What's new

Fringe Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fringe blew my mind again tonight. Very few shows do that on a consistent basis.
Wow. Wow. WOW!
Does this mean Peter and September are brothers now? :eek:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /t/323707/fringe-season-5/60#post_3997048
Does this mean Peter and September are brothers now?

Perhaps they are the same person.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It feels a little too intellectual for me; while this show has certainly never shied away from high-concept science fiction mind-fucks, it's always rooted in an emotional place. And I don't know how Peter would ever be able to infiltrate the Observer's advance team.
Somehow, I've got to believe that the show ends with Peter and Olivia together and content at last.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Agree Adam. But there should be a cost to bring Peter and Olivia back together - and ridding the world of Observers, and maybe bringing back Etta, - has to be paid to keep the emotions honest.
I'm of a firm mind that Walter will be the one to pay that price.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I definitely agree with you, Lou, that there will be a price, and a hefty one. That's also part of the bedrock of "Fringe" -- venturing onto the fringe where man is not meant go has always had a terrible cost.
I'm not sure if they'll bring back Etta or end up with Peter and Olivia having a new child. But I have to believe that the family will endure in some form at the end game. If the show ends with the world saved by the lives of our heroes in tatters, what was the point of the journey?
Walter is totally the most likely suspect for any major sacrifice. Given the journey we've been on, though, I would imagine that that sacrifice will be cathartic. Walter is a man who's lived with a lot of pain, self-loathing and regret for a great many years. Whether he dies or pays the price in someone other way, I have to believe that the journey will end with his labors over and his pain behind him.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Adam Lenhardt said:
Walter is totally the most likely suspect for any major sacrifice. Given the journey we've been on, though, I would imagine that that sacrifice will be cathartic. Walter is a man who's lived with a lot of pain, self-loathing and regret for a great many years. Whether he dies or pays the price in someone other way, I have to believe that the journey will end with his labors over and his pain behind him.
Absolutely. Walter sacrificing himself and giving Peter and Olivia in the 2036 time period back a young Etta from the park would be very cathartic.
My full review of the episode is here - http://tinyurl.com/anqr3kw

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think a Walter sacrifice is altogether obvious and simple. Some climax where Walter executes "the plan" or is forced to "stay behind" because of some mechanical glitch (to name a few obvious scenarios) while dramatic orchestral music plays over top is so played-out and cliche that it would be downright insulting.

I've been a fan of the show since episode one, and have defended it as one of the few examples of excellent sci-fi. A cliche ending would be a serious strike against the show--however, I don't expect such an ending.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Can't get much worse than the conclusion to "Battlestar: Galatica".
I kind of feel that they haven't used Astrid to her full potential in this season which I think is a missed opportunity.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm surprised everyone is wondering about what will happen in the end and if/how Peter and Olivia reunite...but, NOT talking about the elephant in the room:
The episode was titled "Origin Story" - clearly a reference to what Peter has 'become'. Of course, we don't know WHAT the implications are or what he now is...but, this episode was the beginning of what Peter will become. I'm not so sure the end result of this origin ends with him back with Olivia.
What I DO think is that the Observer knew. "You don't know what you don't know" he said to Peter...twice. I think the Observer absolutely knows what Peter will become.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Quentin said:
I'm not so sure the end result of this origin ends with him back with Olivia.
My money is on that very thing happening. Any other outcome does not register as a love letter to the fans as the showrunner called this final season.
My Podcast review for An Origin Story: http://tinyurl.com/cjlwoxy

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love that it looks like we're going to find out what the deal was with the bald empath child from Season 1's "Inner Child". Since that was a New York-shot episode, I pretty much figured that mystery would be left dangling once production shifted to Vancouver. I guess they just had to wait long enough so that the recasting wouldn't be obvious.
Quentin said:
I'm surprised everyone is wondering about what will happen in the end and if/how Peter and Olivia reunite...but, NOT talking about the elephant in the room:
The episode was titled "Origin Story" - clearly a reference to what Peter has 'become'. Of course, we don't know WHAT the implications are or what he now is...but, this episode was the beginning of what Peter will become. I'm not so sure the end result of this origin ends with him back with Olivia.
What I DO think is that the Observer knew. "You don't know what you don't know" he said to Peter...twice. I think the Observer absolutely knows what Peter will become.
He's definitely on his way now. It'll be interesting to see if it's reversible or not.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Re: reversible - The boy could end up being the next destination of the Observer tech in Peter's neck.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I noticed a 'flicker' in Walter's right eye a couple of times during the episode. When did this start happening? I'm assuming during his interrogation, but I never noticed it before.

Another thing I've been noticing this season, was the appearance of glyphs during the episodes. I don't mean on the doors, I mean the little frog statue on the car as Walter made his way to the apartment, and the seahorse in the cab a few episodes back where Walter listened to "Only You." Is this a new thing for the season, or little easter eggs throughout the series, like the Observer appearances?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Paul D G said:
I noticed a 'flicker' in Walter's right eye a couple of times during the episode. When did this start happening? I'm assuming during his interrogation, but I never noticed it before.
John Noble had cataract surgery - guess this is a side effect of that.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Peter "Neo-ing it up" and kicking the observer's ass was great. Really curious to see where it goes from here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sean Bryan said:
Peter "Neo-ing it up" and kicking the observer's ass was great. Really curious to see where it goes from here.
I loved that, too. Of course, we don't know what final consequences this will have, but it sure was satisfying as a capper to that particular episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks