Gauge of wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Oct 1, 2002
    Do I need to replace the cables to a HTiB system if I am only running them in a small room? More importantly, will I notice a difference if I do? Secondly, will wiring a 20" WEGA with component cables give me any noticeable difference over Composite/S-video?(In what way, bolder brighter colors? or sharper picture?)

P.S. If anyone could get a speaker dimension comparison of the Onkyo 650 and the Kenwood 505 systems? I can get them for the same price but I will not have a lot of room in a dorm room.
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    For short runs (about less than 10 ft) 16 ga wire is fine. Is this what comes with the HTIB? If not, it's cheap enough to find at Radio Shack/Home Depot.

I think you should see a improvement with SVideo over composite. But only a bit of improvement with Component over SVideo.

Look at contrasting colors that intersect with straight lines. (text is a good example) With composite, you should see a lot of 'dot-crawl' - little ants that flicker. Most of these should be eliminated with SVideo, even more with Component.

Find a scene with bright, contrasting colors. With composite, the colors will start to get dim/fade near the intersection of different colors. SVideo and Component should stay a lot more solid to the edges.

While there is only a bit of improvement with Component over SVideo, a fellow member took some spare component cables and upgraded his bedroom system (19") and saw a visible improvement over SVideo.

Note: Your TV will take Composite video and run it through the Comb filter to produce: SVideo. Another filter converts the SVideo to Component.

But if you feed that same TV with component video from a good source, both these filters are by-passed. This can make a dramatic difference especially on a budget set.

My advice: find a local dealer like Best Buy and buy the AR brand of Component and SVideo cables. Go back to your dorm, and hook both up. Freeze a scene and toggle between the two feeds to do your own A/B testing to see if the difference is worth the $$.

Good Luck.