What's new

Futurama (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I must say this series has me interested but I have yet to see a single episode.

Since I see all the sets around town for a decent price I might go ahead and get it. However for those that have the series is the video, audio and extras of good quality? Also are the discs single sided or double sided? Is it worth a blind buy?

Thanks.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is a great series. You will love it.

The Discs are single sided. Each disc is in it's own plastic case and the cases are all inside a nice box.

The special features are:

1. There are commentaries on all the episodes. They are all pretty funny. You can tell the guys doing the commentaries are having fun.

2. There are deleted scenes for most episodes.

3. Various animatics, storyboards etc for some of the episodes as well.

You at least get the first season and see how you like it. If you like animated shows that are geared to adults, you should find you love it.

One last note is that I think the animation quality is very good for this series. They have some great 3d modeled scenes that are really nice.

rickyJ

Auditioning
Real Name
ricky javis
Haven't Futurama ratings droped to an all time low now, I didnt realise anyone watched it any more. You cant beat the simpsons, and futurama certainly doesnt, its just not the same!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Umm, it was on for 4 seasons. The last one aired probably 5 years ago. This show has caught on again though much like Family Guy did due to reruns on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim.

Also, imo, this show is way better than The Simpsons, the newer episodes especially.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It has also just been brought back to life. Comedy Central just ordered new episodes. They will be coming out next year.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10248

There is also a DVD movie being done.

And never compare Futurama to Simpsons. They are apples and oranges. Simpsons is written for 8 year olds, Futurama is written for adults.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

That's a very unfair (and just plain untrue) statement. The Simpsons has employed many incredibly intelligent and creative writers over the years and has a lot of sophisticated verbal and visual humour directed towards older viewers that will go over the heads of many children. I admit that it does have some simplistic and juvenile humour, but it is nicely balanced with the more clever humour.

The presence of both kinds of humour on the show is one of the main characteristics of the show that has made it appeal to such a wide audience. I think a more fair statement would be that Futurama was much more consistent than The Simpsons. I definitely agree that all of the existing seasons of Futurama were more consistently smart, funny, original, and imaginative than the last 8-10 seasons of The Simpsons. I just hope Futurama doesn't sharply decline in quality like Family Guy has when it's resurrected like Family Guy was.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sorry if my opinion hurt so many feelings. I have, and do watch the Simpsons. That is how I formed my opinion. Lets keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss the Simpsons, make a topic in the appropriate forum and we can discuss it.

The question was is Futurama worth buying on DVD?

I say Yes, definitely.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
When is the first direct to DVD Futurama feature suppose to go on sale? It was announced awhile ago now.

Paul

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They didn't really announce it, they just said that they were making it so it's going to be until at least next year until you see something. And I'd imagine that it'll just be the new episodes that they're making for Comedy Central put together into one 'movie'.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

I find it difficult to compare Simpsons and Futurama, just because Simpsons has changed so much. I agree that yes, in it's best years, Simpsons was greater then anything, even Futurama. Every episode was a hit. It was both mature and edgy.

In recent years, Simpsons has lost all of that edge and wit it once had. It is embarassing to see how far it has fallen. It seems weird how in the season 6-7-8 era, Simpsons handled goofy out of this world humour so well, and yet now, perhaps from overuse it has just become like a bad Leslie Neilson movie. Many still say that it remains funnier then most of what is on TV. I am not sure that is true anymore, but I admit I do not watch a great majority of new comedy on American TV, of which we get so much of here in Canada!

Futurama still has places to go. I think Simpsons has run out of places to go with it's premise and setting without reaching too far beyond the realm of it's comedic potential. The stuff on the DVDs is far superior to today's Simpsons.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Futurama is a great series, and the DVDs are among the finest for an animated show you will ever see, particularly with the pristine image quality.

The show is highly recommended.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Yes, definitely buy Futurama. I was idiot enough to do so when they were charging an arm and a leg for the sets at Best Buy, and really haven't regretted buying them. Each set is hilarious, and the extras, commentaries and whatnot are really entertaining. If you liked the show when it was on the air, then you'll most definitely enjoy it on DVD.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I would honestly check the local video stores and see if you can rent the 1st disc of Season 1 for a couple bucks or less. I know people who got into the Simpsons right away, but couldn't warm up to Futurama at all. I love both shows.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
God I love Futurama. I am a huge Simpsons fan and still watch every week. That said, Futurama kills pretty much anything the Simpsons have done in the last 4-5 years.

To quote Homer....."That show had limitless potential!"

Seriously, check out volume 1, many of the classics are on there.

Esten

Supporting Actor
This also airs at 2am on Comedy Central, so if you're up or have a DVR, check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks