What's new

Front effects speakers.. what info do they get?? (1 Viewer)

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yamaha rxv2090 and in the setup/configuration section, it shows a 7 speaker setup with the mains, center, rears, and fronts. It does not really explain this very well, and I want to know what information will the 2 front effects speakers actually get?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've been using the Yams with the optional "front effect" channel for several years. The info sent to them is part of the mains feed, I think.....
With proper placement, the front effect channel IMHO, adds depth and spaciousness to some of the dsp choices. I like the addition........

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
When watching DVDs in dolby digital, you can not use the various DSP settings, which in effect means the front effect speakers will get nothing. Is this the case with yamaha receivers that have the DD decoder built in? or is this just the case with mine, since it I have to use an outboard decoder??

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yamaha’s Digital Soundfield Processing is designed to mimic real acoustic spaces, and in some cases actual venues. In the movie modes, the DSP processing is intended to mimic the acoustics of movie theaters.

The front effects speakers enhance the DSP effect by providing delayed reverberation, reflections, EQ colorations, etc. Separating the front effects from the main speakers makes them more realistic than other receivers that mix the two, and leaves the mains unprocessed – never a bad thing.

No – the Yamaha receivers with built-in DD overlay the DSP processing on top of the decoding.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks