What's new

Games You Haven't Finished...and Why. (1 Viewer)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
The Shenmue thread as well as a recent conversation got me thinking about all the games in my collection that I still haven't finished (or never will). Then I thought about all the games in the past that I never finished.

So, dear friends, it's time to fess up. I shall start.

1. Fatal Frame. I'm a wuss when it comes to this game. I thought I'd be okay getting my girlfriend to hang with me while playing, but she won't even do that since she's freaked by the game as well. One day I'll either grow some cajones or have a friend over and just get to it.

2. Contra: Shattered Soldier. Omigod is this hard. I gave up for now, but I will come back to it.

3. Kingdom Hearts. I'm pretty close, but I was distracted by Ratchet & Clank.

4. Super Mario 64. Loved it at first. Lost my love after getting through more than half of it.

5. Final Fantasy VIII. The story didn't do anything for me and the card game was just confusing.

6. Parasite Eve (PSX). I have no idea why I never finished this. Good game. I think I just started sucking and didn't want to level up.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Almost any game I own I haven't finished. That includes consoles and PC games.

I'm a gamer at heart, and I'm buying games left and right, so once I get a new game, older games get left by the wayside.

I also find that I spend more time playing multiplayer games than I do single player, which also contributes to the high percentage of games I don't finish.

ChrisV

Second Unit
A lot of the games on this list for pretty much the same reasons as Chris. I just buy too many and move on to the new ones before I finish the old ones. There are a lot of exceptions. I finish a lot of the really compelling games that I buy (GTA, GTA:VC, Splinter Cell, Halo, Silent Hill 2 to name a few) but I just end up with too many to finish or 100% them all. From time to time I'll go back and finish a few games that I've had for awhile.
Some games that I mean to get around to finishing next:
1. JSRF — It still bugs me that I haven't finished this one. Such a good game, but I got lost on the sewer level and got some new games at the same time, so I haven't continued that game since.
2. Morrowind — Ah, if only I had the time. One day.
3. Sky Odyssey — I play this one in large helpings because it requires me to swap the cords on the back of my PS2. This is the reason I haven't finished it yet.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Current games that I haven't finished:

1) Hitman 2--Good game, but lousy timing with Xbox Live coming out a few weeks later. Then Splinter Cell pretty much rendered Hitman redundant and thus irrelevant.

2) Tony Hawk 4--Geez, I played the heck out of 2 and 3, but 4 is just too damn hard. Million-point combos? Misty Flip over the shack in the water park? That slalom down the water slide? Too hard for me...

3) Morrowind--Too many go-and-fetch-it quests after a while. Combined with the dreaded DDEs, I finally had to quit the game after 25 or 30 hours of work.

Past games I didn't finish:

1 and 2) Parasite Eve and FFVIII for the same reasons as you, Josh. Basically after FFVII I was on a Square-induced high, but neither of those games really turned me on.

3) Chrono Trigger. Blasphemy, I know, but I played FFVII first, and CT was just too similar I guess. Maybe I'll get back to it one of these days.

4) Tactics Ogre. See above, but substitute "Final Fantasy Tactics" in.

5) Syphon Filter--man, I got close on this one. Real close. Actually, I'm not sure why I didn't finish this. I was on the last level, I guess I just ran out of steam.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
2. Contra: Shattered Soldier. Omigod is this hard. I gave up for now, but I will come back to it.
[/quotep
ditto
6. Parasite Eve (PSX). I have no idea why I never finished this. Good game. I think I just started sucking and didn't want to level up.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I've got way more games I've not finished than finished, for the reasons noted above. I get something new, and the old goes buh-bye. Though I've played Half-Life through about three times.

It's interesting that I have beaten every GameCube game I own that has an ending (Eternal Darkness, Res Evil 0 & 1) with one smidgen of an exception.

Notables:

1. Freedom Force - I WILL finish this one eventually, I'm just waiting for summer to hit when I have more time.

2. Baldur's Gate II - See above.

3. Super Mario Sunshine - The last boss in this game pounds on me. Period. I will return soon. I just have NO time anymore.

4. Commandos 2 - My monitor has its brightness ruined so I can't see anything :p). Either I suffer or wait for my next computer.

There's a ton of games, but mostly RPGs. Grandia is a time-suck I haven't had the courage to boot up at all lately.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, I believe the last game I actually *did* finish was the first "Shenmue"...

I'm terrible about playing the crap out of something, and when something new comes out, I play the crap out of *that* and never get back to the previous game...

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Yeah, my list of games not completed is a pretty big one.
I did get through Parasite Eve though, I have no idea how though. Man that was a while ago.
Most notables...
1. Halo. I just don't get into it as much as other people. Don't get me wrong. I like the game, I just haven't had the drive to finish it.
2. Jak and Daxter. I bought it fully intending on playing it through, and my wife started playing it and completed it... with some of my help. Now I'm trying to forget how I beat some of the bosses for her, so I can enjoy it for myself.
3. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (DC). Just ran into a few other games and it was shelved.
4. Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain(DC). See 3.
5. Final Fantasy Tactics. I have no idea why I didn't finish this. I remember putting a ton of time in on it... just kind of lost interest... I guess.
6. Rayman 2. This one bothers me, as I know I only have an hour or two left in it, but I haven't played it in so long that I know it would bother the heck out of me to figure out what's left. :)
7. Skies of Arcadia. I have about 30 hours in on this one... then I got my PS2... etc.
Man... that's just the last few years... don't get me started on my NES, SNES, and Genesis.
Glen

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
1) Almost any of the Capcom games (res evils, Dino crisis) I can always get right to the end, but don;t have enough ammo to finish the game, and I won't go back and play again.

2)MAX PAYNE (in the A$$) The story is soooooo good, I love the comic book cinema's and the voice acting is cool, but man do the control just suck. They were soo frustrating the took away from the whole game experience.

3) Most of the Command and Conquer games, usually beat one campaign (GDI mostly) but lose interest before I finish the second Campaign.

And a few FPS's (Return to Wolfenstien, C&C Renegade, etc)

Thats about it, I rarely ever walk away from a game unfinished....

KC

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
"1. Fatal Frame. I'm a wuss when it comes to this game. I thought I'd be okay getting my girlfriend to hang with me while playing, but she won't even do that since she's freaked by the game as well. One day I'll either grow some cajones or have a friend over and just get to it."

You seriously didn't finish a game because it scares you???

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Kevin:

As I said, I'm a wuss. I'll finish it. Really. I just never seem to be in the mood to get creeped out by ghosts when I could frolick in happy land in Super Monkey Ball, blow up things in Ratchet and Clank, or kill preteens in SOCOM.

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I never beat Project Gotham Racing.

BOY did that thing really piss me off, i got to about the world tour (or international or something like that) and I could NOT beat the damn thing. Either I would win the race (get 3rd) and try so hard while doing so that I bumped too many walls and didn't get enough kudos, or I would flat out lose.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
The only Game Boy game I've ever finished is, strangely enough, a native to the SNES: A Link to the Past (which I beat ten years ago). I've got all kinds of others, most notably Metroid Fusion, which I haven't gone back to since I got ALTTP.

Eh, hopefully the GB Player will change all that.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Ohh let's see, I haven't finished qutie a few games including:
Day of the Tentacle - Haven't gotten to it
Sam and Max Hit the Road -Same
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis -Same
Heroes of Mihgt and Magic 2 -Hard
Baldur's Gate -Bought it, didn't like it
X-Wing -Hard
X-Wing Alliance -Hard
Alice - Didn't like it
Red Alert - Bought it, liked Warcraft & Starcraft better
Anachronox - About 75% done and Warcraft 3 came out, haven't gotten back to it.
Aliens vs Predator 2 - Finished the Alien campaign, Predator campaign is difficult, Human is so so
Chrono Cross - Just beat Chrono Trigger, bought this, working on it
Final Fantasy 8, 9, & Tactics - 8 and Tactics aren't up to my definition of a Final Fantasy, 9 I'm working on.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Every C&C game with interior missions (except Renegade) they grease me every time. Westwood really needs to review their anti-cheating policy, as they result in me anti-purchasing when I get frustrated
I beat X-Wing Alliance, but the game locked up when I got out of the death star, and I haven't been able to do it again :)

Kami

Screenwriter
One that comes to mind is Neverwinter Nights. GREAT game, just too big. I didn't have the time to finish it, so I forced myself to delete it or else other things in my life would've suffered!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's not fair to say I haven't finished it, since I'm in the middle of playing it, but I'm getting damn close to giving up on Metroid Prime. I love the game, but it makes me sick to play it. Literally. I played this afternoon, and I can't sleep because of the migrane. It's also been making me nauseous. Weird, because I'm a FPS veteran from way back. I've been playing them since at least Catacombs 3D (or was it Catacomb Abyss?--whichever was the id Software game), but this one I can't handle. I was experiencing the same thing on my computer with some game (can't remember), but I was able to clear it up by bumping up the refresh rate. Maybe if I had a way to play Metroid on my monitor, I could play it without the negative effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks