What's new

Fun with Dick and Jane - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully, the funny bits are not just what's featured in the trailer. But comedy is subjective, so if you like Jim Carrey comedies, or Judd Apatow screenplays (this was co-written with 2 other writers), you'll get some laughs from it.

There are some good laughs, mainly in the 2nd act of the film, just stuff that struck me funny (and many people in the audience). Jim Carrey does get to cut loose here and there, and the brisk pace of the film works to its advantage. The conclusion (don't forget to read the dedication credit which formed the inspiration for the film) did not overstay its welcome and everything ended up as well as it could given the state of Dick and Jane's affairs.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times basically said the film is an ongoing set-up for a conclusion that never materializes. Funny in places, he said, but a near-miss.

And certainly not on par with the 1977 original. Which brings us to the question: Was it really necessary to remake an already-worthy film of such recent vintage?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I saw this last night. Wanted to see Narnia but it was sold out so saw Dick and Jane. A mediocre movie, what I would call a good discount theater movie, worth $1.50 not $6-$8. Some laughs off of Jim Carrey, but overall just lacking in general.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I like Carrey, I like Apatow, I hated Dick & Jane. Bad, bad movie. Clever final 10 minutes, but the prior 80 were pure torture. Saw it with my Old Man - he and I rarely agree on movies, but we were totally together on this one.

I'd give it a "D"...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Another thing that should be pointed out:

The 1977 original was a satire on consumerism and maintaining the appearance of materialism. This remake, however (as noted in all reviews), is just a comedy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's a send-up of

what happens when companies like En-ron, WorldCom, etc., pull the rug out from under their employees, leaving them to hold the bag (of empty promises) while the execs milk their companies for millions. It's a farce on how desperate people will go to maintain their standard of living in spite of losing it all in a day. At least there's a bit of comeuppance for the exec/villain of the story in the end.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Meant to post this early last week but was so busy I forgot. Saw this during the Jan. 6 Weekend. I liked it. Not my favorite Jim Carrey film but still pretty funny at times and a fun time at the movies.

One surprise Tea Leoni. Not only is she very pretty, but she is really rather good at physical comedy. The audience-myself included- laughed the loudest when she got the Botox injection thing and had the reaction.

She was great in The Family Man too. Leoni has this rare mixture of being believable as a mom figure and yet hot as fire too. Are you getting the idea I liked her in this? :D

A little uneven at times for sure...but pretty good.

I give it a

7.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks