What's new

Gamespot's Best & Worst of 2002 (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Call me crazy, but I had more fun playing Buffy than I did any other XBOX game this year. Of course, this may change when I get MechAssault and Splinter Cell ;)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Deus Ex probably got overlooked since it was a pretty late port of a PC title.

-Dave

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Happy to see Freedom Force getting some love. That game was $30 well spent.

The RPG award could have went either way for me, I had a blast playing both Neverwinter and Morrowind. Morrowind would have been a hands down winner if it wasn't for the online play and the toolset in NWN. Being able to port some of our PnP materials was really sweet. I'll have to check out Arx Fatalis, saw it in the store tonight and was intrigued, as I hadn't heard anything about this game.

The best thing about these awards for me is pointing out the games that I remember reading about but never got around to checking out. My rental list has definately increased.

Well, time to go start Metroid Prime. I've been looking forward to sitting down with this one.

How does Steel Battallion warrant being a nominee for most disappointing game of the year? They gave it a 7.3 rating and it has an amazingly innovative control setup that's included. Go figure.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I think Splinter Cell is a good game for what it is, but not up to game of the year material, and nothing near gta: vice or metroid prime quality. IF you played Metal Gear on ps's, the luster out of the gameplay isn't too shiny. I'm on the 6/7 board where you have to avoid these lights and wall mines and escape. After trying all sorts of things, it just became too much for me and I just shelved the game for the time being. Although some say I should stick it out, i do believe the design is questionable at certain points. I think microsoft should of gone ahead and just purchased ghost recon for themselves, it would(and kind of still is) a game of the year choice, but people will see it for ps2 and buy that one, which is pretty stripped down, and the gc version was pushed to next year. So your left with mechassault or JSRF, that is an objective debate...but you wouldn't want them picking a game packed-in with the system either, and mechassualt is the killer-app for live, as Unreal Championship for all intensive purposes seems like it is still in the 70's in percent finished, but SOME great level designs and never-dull gameplay still make it great fun.

as for the rest, they were pretty accurate. anyone here or elsewhere who objected to them before will so now. It was funny they nominated a 8.1(not saying that is a bad/good score) game like Animal Crossing, instead of eternal darkness

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It was funny they nominated a 8.1(not saying that is a bad/good score) game like Animal Crossing, instead of eternal darkness
Because time is a wonderful thing. I think in the longterm, the quality of Animal Crossing has shined through, whereas a lot of other games with possibly higher marks are more "flash in the pan".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How does Steel Battallion warrant being a nominee for most disappointing game of the year?
The review for SB said the gameplay boiled down to an extremely simple method of alternating between shooting and dodging, making the game kind of boring. They also said that the cutscenes between missions seemed to be extremely crappy compared to the rest of the game and could have been done a lot better.

The reviewer did praise the game for being a nerd's dream-come-true, but overall said it was a gimmick with a game attached.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
source: GameSpot
:emoji_thumbsup:
I agree with GameSpot on this one. METROID PRIME totally immersed me in its atmosphere and gameplay. MP is "gaming nirvana" defined! Definitely "Game of the Year" across all platforms. :D
I agree with GameSpot's criticism of Splinter Cell that keep it from "GotY" status. MechAssault is the more fun game of the two and I would also rank it higher that SC.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Virtual Fighter 4 continues it's tradition as the most overated fighting game of all time. Tekken Tag and DOA2 HC on the PS2, not to mention DOA3 on the X-box are vastly superior. Tekken 4 was noth the majot step forward I hoped for, but still compared to VF4 it kicks butt.

IMHO,
Peter

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
IMHO
And in my opinion, you're completely wrong :) VF4 has way more depth & subtlety to it than the likes of DOA & Tekken (and I'm a big DOA fan before I'm accused of bias). The kumite mode is a major step forward for the fighting genre as far as I'm concerned, and VF4 deserves the plaudits its received because of it.

RayKk

Stunt Coordinator
I challenge Gamespot for worst Xbox game of 2002, I say it should be Prisoner of War, it damn near drove me to drugs due to boredom so I settled for smoking cigarettes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
VF4 has way more depth & subtlety to it than the likes of DOA & Tekken
Pac-Man has more depth than DoA.

Tekken isn't as deep as VF4, but its more fun to just jump right in with. You don't need to play for hours and hours before you are good. True, this leads to a lot of button mashing, but if you get into it, you can reap rewards in a relatively short time compared to VF4.

Virtua Fighter is a LOT deeper and more complex than Tekken. Tekken is easier to get into and provides more (I guess this is the best way to say it) mindless action.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Well remember DOA3 wasn't released this year. I have to agree w/Morgan DOA3 is fun for a few minutes in my expirience(i own it - this statement even applies for 2-player), b/c the gameplay is so shallow, character designs are so-so, and modes are way too cliched. i think the genre itself is obviously not at it's peak, as I am not even enjoying mk like i used too, (but that game seems a tad bit rushed though) and tekken 4 from all i heard seems like the same game as before, so VF4 deserves the title even though i never played it, the 1-p modes seem better. But since there are so many consoles out nowadays, there isn't that one fighter everyone has, so the odds that you'll play agaisnt a human button masher are higher than before, which leads too.....

The one bright spot is xbox live support, if capcom's games are playable, then i don't think there should be a live-less fighter on xbox again. i'm sure some kids will still just go on there and mash all day, but there probably will be some well-done tournaments too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dave-

I have DoA2:H for PS2 and I haven't played against a skilled player, but I'm pretty sure becoming a skilled DoA player requires maybe an hour worth of actual effort. Even Tekken takes longer to become truly great at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks