What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Soooo, I keep going back to Heartstopper and have ordered the books now. I will post a spoiler tagged analysis of why I think this series is so special and is giving curmudgeons like me the feels over and over and over. I am not alone. Nothing is hitting me like this. Call Me By Your Name is a close second, but that was more of an intense reawakening of long dormant feelings of loss and regret, love mixed with melancholy, related to former loves now lost to AIDS and cancer.

I will post that spoiler tagged follow up on Heartstopper in several weeks.

As for the Disney thing, yea, well, it is mostly accurate, as ptb2017fr noted, the love interests in Love, Victor clearly are at least talking about having sex and its been a while, but didn't they even talk about lube?

Between Elsa needing to come out and Luca basically being the story of a gay kid worried about revealing his true self and being murdered for it....hard to miss which culture is being appropriated here... that and how the heavily promoted gay character in Jungle Cruise had one line of dialogue easily excised for the Asian market that made him gay, and ya, Disney, we have a problem.

Unrelated, the next series I plan to watch that I keep seeing very good word on is Our Flag Means Death
Gay pirates!

Anyone seen it yet?

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I cannot wait!..but Imma gonna haveto. September 30th?!?! SEPTEMBER..but really all-but-OCTOBER! 😭

Last edited:

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Ive just started catching up with Swedish series Young Royals. Hope it doesn't go the way I'm expecting it to go, which is bad. Though like in Heartstopper the boys are awfully young, something that concerns me as I enjoy watching these shows. On another site I recently published a video tribute to lost French actor and super hunk Gaspard Ulliel. In one brief clip he was accompanied on the red carpet at a premiere by a fully clothed 14 year old boy. I was banned for encouraging under age sex!
In the meantime TK and Carlos got engaged in Lonestar! Hurray! And there's to be another series. Great! Am so in love with this couple. The love/affection shown between them is magical. And they are both so hot!

Last edited:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I absolutely HATE it when they do that!
Who knows? We don't know.

What we do know is that this is *not* a Hallmark movie. We were excited that Hallmark was adding gay romances to their catalogue -- Hallmark had denied we existed for so long and even temporarily capitulated to anti-gay pressure to excise a gay-inclusive advertisement from their commercial breaks!--, more than we should have been excited (and overly optimistic) that any Hallmark or Lifetime film with LGBTQ+ characters would be better than any other Hallmark or Lifetime films.

What you're mentioning seems to me be more akin to those films like Scary Movie or Meet the Spartans where the best (and sometimes the only truly funny) parts were in the trailers.

The New York Times has an article on Bros. They mention the test screening audience scores:

For “Bros” to create further opportunities, it needs to find a mass audience. Heading into test screenings, Stoller described himself as “naïvely optimistic,” confident that the movie worked emotionally and that most of the jokes would land.

According to Stoller — Universal wouldn’t offer specific numbers — “Bros” tested higher than any other movie he has worked on, even with straight audience members. Viewers who identified as L.G.B.T.Q. scored it even higher.

As Apatow put it, “The crowd basically said to us, in a way that I thought was very emotional, we’re ready for this movie, and we’ve been ready for it for a really long time.”

Link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/18/movies/bros-billy-eichner.html

Maybe the film will come out and I'll be disappointed. I'd rather be excited for it right now. Jud Apatow is a producer on a film for us, by us, with us, that just might be fantastic.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In my household we just finished watching Heartstopper. I'm on board with everyone here, it's a great show. It's everything I wanted Glee to be but wasn't. While it still maintains a storybook feel with roots to its graphic novel origins, it also seems really rooted in reality. Someone mentioned Olivia Coleman being such a great mom, actually I think her character probably represents the norm nowadays in how parents react to their child coming out. Now for next season, I want to learn more about Isaac. I know the type, likes to hang with his friends but lurk in the background, never saying much and nose always in a book. He seems really intriguing.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Fire Island is available now on Hulu. My mom read a review in the paper and now wants to watch it with me.
I think that will be tonight.

Also, on a much more somber note, Terrence Davies's new film Benediction is in theaters today.

It is getting rave reviews. I am seeing it later today.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Saint-Narcisse on iTunes for $4.99. A Film Movement release. It covers many bases. LGB; twins; incest; child molestation in a monastery; flagellation during self-abuse. It's a Canadian blast from Bruce LaBruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks