What's new

HTF AWARDS 2023: VOTE: Worst Studio/Distributor 2023 (1 Viewer)

Who was the worst studio/distributor of 2023?

• Walt Disney/Fox

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Mill Creek

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Paramount

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Universal

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
bestworst.png

WORST STUDIO/DISTRIBUTOR 2023

Vote: Best 4k Disc 2023
Vote: Worst 4k Disc 2023
Vote: Best Studio 2023
Vote: Worst Studio 2023
Vote: Best Packaging 2023
Vote: Worst Packaging 2023

Your nominations have been tallied. These are the results for Worst Studio/Distributor 2023

Please cast your vote. Voting will end on February 16, 2023, at which point the winners will be announced

Discussion in this thread is encouraged​

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Warner. For a very lackluster centennial celebration and lack of general interest in physical media. Excluding their WAC line (I still want them to release more contemporary films) , the studio just generally seems out of the game while their competition has picked up the pace. I don't understand why movie studios don't care about their libraries. The people in charge must be bored to tears of their jobs. My ultimate wish is for the studios to start selling off their catalogs to companies that truly care about the art and don't just consider their bottom lines.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I voted for Disney for the utter lack of meaningful releases in the year besides the excellent UHDs of Snow White and Cinderella. They recycled a terrible Blu of The Sword in the Stone when a 4K Dolby Vision master exists on Disney+, didn't license a single title (other than Mill Creek DVD reprints), and made several boutiques take existing titles out of print.

When even Paramount and Lionsgate are now licensing to Vinegar Syndrome and Disney won't even let Kino or Shout keep existing discs in print, it's time for a change. They can do it if they just give physical media a chance like literally all of the other major studios.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Both Dorado Films and Raro for stealing peoples money and not delivering the goods. I ordered from them in 2017 and 2020 and didn't receive anything after a bunch of its coming promises . They get my vote no matter what year it is !

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Disney for only releasing cartoons and Marvel movies on disc. For limiting some film discs to movie club exclusives. If they are not going to release physical discs they could at least upgrade the 20th films they stream to UHD. The quality of the prints they use on the FXM movie channel are general awful especially in the mornings and early afternoon when they show films from the 30's to 70's . They also repeat the same films endlessly. They also pan and scan many Cinemascope films on FXM.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I'm going with Warner Brothers. They started a trend of expiring digital codes, greatly lowering the value of any release more than a year or two old. Then, on top of that, they started moving away from including the Blu-ray in the 4K combo pack.

But even Warner Archive take a bit of hit here. While they do great work bringing movies to disc, I would prefer that they also bring those same HD (or better) versions to digital.

As I said in the nomination thread, an extra dishonorable mention to Paramount -- one for not being part of Movies Anywhere, and two for starting that stupid trend of separating the blu-ray out of the 4K combo pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks