What's new

George Lucas - out of touch? (1 Viewer)

Dion

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I think you miss the point slightly. The fact remains that public opinion can (and often does) shift considerably. My attempt at reductio ad absurdum remains valid.

mark_d

Second Unit
I -love- this thread (well, up until this page).

I wanna see it go on, but please, before any more discussion, agree on a definition of "truth".

FWIW, I've been with Damin. If we move away from the word truth and use the word fact instead...

How can we say cinematography in movie a > movie b?

Directing in movie d < c?

etc.

For example, I thought the tyke playing Ani in TPM was great (acting) but I thought some of the lines he had to deliver were poor (script) but I can not prove any of my opinions. They have no basis in fact. What facts could there be?

Give me a tangible as to why LOTR is better than, say, Mortal Kombat or Krull (both of which had greater entertainment value for me).

Better acting? How do we prove it.

Direction? Prove it.

Mark

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
movie b?
Directing in movie d < c?
etc.
such questions have remained unanswered (or simply run around) since i first asked them. my intuition tells me that anyone who has made such claims thus far is either unwilling or unable to craft a logical defense.
all involved, however, may be inclined to brush up on Hume's 'Of The Standard Of Taste'. i've written pieces arguing against much of it in the past (i especially think he errs with regard to the 'Don Quixote' example), but it is one of the most worthwhile basic texts on the topic, i believe.
DJ

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i wanted to revive this thread because i think it's funny as all hell.

....that's what i like to see, little things...hitting each other!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks