What's new

Funny Klipsch doesn't sell this by itself (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
"ProMedia™ DD 5.1 Multimedia Digital Decoder Preamplifier:
All Digital Format Decoding: DTS; Dolby Digital 5.1; Dolby Pro-Logic Digital Decoding
5-Band Digital Equalization
Bass management and dynamic compression options
Optical/Coaxial Digital S/P-DIF inputs/ 3 Analog Stereo inputs
Convenient Wireless Remote Control"

Too bad it only comes with their computer speakers, $499
for the 5.1 package.
Might make a nice inexpensive processor. They could probably sell it for $200 or less.
-Rich

Nick V

Second Unit
Check Link Removed !!
I still don't think that the sound quality would be anywhere near your typical A/V receiver. Keep in mind that I'm only speculating and that I have not heard this unit at all.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Yes, you can just buy the little pre amp. It is high quality. Uses many of the same parts as the Aragon. (that how you spell it?)

Nick V

Second Unit
Again, I'm only speculating, but I don't think that there's any way that it uses mostly Aragon parts and that the sound quality is up to par with most A/V receivers. It just wouldn't make sense for Klipsch to be selling this unit for $170 if this is the case.

Is there anyone out there that actually uses one of these as part of their HT or even with their computer that can give some details on the quailty of sound that it produces??

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
One of the tenets of our little hobby is that if you make things simpler, you should have higher SQ.

You would really need to open one up and see what processing, DAC stage it has but the sheer simplicity and the isolation of the PSU would imply at least very acceptable SQ.

One drawback would be relatively rudimentary BM.

T.

RichardMA

Second Unit
At $169 it would be very interesting to see it compared
with some higher cost receivers and separates.
Most of the DTS/DD "work" is done on one chip so the
sound should be acceptable.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
So, who's gonna buy this piece and hook it up to a 5-ch amp (e.g. Sherwood 9080, $400 ebay) ??
One potentially sad note: I read the owner's manual, and the x-over is set at 120Hz. :thumbsdown:

RichardMA

Second Unit
The satellite speakers they sell that processor with
probably need a sub's help below 120hz anyway.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
See this thread regarding the Klipsch ProMedia DD5.1. Still considering matching it with 5 ASL Wave tube amps (8 watts/channel) for a tube-based HT system in my tiny den.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks