What's new

Get this! (or better yet, don't!): New Wonka SE? Pan 'N Scan ONLY! Part II (1 Viewer)

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
I just got off the phone with a rep for Warner. Their decision behind pulling the widescreen version of the film was based on market research. It seems they found most families prefer the full frame format. In retrospect, they discovered there is a substantial percentage that want the widescreen version. So, you can expect to see another release - a widescreen release - "very soon."
This makes no sense on a number of levels.
1) I could understand -- barely -- market research leading a company to go full-frame only on a title they were about to start work on. I can't understand using it to remove a feature that had already been on a previous and now OOP DVD release and/or that had been announced as being included on the release in question. I mean, it's one thing to say "Well, this study shows kids prefer P&S, so we should make sure there's a P&S version on the disc," and quite another to say "Well, this study shows kids prefer P&S, so we should make sure we remove the already-completed-and-paid-for widescreen version from the disc."
2) Furthermore, why would Warner announce/leak an upcoming widescreen release when the version in question hasn't even shipped yet? All it can do is cannibalize sales of their P&S SE, as those who might have been on the fence ("I don't like full-frame, but I'm not going to be able to get a widescreen version anyway, so I might as well get this one with all the cool extra features after all.") will now hold off for a rumored widescreen release.
Now, I'm not saying that this isn't exactly what's going on at Warner, mind you. I'm just saying it makes no sense.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
This double post has been edited and modified to fit your screen. :)
See below
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on August 08, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Wonka said:
Nothing's been declared official yet. Those who have called Warner have gotten a message saying a possible WS release in the future "is being taken under consideration," or something to that effect. So it's still up in the air.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
And I believe the upcoming DVD contains a brand new, remastered-from-scratch print. So that may also contribute as to why the new Wonka has no WS; they didn't want to reuse the old print, which was considered quite muddy and rough-looking.
What does a new print have to do with not providing a widescreen transfer on DVD? This is the same 1.33:1 print that would have been matted and used for a 16x9 WS transfer as easily as an open-matte full-frame 4x3 transfer.
In fact, Warner has prepared the 16x9 WS transfer from this same new print but has chosen not to utilize it for this transfer.
Remember people...as long as you've got a new transfer...you can do it WS just as easily as open-matte/P/S. We're not talking about a 16-mm print that was already panned and scanned from the get go. We're talking about the same prints they send to theaters.
-dave

Andy_S

Second Unit
2) Furthermore, why would Warner announce/leak an upcoming widescreen release when the version in question hasn't even shipped yet?
They're not trying to be sneaky here. They didn't realize the demand for widescreen would be so strong and now are trying to fix their mistake (or at least looking into it). What difference does it make if it cannibalizes their open-matte version?? They're getting our money either way! The other option would be to not get anything from people who refuse to buy it.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I'm #1585 on the petition. I hope it will stir something positive up, but I can't help but be reminded of the late minute fiasco by WB with Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker disc...
Anyway, I got Suncoast's Replay magazine in the mail today, and Wonka was one of their "Editor's Picks" and garnered a 96 on their ratings scale.
In the write-up, the specs include the widescreen anamorphic formats as well as full-screen. On the same page, The NeverEnding Story is listed with "no specs available at this time". The Goonies is also on the same page, but no mention of which AR is given.
My question is if there has never been an official announcement from WB about the AR on the Wonka disc, where are all of these retail outlets getting this information from? To me, it seems like someone must have let it be known to the retail market that there were two AR's on the disc at one point in order to boost sales and to get the word out ahead of time.
And as someone pointed out many posts ago, Mr. Kenny had the disc in his hand at Comic-Con. What - he didn't notice the lack of WS on the disc but announced it any way?
This is Wonked up.
-g
(If WB releases a Batman SE in FS/PS only because it's a "children's film", then the fury that will come from this keyboard will make this current blunder look like a mere clerical error...)
[Edited last by GaryEA on August 08, 2001 at 06:17 PM]

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I typically stay out of the really high profile debates in the Forum but I just have to add my two cents to this topic.
I still have the original release and I'm glad. I'm also glad I now don't feel compelled to shell-out more cash for a replacement (which I would have done had the 16x9 transfer been included on the rerelease). Guess you lost another sale Warner.
N

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
This petition is really working well to the advantage of us Home Theater Enthusiasts. Now let's band together and fight the rental pricing issue.
John

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
#5444 and damn proud to sign it. Damn proud.
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
These news flashes, just in:
After obtaining market research saying that people prefer blue cars over green cars, GM has announced that it will no longer be manufacturing green cars.
After obtaining market research saying that children prefer chicken soup over tomato soup, Campbell's has announced that it will stop making tomato soup.
After obtaining market research saying that more parents would rather have a baby boy than a baby girl, God has announced that He will stop making girls.
And on and on and on....
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After obtaining market research saying that people prefer blue cars over green cars, GM has announced that it will no longer be manufacturing green cars.
Yes, that's exactly how it works. The colors available for colors is essentially the result of figuring out the cost to create them compared to what will sell. If no one bought blue cars, GM would stop making them. And that probably explains why there are few hot-pink, puke-green, and rainbow colored cars. The car companies don't believe the profit is there.
AOL-Time-Warner is a publicly held company, ultimately responsible to their stock-holders. For whatever reasons, they think that a full-screen, single-disc release of WW will be more profitable, and thus most benefit the owners, than the widescreen only release would have been.
All the arguments about art, artistic vision, etc. are irrelevant. What matters is the money. The key is to demonstrate that cost to preserving artistic merits will yield commensurate profits.

JasonB

Agent
These news flashes, just in:
After obtaining market research saying that children prefer chicken soup over tomato soup, Campbell's has announced that it will stop making tomato soup.
After obtaining market research saying that more parents would rather have a baby boy than a baby girl, God has announced that He will stop making girls.
And on and on and on....
LOL!! Thanks for the laugh Jan. Yes I'm still extremely pissed at Warner.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Suncoast's Replay magazine in the mail today, and Wonka was one of their "Editor's Picks" and garnered a 96 on their ratings scale.
In the write-up, the specs include the widescreen anamorphic formats as well as full-screen.
Could it be possible that the reviewer hadnt seen the DVD? This was from Suncoast
wink.gif
------------------
Dear MGM : Quality over quantity & Consistency!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner
[Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on August 08, 2001 at 07:21 PM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
#5534.
As I stated in the petition, this is bullshit. We are being made to bend to what some disillusioned, cash-hungry "film studio" thinks is right. I am with anyone that says we must do everything within out power to eliminate this shit.
This being Warner, it is of no suprise. There has never been a more spineless and inept studio in the past 10 years. When they made the decision to not release 2001 to theaters, I had an inkling to dump them. Now, that decision is certain. I am on full boycott of whatever they produce.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
WB has screwed up big time in the last year. They released a Kubrick box set with awful transfers saying he approved. Then 9 months or so later they re-release it with pristine transfers. If he approved the first time why redo? Then they screw up the re-release of Excorcist to theatres. They simply couldn't make up there minds on a release pattern. Then along comes Superman scheduled to go out theatrically. They even produce a brand-new trailer just for that. They tested the film in San Antonio (why there?) during the week the NCAA basketball championship was being televised, no one showed up to the 7 theatres showing the film in large numbers. They were home watching the games. Now Willy. They claim that they did market research and that people preferred full screen to widescreen. I can see the focus group entering the room. A dozen housewifes taken at random from the Glendale Galleria walking with their kids into the interview room. 2 TV sets, probably 20" screens (OK, 27"). They show Willy full screen on one tv and widescreen on the other. The question is, "which do you prefer?" No brainer for our respondents, they choose the full screen. They don't explain to them why one is full and one widescreen and what aspect ratios are, etc. The kids, don't bother asking them (because they wouldn't object). Market research over. The accountants get what they want, save $50,000 in mastering costs and leave the widescreen version off the DVD even though there's very compelling evidence they sent out info saying it would be. This company is truly "loony". Duh, duh, That's All Folks!
------------------
[Edited last by Peter Kline on August 08, 2001 at 08:21 PM]
[Edited last by Peter Kline on August 08, 2001 at 08:24 PM]

GaryEA

Second Unit
Could it be possible that the reviewer hadnt seen the DVD? This was from Suncoast.
The same idea crossed my mind, but they still printed the info, along with a number of other retail outlets.
So if WB never officially announced that there would be a WS on the disc, why would retailers such as Suncoast print and shill what is essentially rumor and false advertising?
Just trying to understand the bullshit behind the bullshit.
-g

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm #5634 on the petition. I'm bummed about this to say the least. I was really looking forward to seeing Wonka in widescreen for the first time.
Looks like my $ will go to another movie now.
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks