Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just noticed that Torch Song Trilogy has been added to HBOMax apparently in HD, which I believe is the first time it has been available as such. Come on Warner, put it out for sale already!
I'm surprised that wasn't included in the Anne Bancroft box set.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
If you're an Amazon Prime member and have any interest in the theater, you owe it to yourself to stream Every Act of Life, an engrossing documentary on the life and career of Terrence McNally. Lots of Broadway legend talking heads and information about his personal life I never knew.

Terrence was here for a Pride event in the early 2000s, and he had a Q&A afterwards where I got to meet him. Tremendously friendly and I got to talk to him about The Rink, one of my very favorite of all the musicals he worked on. Thankfully, The Rink gets a nice segment in the documentary.

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
If you're an Amazon Prime member and have any interest in the theater, you owe it to yourself to stream Every Act of Life, an engrossing documentary on the life and career of Terrence McNally. Lots of Broadway legend talking heads and information about his personal life I never knew.
It was wonderful, Matt. I watched it right after he passed and cried through the whole thing (but then again I cry through everything.) Really really well done!

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
But I'm a Cheerleader (Criterion Channel) 1999. Campy satire about gay conversion camps. My wife and I enjoyed it. The cast seems to have enjoyed making it. It makes its point with gentle humor that no one can make you change your true nature.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
But I'm a Cheerleader (Criterion Channel) 1999. Campy satire about gay conversion camps. My wife and I enjoyed it. The cast seems to have enjoyed making it. It makes its point with gentle humor that no one can make you change your true nature.
Fabulous movie-watched it several times over the years.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That also has RuPaul in a male role, unlike the Brady Bunch movies.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm done with streaming after what Hulu did to The Golden Girls.

At least there's still DVD, Blu-ray, and 4k UHD. That's why threads like this matter: to help promote gay-themed films that I might otherwise never have heard of.

EricSchulz

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Just finished binging the series and I loved it. :emoji_heart::emoji_heart::emoji_heart:

PS: Interesting that the Pet Shop Boys have just had a single off their new album called 'Dreamland' - coincidence or what?
And that song appears in an episode of Love, Victor on Hulu!

ptb2020

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Off tomorrow to see new French movie Été 85 about teenage gay love! 16 year old on holiday gets into trouble swimming and is rescued by handsome, charismatic 18 year old.
Cant wait.
Was an official entry at Cannes.
And yes, cinemas have been open for two weeks now in France with one seat on either side of you left empty and theatres sanitised between performances. Masks worn too but if you use a disposable one, not uncomfortable .

Joseph_G

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Has anyone seen the 1989 East German film Coming Out? I've wanted to see it for a long time, but the original US DVD of it was out of print by the time I found out about the film and the German DVDs didn't have English subtitles. It's coming out on a new US disc soon, according to the DEFA Film Library: https://ecommerce.umass.edu/defa/store/3538
It says it's a DVD, but also a new HD transfer, so I'm hoping maybe there will be a Blu-ray version too.

Reactions: rsmithjr

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Has anyone seen the 1989 East German film Coming Out? I've wanted to see it for a long time, but the original US DVD of it was out of print by the time I found out about the film and the German DVDs didn't have English subtitles. It's coming out on a new US disc soon, according to the DEFA Film Library: https://ecommerce.umass.edu/defa/store/3538
It says it's a DVD, but also a new HD transfer, so I'm hoping maybe there will be a Blu-ray version too.
I only have a Japanese gay film of the same name.A great movie.

ptb2020

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
It’s a lovely film and fascinating in showing gay society in East Berlin before the wall came down. Bitter sweet.

Reactions: rsmithjr

ptb2020

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
O.K. Summer 85 (L’été 85) is to my mind simply wonderful. I hope it gets an international market.
As with all Francois Ozon movies sexuality is to the fore and it is far from being a simple love story. 16 year old Alex is saved from disaster when his boat turns over in a storm by 18 year old David, handsome, charismatic, seductive, who within hours is asking Alex to be his friend, to join him on adventures and for exciting times. Alex falls hard and fast and soon the two are inseparable. The summer passes in days of sunshine and the nights in adventures and love. Then after six weeks it happens. The event that changes everything.
wont say more, but it had me engrossed all the way. Its very emotional, beautiful to look at, and the lead Félix Lefevbre is extraordinary. He more or less carries the movie and considering his age and the emotional journey thé character goes on in the film, he is remarkable. He‘s actually 20 but looks younger.
there are some sad moments, some sexy moments, even some funny ones, and the only weak point for me is the English girl who speaks with such a thick British accent it hurt! She’s supposed to be in France as an au pair to improve her French, which is perfect. No self respecting French person would let her carry on speaking like that without trying to pronounce the language with a French accent.
I rarely go to five stars in my ratings but this gets a four and a half.

Attachments

Reactions: Mark-W

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
O.K. Summer 85 (L’été 85) is to my mind simply wonderful. I hope it gets an international market.
As with all Francois Ozon movies sexuality is to the fore and it is far from being a simple love story. 16 year old Alex is saved from disaster when his boat turns over in a storm by 18 year old David, handsome, charismatic, seductive, who within hours is asking Alex to be his friend, to join him on adventures and for exciting times. Alex falls hard and fast and soon the two are inseparable. The summer passes in days of sunshine and the nights in adventures and love. Then after six weeks it happens. The event that changes everything.
wont say more, but it had me engrossed all the way. Its very emotional, beautiful to look at, and the lead Félix Lefevbre is extraordinary. He more or less carries the movie and considering his age and the emotional journey thé character goes on in the film, he is remarkable. He‘s actually 20 but looks younger.
there are some sad moments, some sexy moments, even some funny ones, and the only weak point for me is the English girl who speaks with such a thick British accent it hurt! She’s supposed to be in France as an au pair to improve her French, which is perfect. No self respecting French person would let her carry on speaking like that without trying to pronounce the language with a French accent.
I rarely go to five stars in my ratings but this gets a four and a half.
You had me at Ozon.

Reactions: ptb2020

ptb2020

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Spoiler alert
I’ve just discovered that Summer of 85, it is based on a British novel.
Dance on My Grave: a life and a death in four parts, one hundred and seventeen bits, six running reports and two press clippings, with a few jokes, a puzzle or three, some footnotes and a fiasco now and then to help the story along is a 1982 young adult novel by British author Aidan Chambers. It is the second book in the Dance Sequence series.

Dance on My Grave

It tells the story of a British teenager named Henry Robinson, detailing the events that led to his...........
of his slightly older friend, Barry Gorman, with whom Robinson had a love affair.[1]

It was one of the first few young adult books published by a major publisher that depicts homosexuality[2][3]without being judgmental and was included on ALA's[4]and other libraries'[5] list of books for gay teens. It has also been referred to in a number of books on children and young adult literature.[6][7][8]

Forum Sponsors