What's new

George Lucas - out of touch? (1 Viewer)

Marlon

Agent
Real Name
Marlon
I have not read the Time piece yet but Maxim and Newsweek had stories
I read the Maxim piece and his response was basically that folks on the Internet need to get a life; he doesn't pay much attention to their opinions...

It's unfortunate the converse isn't true, then he might start paying attention.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I read the Maxim piece and his response was basically that folks on the Internet need to get a life; he doesn't pay much attention to their opinions...
I can see it now. Lucas joining Jay and Silent Bob, beating up the Internet reviewers at their parents' houses. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Episode 1 had 4 lightsabers

It's the greatest film of all time

Episode 2 has a minimum of 17 lightsabers

It will be the greatest film of all time

It's just that simple

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
And this should be at the Home Theater Software section why? Please, why people are even responding to this. I suggest you visit the movies section. There you will see an official topic so you wouldn’t even need to make a new topic.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I can see it now. Lucas joining Jay and Silent Bob, beating up the Internet reviewers at their parents' houses.
That about sums it up.

By the way, Sam is correct. This is a software forum. And there is a Star Wars thread in the movies section.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's correct Brian
I've added Lightsabers to Citizen Kane. It's a better movie with the chorus girls at the dinner party having lightsabers. Matching the grain was a bitch, but I managed :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
2. Stubborn but truthfully realizing just how bad Ep 1 really was.
You people act like it's the most wretched film in decades. Not so. For many, it was merely average, and for them, that that's not enough for Star Wars. I loved the film, but can see where some of you are coming from. But a film that daring in scope just hadn't been done in a long while before or since. The Matrix? No way. Arguably a better film, but no where near as epic.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well put, Adam :)
Some people need to understand that just as they are convinced that TPM "sucked," there are some who are equally vehement in their love for the film. I thought we all understood opinions do not equal fact. To me, TPM is a flawed, yet exhilariting and spellbinding film. But I can see why others don't care for it.
But my opinion remains unchanged: I never get tired of it. When I finally buy a PJ, it'll be the first film I screen. I don't give a shite what the "general consensus" is.
Do ya think the poor horse has enough of this beating? :p

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Maybe Lucus will release the original trilogy on D-VHS. Since it doesn't allow for extra features and menus, etc. and only the movie he will not have to spend years and years getting it "just right" for home release. I would love to see any Star Wars movie in 1080i.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The OT on DVHS would be the reason to get me buy a DVHS deck. That, or Lord of the Rings.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm quite postive you won't see the original trilogy on any format besides VHS before the DVD release

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I've read that Lucas stopped reading the internet feedback because he was offended at the kinds of things people were saying about him and his film(s). I guess he just got sick of it.

-Tom

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
There's nothing like debating a topic, like I was a few

weeks ago, with some person at a forum (other than this

one), and then you come to find out you were debating

with a 12 year old...

HomeTheaterForum is a bit different, but by-in-large,

you do find a bunch of inane, pointless comments about

the merits or detractors of films on most movie forums.

I would avoid the internet if I was a filmmaker working

on a film with a "fanboy" contingent too.

People are already reviewing this movie based on the

trailers.... what idiots craving a little attention.

And, it is always easier to attack something than to

praise it.

Mark

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mark

Harry Knowles, yes we all feel that way about him, HAS actually seen it. Of course, I have it on good authority that Lucasfilm sent the guy over there, and being human he couldn't say no. Then he cooked up his whole "agent snuck it out" BS story. It's all a marketing dealy to bring the naysayers back into the fold

The film has 17 lightsabers, who can naysay that?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Yeah, Harry saw it, but I have it from good sources that Lucas did not intentionally let the film get into Knowles' hands. Anyways, Harry loved the film (though probably not like he loves The Lord Of The Rings), and all the feedback from those have seen it (e.g. Time, though beware of spoilers in their recent articles) has been positive, so maybe Lucas has pulled this one off. I certainly hope so.

-Tom

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah. I wouldn't go as far as saying that GL has lost touch...but he's definitely out there. While part of me disagrees with what he's done, the other part of me applaudes him for making "his" film.
As for this installment...Star Wars fever has hit me again. Pre-Episode 1, I was an insane fanboy running multiple SW Websites, buying all the toys, and camping out for tix...the E1 dissapointment soured me on the whole idea of Star Wars for quite some time, but as Terrell can attest, I'm insanely pumped up again. From what I've heard so far I think I'm going to be happy...and another thing is that during the E1 craze, I over-spoiled myself...and knew everything already. I'm going into this one completely unspoiled, so hopefully it will be a good all around experience!
BTW...anybody wanna sell me their Definitive Collection LD set of the OT :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I thought Lucas did the script with one of the Young Indy veterans this time, though? I was already expecting better things when I saw that on IMDB.

Phantom Menace was not that bad a film. I think listening to the internet is a pretty insane thing for Lucas to start doing. For one thing I remember when JMS had to back out of Babylon 5 chats because if someone suggested a plot idea it was a legal nightmare!

I'd say you're going to have a hard time writing a good movie by committee, which is really what people seem to be arguing. Just because you might have seen some good ideas and directions listed on the 'net due to your personal preferences, doesn't Lucas wouldn't just see it as a total mess. Bet there were a lot worse ideas out there than those in TPM.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree...and while I still don't think Episode 1 was that bad of a film, after the initial insanity of "there's a new Star Wars flick!" warn off...I really didn't feel like watching it...ever again. I've only watched it once since I bought the DVD...and it only made me want the OT more.

As for Lucas making films by committee...I agree that that would be one of the more stupid things possible. His vision is the reason why were all posting in this thread...and for better or worse, that's the way he should keep doing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks