What's new

FS: Viewsonic PJL830 (Davis DL450 Clone) DLP Projector (1 Viewer)

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
***Updated Price***

$1400 + shipping.

***Added 7/3***

C'mon guys, I really would like to get rid of this. This is an excellent projector at a good price, especially for a DLP with a bulb rated at 6000 hours. I wish I could come down in price, but I need this to help put a new roof on our home.

I'm needing to sell this beast, as I just bought a home and don't have provisions yet for a new home theater. In case some of you are unfamiliar with this unit, it's one of the few single chip DLPs out there that exhibits virtually no rainbow effects. The projector has been professionally modified by Thumper to improve the following:

Black out the clear section of the color wheel

Reduce the halo with masks around the DMD

Black out the DMD chamber to reduce internal reflections

Fine tune the internal optics

Thorough cleaning and dust removal in the light path

This greatly improves the already good PQ of the projector. Black levels are much better, due to the clear section black out, the halo effect that are prominent with DLPs is dramatically reduced. For some screenshots, click on my signature link and go to the "Now Open" section. The images shown are projected onto a DIY 80"x46" screen from 14' away. I used a cheap digital camera, so the colors are slightly off from what the actual image looks like.

The projector has approximately 10 hours on a new Philips 6000 hour bulb. Item comes with all cables, carrying bag, software, and will be shipped in original box.

Asking $1500 + shipping. I accept Paypal, money order, or cashier's check. If you pay by Paypal, I guarantee that the item will be shipped same day. Item will be shipped USPS Priority, unless different carrier or method is requested.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
What a deal!!!! I'm not in the market for a projector yet. But if I were or this were 5 months later, I'd jump all over this.

Someone has to take this off your hands.

Gail M

Agent
Greg,

Will this projector display native HDTV images? If not, will it display progressive scan, component video output from a DVD player?

Thanks!

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
It is a native 800x600 projector. According to Projector Central, it will not display native 1080i. It will display progressive scan component-out from a DVD player, but you would have to get a transcoder that converts the component connections to VGA. The projector has as it's inputs the following: composite, S-Video, and VGA (15-pin D-Sub). I used the unit with a HTPC and the picture was wonderful.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
oh man, I am all over a DLP projector when I move out of my dorm room ... drool
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a couple of photos from my website to entice some of you. The images aren't at near the quality of the actual image being projected. I was using a cheap, low-res digital camera. But here they are.
IM000318.JPG

IM000322.JPG

IM000324.JPG

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
Daily ^BUMP^

I'm really wanting to get rid of this. It's taking up space in my storage room and I could use the money to do some work on our new home.

Help a brother out, please!

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

I might be interested in this unit but I need something clarified. I actually have a transcoder from a prior purchase so even if I don't go with a HTPC I should be ok there.

My concern is that I hope to be adding HDTV to my theater in 12 months or so. I've just started looking into that so I'm a newbie but when you say it will not display native 1080i what does that mean? Will a decoder box output something other than 1080i so I could still see a marked improvement over regular tv, just not pure HDTV? Or will I just not get any picture at all?

Thanks!

Anthony

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a newbie as well when it comes to 1080i. Our area will probably be the last in the US to officially get HD, so I haven't been learning a whole lot.

As far as I know, it would be like having 1080i and hooking it up to a standard-def TV. A decoder box will be the key component, as it will down-convert the 1080i signal into something that the display will reproduce. The projector will do 480p and, from what I've been hearing, it will also do 720p. So, you will be able to watch an HD signal with the projector, but you won't see the true 1080i. It will probably be closer to a great quality DVD with no edge enhancement...something closer to Superbit.

Hope this helps you. If anyone else can add some insight, or if I'm incorrect in anything stated, please let us know.

Thanks

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I went away for a long beach weekend and had NO internet access(yes, it was painful!)

I'm going to try and find out about the HDTV issue and then decide if I want it.

Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks