What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Of course not. He is one of the real-life celebrities that intermingle, not a principal character.
Though the Rock story as told in this fantasy is the opposite of the reality, while the portrait of Henry Wilson is accurate up to the point he reforms, which Henry never did! Cukor is pretty much on the money, but most of it is Hollywood as we wish it were, not as it is or was.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Really looking forward to diving into Hollywood. Everyone i've talked with loves it. It sounds like another well-done revisionist view of Hollywood history as was the case with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which I thought was great.

So, after I watch the last three episodes of Ozark which has its own gay subplot, more so in Seasons 1 and 2, I'll start watching this.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Though the Rock story as told in this fantasy is the opposite of the reality, while the portrait of Henry Wilson is accurate up to the point he reforms, which Henry never did! Cukor is pretty much on the money, but most of it is Hollywood as we wish it were, not as it is or was.
I‘m only on episode 3. You could have given a spoiler alert on that!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've seen through episode 3 (I don't binge anything) and am enjoying it immensely. Jim Parsons is really relishing the role of the vile Henry Willson. I don't get why people think you have to suspend your disbelief or that this is an alternate reality. Come on guys, all fiction is made up stories. This is a fictional movie studio, and the principal characters are fictional. Yes real-life celebrities intermingle in the stories, but even bio-pics make up half the stuff the real characters do, so what's the big deal?

I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm rather surprised at the mixed-to-negative reviews from The Hollywood Reporter and especially Variety. I'm really liking it a lot.

All I can say is "just wait." :)

The first episodes ARE trashy fun but I will look forward to your thoughts once you finish the series and to see if the good will still holds.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've seen through episode 3 (I don't binge anything) and am enjoying it immensely. Jim Parsons is really relishing the role of the vile Henry Willson. I don't get why people think you have to suspend your disbelief or that this is an alternate reality. Come on guys, all fiction is made up stories. This is a fictional movie studio, and the principal characters are fictional. Yes real-life celebrities intermingle in the stories, but even bio-pics make up half the stuff the real characters do, so what's the big deal?
Having now seen the show in full, I’m afraid I’m going to have to eat those words.
All I can say is "just wait." :)

The first episodes ARE trashy fun but I will look forward to your thoughts once you finish the series and to see if the good will still holds.
Yup. The historical revisionism was way beyond my wildest expectation. I mean, I get the point, which was
what if a studio had actually had the courage to defy the Hays code in 1947? History may have taken a completely different course. Rock Hudson would have publicly come out at the Oscars, the Gay Liberation Movement would have begun 20 years earlier and they would be making gay romance movies by the 1950s. :rolleyes:Yeah, it was a bit much to swallow.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just finished binging the series and I loved it. :emoji_heart::emoji_heart::emoji_heart:
It is meant to be a 'Hollywood Story', so with that firmly in mind, you can suspend your disbelief and wallow in its feel-good fantasy.

From a HTF point of view, wouldn't have been better if the editor had the negative in the boot of his car instead of just a 'print'?

PS: Interesting that the Pet Shop Boys have just had a single off their new album called 'Dreamland' - coincidence or what?
Regarding your spoiler, no because
that would have been theft as the studio legally owns the negative. Editors are allowed to backup their work with copies.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I thought this might be of interest to some of you. This Sunday at 8:00pm UTC+1 (3pm EDT / Noon PDT).

EX1S0CwXQAYK9bc

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Criterion Channel is showing Tomboy through 31 May. An early film from Celine Sciamma who last year gave us the extraordinary Portrait of a Lady on Fire. This is a lovely story about a family who moves with their 2 children during summer and how they adapt to their surroundings. One, a 10-year old, decides to pass as a boy. The charade can't last, but the ending is...See for yourself. It's quite an extraordinary film about childhood and acceptance of differences.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I've got a months free trial of Amazon Prime and I was wondering what gay themed films they had on offer (I'm so shallow ;)).
I stumbled upon 'Before the fall', which was a pleasant diversion. After watching it and then hunting around around the Internet for more information on the leads, I discovered it was a loose re-working of 'Pride and Prejudice' - lightbulb moment - that's why the story-line played out the way it did!
Beautiful to watch and a there's a few scenes full of Austenish Angst. I won't 'spoiler' the ending for anyone else who wants to follow my little escape...... Stay safe.

Last edited:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Has anyone seen the award winning film 15 YEARS from Israel.? Has won several awards including Best Film. A great movie.
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like there is a DVD and is on Amazon Prime along with other streaming services.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For those of you looking to binge-watch a series.
I just finished A Place to Call Home.

I had seen the DVDs at Costco many months ago and thought it looked a bit too Hallmark Channel TV series-esque for me.

A few weeks ago, I heard it had a gay character, so i decided to give it a chance, maybe something to watch with mom. And, well, it was quite the entertaining six-season ride over the last few weeks.

Set in Australia in the 1950s, the story launches with Sarah, a Jewish nurse that survived Nazis and is now looking for a new place to call home. She finds herself in Inverness, Australia, and immediately entwined in the lives of the town's most prestigious family, the Blighs. Without saying much else, over the six seasons, there are several gay male characters, all impossibly handsome and buff, and a few gay women too.

The whole thing felt like a delightful mix of
20 percent Downtown Abbey and​
60 percent Dynasty,​
20 percent Mad Men.​
As a blend of those, this show is decidedly focused on romance, hearts, and souls with hints of Douglas Sirk in there. It also addresses anti-Semitism, racism, homophobia, classism, and sexism.
While it at times it may be a touch preachy, it was done through the characters I cared about and I always remained checked in.
  • GIve me a spunky single woman who does not take crap from anyone and I am in.
  • Mix it with gorgeous people being terribly secretive and conniving while thinking they're doing it for the right reasons, and I am in.
  • Give me a cast of characters that I care about that includes gay men falling in love and occasionally taking their shirts off, and I am in.
A Place to Call Home.jpg

I really love that my likes and dislikes or characters changed over time. I went from being really irritated by some of them, to loving them, and others getting more flawed, real.

The series creator is an openly gay man. I am not surprised.

In the end, it did end up being treacly, but it was also romantic, dishy, melodramatic, fun.
I cared about the characters and their journeys.

Six seasons, 10-14 episodes each. The series finale was back a few years, so careful Googling the actors or you risk spoilers.

Here is a link to the US Trailer for season 1 that doesn't spoil it.

Cheers!

Last edited:

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
For those of you looking to binge-watch a series.
I just finished A Place to Call Home.

I had seen the DVDs at Costco many months ago and thought it looked a bit too Hallmark Channel TV series-esque for me.

A few weeks ago, I heard it had a gay character, so i decided to give it a chance, maybe something to watch with mom. And, well, it was quite the entertaining six-season ride over the last few weeks.

Set in Australia in the 1950s, the story launches with Sarah, a Jewish nurse that survived Nazis and is now looking for a new place to call home. She finds herself in Inverness, Australia, and immediately entwined in the lives of the town's most prestigious family, the Blighs. Without saying much else, over the six seasons, there are several gay male characters, all impossibly handsome and buff, and a few gay women too.

The whole thing felt like a delightful mix of
20 percent Downtown Abbey and​
60 percent Dynasty,​
20 percent Mad Men.​
As a blend of those, this show is decidedly focused on romance, hearts, and souls with hints of Douglas Sirk in there. It also addresses anti-Semitism, racism, homophobia, classism, and sexism.
While it at times it may be a touch preachy, it was done through the characters I cared about and I always remained checked in.
  • GIve me a spunky single woman who does not take crap from anyone and I am in.
  • Mix it with gorgeous people being terribly secretive and conniving while thinking they're doing it for the right reasons, and I am in.
  • Give me a cast of characters that I care about that includes gay men falling in love and occasionally taking their shirts off, and I am in.
View attachment 73460

I really love that my likes and dislikes or characters changed over time. I went from being really irritated by some of them, to loving them, and others getting more flawed, real.

The series creator is an openly gay man. I am not surprised.

In the end, it did end up being treacly, but it was also romantic, dishy, melodramatic, fun.
I cared about the characters and their journeys.

Six seasons, 10-14 episodes each. The series finale was back a few years, so careful Googling the actors or you risk spoilers.

Here is a link to the US Trailer for season 1 that doesn't spoil it.

Cheers!

Yes, I was hooked all the way through. Great series.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I've got a months free trial of Amazon Prime and I was wondering what gay themed films they had on offer (I'm so shallow ;)).
I stumbled upon 'Before the fall', which was a pleasant diversion. After watching it and then hunting around around the Internet for more information on the leads, I discovered it was a loose re-working of 'Pride and Prejudice' - lightbulb moment - that's why the story-line played out the way it did!
Beautiful to watch and a there's a few scenes full of Austenish Angst. I won't 'spoiler' the ending for anyone else who wants to follow my little escape...... Stay safe.

surely you’re not talking about the German Nazi school for special athletes movie with the young Max Riemhelt in? No Austen references in that!

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Just watched End Of the Century and thought it incredibly boring, with two unattractive and not very interesting lead characters. So I guess you can’t please everyone!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Anybody watched Scream, Queen on Shudder? It's a great exploration of the not-so-subtle subtext of A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge and its impact on the career of star Mark Patton, as well as the subsequent embrace of the film by the queer community.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks