What's new

Future of "24"?????? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Since it looks like we are going to be at war in about 6 1/2 hours (written at approx 1:30pm EST). I'm wondering what the future of "24" will be. I find it hard to believe that Fox will be eager to show it, especially with the direction the plot is heading in. (even though Fox is less liberal than the other major networks). I wonder if the remaining run of the show will be put into some kind of indefinate hiatus. Even if Fox has no intention of pulling it, I would imagine that sponsors will be reluctant to support it while a war is going on. Another possible scenario is that the rest of the season, I fear, may get "dumbed down" end edited/rewritten to avoid mentions of war with the "3 Countries" Kind of like how they edited most of references to the plane explosion from Season one after 9/11. I'm sure there has to be alternate scripts that are being written in case they have to go in a different direction. What do people think?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it very much. "24" is about the good guys (aka us) defeating the bad guys (terrorists). The ratings will probably go UP

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Another possible scenario is that the rest of the season, I fear, may get "dumbed down" end edited/rewritten to avoid mentions of war with the "3 Countries" Kind of like how they edited most of references to the plane explosion from Season one after 9/11.
Actually, I was under the impression that most of the main characters - Palmer and Bauer - were viewing the evidence pointing at three [middle-eastern] countries with suspicion. And that may be why Fox gets antsy over it; if the story is going in the direction of factions within the US Government angling toward war for their own ends... Well, that might not be a very popular idea right now.

I think Fox might bump the show an extra week, but the thing about Fox is that even if you figure they're less liberal than other networks, they're pretty bottom-line oriented, and they've got too much invested in 24 right now to put it on the shelf.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even think about this connection. War has been on people's minds for the better part of 2 years now, personally I don't think this new war is going to have more of an effect on American entertainment than what the Afghanistan war and the ongoing war against terrorism have had.

/Mike

LennyP

Supporting Actor
No one is gona change anything or back away because there is not gona be a war with the "3 countries" as the phone conversation was faked as the rogue commander played by Gregg Henry will attest.
That's where the show's heading.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Lenny, I think that's what Jason is referring to. It's not idea of the war, per se, but rather the way it is brought about by powerful rogue elements within our own government - not a very comforting portrayal of the inner workings of our government as we contemplate our current situation.

I hope Fox doesn't hold back, but I fear they might.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Fox knew about this war when they started filming the show. This war's been coming since fall of last year. I doubt they'll stop airing anything because of it. Maybe they'll taylor some upcoming episodes to fit in with current events.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not necessairly. I would imagine the producers like to shoot as late as possible to avoid info from leaking and give them time to do rewrites if necessary, so it is quite possible that there is more filming that has to be done

SPOILER ALERT

I think I read something where Sarah Clarke (Nina) did not know she was going to be the mole until, at least, mid season (possibly longer) Which would obviously mean, buy that point they still had filming to do.

Even if they have most or all of the season in the can, they can always do reshoots as well

I could be wrong about all this, though

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's 11 episodes left, and usually an episode is in the can within 3-5 weeks before it is broadcast, add in the the last 2 weeks of no episodes, so I'd guess that they still haven't wrapped up the last 4 episodes yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks