What's new

FS: Pioneer DVL-909 Combination LD/DVD Player (Champagne version) (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm getting out of the LD game (for now!) and I have for sale the following:

Pioneer DVL-909 Combination DVD & LD Player

This great player was purchased brand new overseas by myself in January of 2000. It retailed for around $1275.00 and I paid just under $900.00 for it at the time. It is both NTSC and PAL compatible (there is a switch on the back). It is also (as you can see from the picture above) the champagne colored model (not the boring black one that is much more common) and really looks beautiful and is also very well built.

Includes the original remote (hardly used) and the original owners manual. Unfortunately, I do not have the original retail box, but I can assure you that I will package the DVL-909 extremely well to include double boxing it for shipment.

It's in excellent condition (no scrathes or marks anywhere) and plays DVD's and LD's perfectly with no problems.

Also a thing to note about the DVL-909 is that it is very hackable. I won't go into that too much here (just do a google search) and you'll find what I'm talking about easily. I will however mention that it is "Region Free" (so to speak) just by doing something simple in the players on-screen menu :)

FYI: I have not performed any of the available mods or hacks...this player has never been "opened" for any kind of mods whatsoever.

I primarily used this as a LD player to play back those great sounding DTS LD's and to also watch the original Star Wars Trilogy. I would say that this player has under 200 hours of use in the approximately 3-4 years I have owned it. It has the reputation of being one of the best LD players out there on the market. I'm selling it simply because I need the cash, as I am going through a divorce right now. I don't really want to sell this, but it's something I can do without right now, so for now anyway, it's available to you here on the HTF.

! $550.00 Shipped !

Note: I only plan on listing this here at the HTF for the next 24-48 hours. After that, it's off to ebay where I know I'll get some cash in about 7-10 days.....so, if you are interested, please let me know and I can delay listing it on ebay accordingly.

Payment: via PayPal or Money Order only! Ship to USA only!

I'm a GOLD TRADER here on the HTF (Michael D. Bunting) and my ebay feedback is 100% Positive (+23) under: mdbunting

Please contact me with any questions you might have: [email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Technical Features:
PAL/NTSC Dual System (DVD/Video CD)
LD Both-Side Play
Video CD Version 2.0 Playback

Video Features:
10-bit Video D/A Conversion (DVD/Video CD)
8-bit Digital Field Memory (LD)
Digital Noise Reduction (LD)
DVP (Digital Video Processing) System (LD)
GUI (Graphical User Interface)

Audio Features:
96kHz/20-bit D/A Converter
Virtual Dolby Surround
Legato Link Conversion

Conveniences:
Transfer Bit Rate Indicator (OSD)
Frame and Field Step Play (DVD/LD)

Special Play Functions:
Condition Memory (up to 30 discs) (DVD)
Continue Play Memory
Cinema Mode (Personal Mode) (DVD/Video CD/LD)
Animation Mode (Personal Mode) (DVD/Video CD)

Terminals:
2 S-Video Output, 2 Video Output, 2 Audio Output (Analog), Optical Digital Output (for Dolby Digital/L PCM), Coaxial Digital Output (for Dolby Digital/L PCM), Coaxial Digital Output (for L PCM) AC-3 RF Output (for LD)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Mike: When set to PAL, does this player convert a PAL signal to NTSC? I'm hoping it outputs a PAL signal.

Do you have an opinion as to where this stands against other Pioneer players, particularly the LD-S9 (which I own, but it won't play PAL discs).

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Alan, let me do some research today on the PAL option. To be honest, I never used this option at all. I will post my findings back here for you to take a look at. I have the manual packed away somewhere (I'm in the middle of moving) but I should be able to find it easily.

And on how it compares with other Pioneer players - well, I'll do some more research and see what I can find out on that subject as well. I used to own a Pioneer CLD-505 (I think that was the model #) and the DVL-909 was vastly superior in every way to that one.

Happy Thanksgiving!~

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Alan, after some quick research here this morning I found out what a great player your Pioneer LD-S9 is ! I doubt that my DVL-909 can equal it in the LD playback performance really.

I did find the following, on a web site that reviewed the DVL-909:

As an LD player, this machine reminds me very much of Pioneer's awesome CLD-D704 laserdisc player. As the owner of a 704, I very much love what it can do. The 909 has many of the same features, including both-side play for laserdisc, digital video effects for watching frame by frame on a CLV laserdisc, and all the usual controls and refinements that we're used to with the laserdisc format.

As a laserdisc player, the 909 is actually pretty close to our reference CLD-99, which is generally regarded as one of the best LD players out there. The digital comb filter in the 909 is great, presenting very little chroma AM or PM noise; on the A Video Standard laserdisc this was readily apparent. As for stereo music sound quality, the 909 didn't sound quite as lush and warm as the CLD-99's internal digital-to-analog converters, but it could easily be used as a midrange CD player, bettering many $500 standalone CD players on the market. In particular, on U2's "If God Will Send His Angels," from their critically maligned Pop album, the internal D/A converters just shined, highlighting this track's deep bass and subtle imaging.

Now, about the PAL option. It looks like it OUTPUTS a PAL signal (when the switch is toggled on the back). There is also an option in the LD player Menu to switch it to/from PAL and NTSC. I'm still trying to confirm this and will now go try to find the owners manual :)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, I found the manual...and I'm afraid I was wrong all the way around :)

For LD playback, The DVL-909 does not play PAL whatsoever. It will only playback PAL on DVD's and Video CD's.

This was something I didn't know until now...To those interested, how important this is probably depends on whether or not you have any PAL LD's in your collection.

David King

Stunt Coordinator
"Pioneer DVL-909 Hong Kong/Japanese model (Champagne colour), 240/220 volts, NTSC only for laserdisc, PAL/NTSC for DVD playback." per laserdisc arcive. So no Pal for laserdiscs.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/DVL-909.htm

I have a question in case it makes it to ebay. Does it have an aluminum front panel and does it match the rp-91 perfectly? Or are the colors a little different. The traditional "brushed plastic" look from pioneer would still be ok for me if it looks perfect with the panny. I would have taken this in a heartbeat had I not just bought a LD player.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
David: (BTW: My best friend in Illinois also is named: David King :) )

You asked if the 909 matched the RP-91 in color, well...I have both...and here you go:

It may not be exact, but it's pretty darn close. The DVL 909 has just a hint more in color (champagne or gold) and the RP91 is a little "dull" or not "as shiny" compared to the 909.

It also is aluminum front panel. The disc tray may not be aluminum (can't remember) but then again, it might just be. I have this boxed up right now in preperation for my move this weekend.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, gol darn - I already have PAL dvd playback; PAL LD playback, if it had it, was the main attraction. Too bad.

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Does this player play dts DVD's?

I don't see the logo on the front so it probably doesn't.

Thanks,

Joey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks