What's new

Full Metal Jacket... 2 versions... significant difference? (1 Viewer)

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
I have the mono version of FMJ and someone gave me the new remastered DD5.1 version. Is the new version significantly better?
Thanks

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I think it is a vast improvment,but the best way to find out is to sit down and watch it yourself.
------------------
jackhtf.JPG

My Collection

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
More important than the audio remixing was the improvement in the video. The new version looks fantastic. It's a great movie, as all Kubrick films are. Thank the person that was kind enough to give the remastered version. :)
------------------
aotc.jpg

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Larry, the OAR on Full Metal Jacket and other Kubrick movies is 1.33:1.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Jeff, please don't propagate this misconception....
All of the flat Kubrick films were intended to be and were projected at anywhere from 1.75:1 to 2:1 in just about every theatre in the U.S.
In Britain, the common A.R.s in theatres for flat were 1.66:1 or 1.75:1.
Kubrick has stated that he prefers 1.33:1 for the video presentation of his flat films, but the O.A.R. of these titles are definitely NOT 1.33:1, since the originals were intended to be shown in theatres, not on home video which didn't even exist at the time most of these films were made.
Ted
[Edited last by TedD on November 18, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I'm just stating what I've read here many times. First I've heard of this. It's obvious it was reframed for the theaters but I always thought the OAR was 1.33:1.

Jeff

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Supposedly Stanley Kubrick wanted FMJ released for home video at 1.33, but they were shown in theaters at 1.85 and look "right" at that ratio.

The issue can't be resolved now, so the obvious solution is to give the consumer a choice. I wish they would.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I have the entire New Kubrick Collection and I must say that EVERY remastered title looks great! Full Metal Jacket and The Shining are amongst the best in the set... the audio is perfect and the picture is almost flawless.
I want to add these two movies to my collection. How do I know which version is the new remastered one? Are they available independently of the set?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Are they available independently of the set?
They are all available separately or as part of the collection. The collection is the only place where you can currently get the "A Life in Pictures" documentary.

2001: A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket are also available individually in collector's box sets with deluxe packaging, booklets, lobby cards, soundtrack CDs, and that sort of stuff in addition to the DVD. The DVD contents of these sets are the same as the most recently remastered DVDs.

Regards,

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Kubrick has stated that he prefers 1.33:1 for the video presentation of his flat films, but the O.A.R. of these titles are definitely NOT 1.33:1, since the originals were intended to be shown in theatres, not on home video which didn't even exist at the time most of these films were made.
Kubrick always prefers to use the entire exposed film negative, and disliked matting. He formatted his films for both 1:33 and 1:85 ARs only because he knew theaters would still matte his films against his wishes.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've got Full Metal Jacket Collector's Edition ordered right now. Hopefully, it'll come in before I leave for home during Thanksgiving Break. Man, I'm still not used to posting like this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks