George Lucas - out of touch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    There is a Q&A section at Time Magazine's web site covering Episode II and one question was asked that may interest those who questioned him reading HTF...
    Q&A - George Lucas and Star Wars

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Maybe he's busy. Maybe the internet bores him - it's not everyone's favorite thing to do.

3. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

I know if I were making a movie, the last thing I would be doing is reading fanatic ravings from a bunch of anonymous people about how my film SHOULD be made.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Yep, the masterpiece that is "The Phantom Menace" certainly proved that all of those fanatic ravings were totally unfounded. [​IMG]

5. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

Uh, have you ever read some of the things people said they wanted to see? When you've got a million different ideas of what should be in a movie coming at you at once, at least he had the guts to make the film the way he wanted. Good or bad.
    [​IMG]

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Yoda makes the cover of Time this week. The cover story indicates that "Episode II" is a much better movie (more in line with the trilogy we know & love).

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Yes, I've read some of the ravings. Some were way out there but not all. No more bizarre than some of George's own ideas. As for guts, I don't think it took anything of the sort. All it took was money - his money. He could have done anything he wanted because he had the financial resources to do so, and he did just that. In my opinion the end result was decidedly bad. I'd be willing to bet that Lucas understood that he'd be extremely successful with the first new Star Wars film in 16 years, no matter how "good" it was. $431 million proved him right.

I'm hoping that Episode II is at least 200% better.

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

From the classic courtroom episode of the Clerks cartoon:

9. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I would love to see these fanatical dimwits make a film. YOu could count on it being the worst creation in the history of modern cinema.

10. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Unfortunately, there's not much Lucas can do with "constructive criticism" like "JarJar Binks is soooo gay, yo! He sucks, d00d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

11. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I would love to see these fanatical dimwits make a film. YOu could count on it being the worst creation in the history of modern cinema.
    It probably wouldn't have been any worse than what Lucas did to EP1. [​IMG]

12. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    What I was eluding to was that many had hoped that their posts would be read by Lucas, especially prior to PM-I release. The Star Wars topic was the ONLY thing on many people's minds for so long!

13. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

In order to elude criticism, I will only allude to the fact that a dictionary is still better than a spell-checker.

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Silly Internet rantings should be ignored. What bothered me a great deal more was that Lucas, out of sheer willfull ignorance and stubbornness, simply REFUSED to face up to his own weaknesses and problems (such as the accumulated rust from not having directed a film in 22 years and his very weak script-writing skills, not withstanding the apparent attitude of some that he simply can't make mistakes), but chose instead to surround himself with yes-men instead of seeking constructive criticism within the film industry.

It's SO good to FINALLY get acknowledgement from the man that he made a lot of lousy choices with TPM.

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    How much time should we expect someone to spend online when he runs a multi-million dollar corporation and is writing and directing 3 films with little break between them? Lucas has his priorities in a rather different order than most of us here. he isn't out of touch simply because he doesn't have time to waste reading the talkback on AICN. the internet isn't the be all and end all of being in touch.

DJ

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

17. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

Well, Robert, no one is saying that there weren't lousy choices made, but the fact remains that it was his film to make great or ruin. If I were in his position, I would have been the same way. I'm sure he heeded some advice (he did show it to pals Coppola, Spielberg & Scorcese for feedback). But ultimately the final product was his. It was his ideas, his company producing it and more importantly, his money.
    The thing is, it's all subjective. Some people love TPM, some hate it. Not everyone will be 100% satisfied. And as far as listening to other's input, who says it would have been any better? We simply will never know. I mean, that was SO 3 years ago anyway.[​IMG]
    Move along....move along...

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

19. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I have not read the Time piece yet but Maxim and Newsweek had stories and interview as well and he came off as one of two ways to me:

1. In denial.

or,

2. Stubborn but truthfully realizing just how bad Ep 1 really was.

I believe 2 is more true, based on what I read. Especially when he tried to defend Jar Jar so half-heartedly. "Well kids loved him!"

There was some interesting stuff , especially the stuff about how much he USED to rely on other people's (directors) oppinions. At least, that's the way I took it.

Brian

20. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

Robert, as far as I know, Lucas never said he was a great scriptwriter and even admits to not being very good at writing dialogue. As to why he never got help with TPM script, who knows? Maybe for the first one he just wanted to do it himself.

Like I said, it's his film. Nothing we can do about it anyway (we do agree on this at least, yes?). You either like it or don't. You gotta live with it either way.