Gamecube Memory card Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Should be a simple question, but does anyone know if there is a maximum number of save files that can be stored on a gamecube memory card? Reason I ask is that I have a 251 that's only about half full, but there are quite a few small files on it (the screen on the memory card manager is close to full-I think that it's 24 boxes?). Just wondering if there's any reason to pick up another card.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

AFAIK, the only thing that limits how much can be saved is the number of pages (251 on your card).

3. John_CM

John_CM Auditioning

Its difficult to give a definitive answer since different games will use different amounts of blcoks to save information. But if you 've only used up about half of your card then, you've still got what, 125 blocks remaining? No need to run out and buy one just yet.

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

So theoretically, if the save files were one block each, one could have 251 saves, one block each, on one card. . .

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Pretty much.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

All depends on the game too. A game could require a certain amount of blocks on a card, and then within the game, give you so many save spots. It'll never require more space on the card, and just work within the amount of blocks that it's allocated.

7. Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward Stunt Coordinator

According to the GC's instruction manual (which I seem to have lost somewhere) you can only save something like 120 files to a card.

It could be a factor if you bought that third party card with 1000 something blocks, but it won't with the 251 unless a large number of games have files that are one and two blocks in size.