Gamecube question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DanielM, Oct 30, 2003.

1. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I am sort of considering purchasing a used cube I can get it for around $70.....BUT will I enjoy any of the games as I HATE HATE HATE mario, as well as any type of platformer I also dislike fps although not as much as platformers..the only games that look/sound interesting are Sanitys Requiem and Skies of Arcadia.. I also already have ps2 and xbox
    all things considered looking for opinions

2. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

You hate platformers!?!?! What's the world coming to? Get a cube. It is a fun machine. Ive have both a PS2 and GCN, and I spend more time on the cube, but thats just me.

Try these games:

Metroid Prime - its a twist on the First person, I know you dont like them but give it a shot, if only for the stunning graphics.

F-Zero - This is the prettiest game I've seen on the cube. I'd say rent it first as it can be very hard and fustrating. It's not everyone cup of tea.

Pikmin - Fun little stratagy adventure game.

Star Wars:The Clone Wars - OK single player, but great fun in mutli player mode. Its a blast!

XGRA: Extreme G Racing Association - Another fun racing game.

Mario Golf: Ok, you hate hate hate Mario. I'm telling you, this is the most fun multi player game ever. (I'm old, and not all of my old friends like action games). Great for laughs! Just put your Mario Bias to the side for a weekend and try this game. If you still hate it, I'll appologize.

Although I havn't tried the following, I only hear great reviews from the Resident Evil series and Eternal Darkness. These are on my "Get to when I have money list".

Have fun.

3. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

You might give Metroid Prime a try, if you can overcome your aversion to FPS's (although it plays a lot more like a 3D Metroid than a traditional FPS). There's also F-Zero GX if you're into racing. Rogue Squadron II can be picked up rather cheap if it looks interesting to you (I haven't played III yet, and it's gotten mixed reviews, so I can't voice an opinion there). Animal Crossing is another good cheap game, if you're willing to give something completely different a try. Viewtiful Joe is good, although it falls rather close to the "platformer" category so I don't know if you'd like it or not given your dislike of them (I'd consider it more an old-school beat-em-up). If Eternal Darkness looks interesting to you, you might like the Resident Evil GC ports, if you haven't played them before. I'm assuming your hatred of Mario also rules out non-platforming games with Mario in them, like Super Smash Brothers: Melee, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, etc.

4. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

yes I have a hatred of all things mario. also not into multiplayer very much as to say if a games only worth is multiplayer.its not for me.....
    ...has resident evil improved from the ps1 days meaning can you actually control your character??

5. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

resident evil zero on the GC is absolutely awesome and about a trillion times better than the original. at least in my opinion.

and i can't believe no one's recommended legend of zelda - the windwaker. it has to be one of the best games out there, on any platform. utterly engrossing.

again, it's entirely dependent on your taste in games, but those are two games that are alone worth the purchase of acube.

6. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I love my Cube, although I have more games and play more on the PS2. Definately give Metroid Prime a whirl though. I too hate FPS games with a passion, but truth be told, Metroid Prime knocked A Link To The Past from my number one game of all time spot. Get past the first level though as the game definately gets engrossing the further you get after that.

Eternal Darkness was a great game! Highly recommended.

7. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

I bought my cube soley for the purpose of playing Metroid and it was worth every penny. Best game Ive ever played. Unfortunately the outlook for the near future looks somewhat bleak unless your into Mario Kart. Nothing else seems to be that interesting.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

MONKEY BALL! MONKEY BALL! Don't judge it without playing. Honestly. I only play RPGs, fighting and strategy games (with a couple of action titles like Devil May Cry) thrown in. But Super Monkey Ball (Either one) is some addictive stuff. Remember too, isn't the new Namco Tales RPG is coming out for GC early next year?

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I hate to sound like everyone else, but I hate FPS and I loved Metroid Prime...it was the reason I bought a Game Cube. But right now my wife and I are addicted to Animal Crossing.

10. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Don't sleep on Viewtiful Joe. Just played it for the first time tonight and WOW is it a great game. I didn't know Capcom had it in them. Definately a must buy!

11. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

Smash Brothers dude, Smash Brothers...

12. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Since you hate platformers and FPS you might not like metroid prime either as there is plenty of jumping and plenty of shooting, I would at least give it a try, Prime is hands down the best cube game out there right now, and IMO its the best by a few miles.

other enjoyable cube games I have played:
    Eternal Darknes: Sanity's Requiem
    Rouge Squadron II
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Luigis Mansion
    Soul Caliber II(multi)

Games I would recommened:
    Viewtiful Joe
    Prince of Persia(multi)
    Mario Kart Double Dash(NYR)
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes(NYR)

13. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Viewtiful Joe is one of the greatest games ever, revolutionary even...