What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (4 Viewers)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see anything when I did a thread search but an interesting storyline is part of All American (CW/Netflix). The main story is of a Crenshaw high school football prodigy who gets into Beverly Hill High with hopes of becoming an NFL player. One of his best friends is "Coop" a Black lesbian struggling with her family's acceptance and growing up with the temptation of gangs to make a better life. Surprisingly well done, and it's one of the best secondary stories on the show so far (I'm finishing Season 1).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There are three new streaming releases I’d like to talk about. Flee is nominated for 3 Oscars and is very, very good. It’s classified as a documentary, but doesn’t play at all that way. While there is some news footage mixed in, the whole story is told in animation like a regular narrative-style movie. It’s about a gay boy who escapes Afghanistan with his family in the 1980s and eventually makes his way to Holland. Hulu gives you the option to watch it dubbed or in its original Dutch with subtitles.

The second film is Potato Dreams of America. Also based on a true story and similarly-themed, a gay Russian boy dreams of escaping the poverty and oppression of Russia, and when his mother becomes a mail-order bride for a conservative-Christian American man, it looks like he may get his dream, except America in the 1990s wasn’t quite what he had bargained for. This one is not too bad, the first half set in Russia, is highly stylized, like an American sit-com, and the second half in America, much more realistic.

The third film I haven’t actually watched yet. It’s called “Wild About Harry”, but it turns out it’s not new. It was originally released back in 2009 as “American Primitive” but failed to make even a ripple, and was quickly forgotten. The company that owns the film, decided to rename and reissue it in 2021. It’s now available to stream for free on Tubi. This one is set in 1973 and is about a father (Tate Donovan) fighting to keep custody of his daughters after he is outed.

RollieNZ

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Rowley
I saw Potato Dreams last week at the Sydney Queer Film Festival. I thought it was very good.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
GENTLEMAN JACK- that great British LGTBQI+ TV series is back. The first series came out in 2019 and covid must have delayed a second series. It has been a three year wait .Watched the first episode of series two last night. Brilliant all the way. Only 8 episodes in each season. Based on diaries set the 1800's.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Dont know if I posted about this gorgeous film before but I know there’s now a subtitled version available so maybe more of you will have seen Été 85, Summer of 85, a love story between two teenagers in France. Saw it three times in the cinema and have it on Blu Ray to watch so far two more times. I am in love with Felix Lefebvre who plays the lead!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It's falls just the right side of sweet and saccharine - plenty of teenage angst and emotion - with great performances.:)
Ep 3 has the most amazing and euphoric use of 'Clearest Blue' by Chvrches - love it!

Thanks, Keith! I haven't started it yet but I'm happy to know it works! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really wasn't planning to watch it. With my teenage angst days long behind me and more interested in mature stories, I thought it wouldn't hold my attention. But when I found myself on Netflix this afternoon, I decided to sample it since it was less than 30 minutes, and it was easy to get hooked on its sweetness and sincerity. I will watch the remaining seven episodes.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Like watching a Disney gay tv series.

Speaking of which, I enjoyed the hell out of this new movie on Disney+

It's a story about a gay theater kid and his best gal pal who run away to New York to audition for the Broadway musical version of Lilo & Stitch (which is a funny joke in and of itself)

The lead, Rueby Wood, is an amazing young talent and once again Lisa Kudrow offers much more in the way of character development than was on the written page. We even get an appearance by Brooks (Broadway's The Prom) Ashmanskas. While the word "gay" is never actually uttered, the movie makes NO bones about the fact that Nate is. I thought it was silly and charming in every way. Loved it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks