Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

Garden of Evil Blu-ray Review

gardenoeviltop-150x150.jpg

Nicholas Ray’s Johnny Guitar wasn’t the only noteworthy psychological western of 1954; Henry Hathaway’s Garden of Evil easily matches it...
Continue reading the original article.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Thanks, Matt. Watched my copy weekend before last and was very impressed with the transfer as well as the movie, which I hadn't revisited in many years. It reminded me how much I love Gary Cooper (and Susan Hayward).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great review! I watched this Blu-ray over the weekend. It was a much better film than I remembered it being. I also thought there was a yellowish look to the skin tones in some scenes, particularly when the three Americans are sitting in the cantina near the beginning. The detail in the mountainous scenes we quite striking; almost looked 3D. Bernard Herrman's score was quite vivid as well.

I've always had mixed feelings about Coop as an actor. I generally like his films in his younger days, but have often found him somewhat stilted in his later years. I could remember him saying lines like "He cheated me. I don't know..how..but he..cheated..me". Watching it again, his character of Hooker really clicked for me as a wise student of human nature who could recognize the dark secrets and glimmers of good that everyone carries. I used to think Coop sort of phoned this character in, but I now see Hooker as one of his more interesting performances. Really an interesting movie and a great Blu-ray.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I think this Blu ray is SENSATIONAL. It takes me back to 1954. Great performers in good films with incredible artists behind the cameras. The photography is amazing. The music score is STUNNING. And it's all there for us to enjoy on this exceptional disc. One of my favorites of the Fox titles on this label.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will watch this over the next week. Looking forward to it based on this review.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Great review! I watched this Blu-ray over the weekend. It was a much better film than I remembered it being. I also thought there was a yellowish look to the skin tones in some scenes, particularly when the three Americans are sitting in the cantina near the beginning. The detail in the mountainous scenes we quite striking; almost looked 3D. Bernard Herrman's score was quite vivid as well.

I've always had mixed feelings about Coop as an actor. I generally like his films in his younger days, but have often found him somewhat stilted in his later years. I could remember him saying lines like "He cheated me. I don't know..how..but he..cheated..me". Watching it again, his character of Hooker really clicked for me as a wise student of human nature who could recognize the dark secrets and glimmers of good that everyone carries. I used to think Coop sort of phoned this character in, but I now see Hooker as one of his more interesting performances. Really an interesting movie and a great Blu-ray.

For me the cinematography, the score and Gary Cooper are really what make the movie a winning combination on top of all the other talent that was involved, Looking forward to get this later in the year.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't always agree with haineshisway on colour, but yes, no teal in this at all, it's not even too blue. Neutral greys are grey & yellows are very yellow, it has a "look" to it, but it's a movie, not a documentary. I've only zipped through it so far, I look forward to enjoying it, it's one of the few fifties westerns that I've never seen.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm sure the one thing we can be certain of, is that Mr. Zandstra hasn't seen the transfer and is either basically judging screen caps or just making a blanket statement, as he has in several other threads. :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm sure the one thing we can be certain of, is that Mr. Zandstra hasn't seen the transfer and is either basically judging screen caps or just making a blanket statement, as he has in several other threads. :)

I did wonder why he posted that.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
You know, it's ridiculous (and somewhat embarassing) how many times over the years I've listened to Bernard Herrmann's score for Garden of Evil, and yet, until tonight, had never actually seen the movie!

Not only was I smitten by the crazy thing* - have already watched it twice - but thought this Blu-ray was a grand showcase for it. Some shots actually 'popped' into ersatz 3D for me...wasn't expecting that.

* Even the estimable talents of Hugh Marlowe...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched this one again tonight. A classic Western in every way in my book. Wonderful music, beautiful cinematography, excellent actors, and a story that I think is compelling. Very good picture and outstanding sound quality on this disc. Great special features, including an audio commentary. Probably everyone here already has it, but for fans of Westerns Garden of Evil is highly recommended.

Garden+of+Evil.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks