Gamespot's Best & Worst of 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Best RPG: Neverwinter Nights

*gag choke die*

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo seemed to take home most of the awards there, including Most Disappointing GameCube game.

I'll check out all of the list later.

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

5. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

Metroid Prime def. deserved game of the year, glad it got it.

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I didn't play Arx Fatalis, but from the nominees listed, Neverwinter Nights is far and away the best PC RPG.
    The choices for Game of the Year are disapponting though. To not even nominate Splinter Cell means that the editors should be punished severly by making them play New Legends for 3 months straight.
    -Dave

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Funny to see that so many of the "worst games" are in the "action sports" category. Definitely games borne of the twisted minds of the marketing departments. You can just envision the meetings where they were brought up - "We need something that will sell in Q4. Can you make something Tommy Hawk-ish? (sic) Just put some bikes in it and we'll license some of that extreme music that the kids love so much."

I like the "best game no one played" categories. They're a great way to find games that you may have missed. Buffy (Xbox) definitely fits the bill there.

-Dave

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Derrik-

Touche, but my point was that a first-party GameCube game was awarded the same award as Platformer Game of the Year (GCN) and Most Disappointing (GCN).

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Wow. I knew Ratchet & Clank was a great game, but I'm glad to see that the press is giving it some love.

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

12. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Thank god they finally said something about stuntman and its G.D. load times. Thats great.

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I disagree with RCT2 being nominated for disappointing game of the year. I disagree with the best PS2 driving game, it should have gone to NFS:HP2. That game is a load of fun to play.

14. Jeff_Standley

I'll second the nomination for buffy. This was a great game that no one played. I never played it untill my friend made me, and it is really good. The fighting style in it makes it worth the money. If you have not played this game check it out. Plus its only $30 or less now.

15. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

16. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I still think Buffy should have won the best game from a TV series, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm very glad that they gave Metroid Prime their Console game of the year.

I just finished playing it last week and haven't played a game that good or that complete in a very long time.

[rant]
    As far as PC Sports games are concerned, if anyone cares... the fact that they left off Out of the Park Baseball 4, is just plain silly. The game got an 8.4 according to their ratings and is, in my opinion, the best sports game I have played in a very, very long time. To not even have it as a nominee is just plain wrong.
    [/rant]

Glen

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I thought they botched the awards pretty badly.....I knew they were going to be worthless the second I saw Vice City nominated for "most artistic graphics".

I agree with Sunshine being the most dissapointing GC game, but overall, GTAVC dissapointed me more.

Kinda pathetic to see Dead to Rights get "Best Story" over Deus Ex and Suikoden 3.

Altogether, they missed out on a ton of games that deserved nominations(Enclave for best graphics anyone?), picked some great, non-dissapointing games for "most dissapointing"(Shinobi, Rygar, Steel Battalion, Gunvalkyrie), and made some odd choices for the final picks.

If it's any consolation, they were dead on with Dynasty Tactics being the "best game no-one played".

19. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

MechAssualt as the Xbox Game of the Year??? What kind of crack were they smoking? I haven't played that since the week after I got my LIVE kit. It didn't live up to it's hype at all, or the reviews it got on Gamespot and IGN. Not enough maps, and the existing ones are mostly boring, and not enough game modes. Then there's the crap lobby and the the bug were it drops off the last person that joined the game. I'm hoping the downloadable content can save this.
    But Xbox game of the year??? [​IMG]
    Mike D.

20. Jeff_Standley

Splinter cell should have gotten XBOX game of the year.