single purchase DOES matter. Don't give in to full frame if you believe in correct aspect ratio! Don't sell out! It may not take as many loss of sales of full frame as you think for us to get our way.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I, for one, will *NOT* be buying this title. I will not give in. I did sign the petition, or send an e-mail, or make a long distance phone call for nothing. I won't judge anyone that chooses to buy Wonka... but I do feel it's hypocritical. How can you be a member of this forum and believe everything is stands for... and then go out and buy this title??
frown.gif

Maybe Warner will get a clue. As far as an all out boycott against, not sure if we need to stretch it that far. If so, I'll be more than happy to participate if that's the case. As far as only buying OAR DVD's... well, I already do that. :)
Scott.
------------------
Scott's DVD List

Jay Villero

Agent
I don't know why this gets me angry but it does....
Amazon is STILL advertising it as full screen and widescreen.
Grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks