What's new

Fringe Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Is it just me or does this season feel really out of place? We've been following these characters for four years and all of a sudden they're... different. A huge chunk of Peter and Olivia's life together is missing and it feels weird. Like your favorite book series is suddenly being written by someone else. It feels more like the plotline for a series return three years from now.

I realize they expected the series to complete at the end of last season then they were given another half season to wrap things up, but I get the feeling they didn't know what to do with it. I never got the feeling (previously) that the Watchers we're trying to take over the world. It feels so out of left field.

And personally, I think the whole "dystopian society fighting to overthrow their rulers" plot is way overdone, and I never enjoy it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Second episode still the best (along with the end of the first).
I wasn't really looking forward to replacing a monster of the week with 'find a clue' a week...but, the idea presented in the trailer for next week...
to have them start CREATING fringe events
could be fun.
I'm still not a fan of the very idea of the Observers as bad guys. And, I also feel like the secret revolution against dystopian oppressors provides less to work with than conspiracies and alternate universes.
But, I'm still enjoying the characters and hoping we get some great, memorable moments with them before the ride is over.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wayne Klein said:
The third episode of the season was pretty awful--almost as bad as the season opener which seemed cheap.
I didn't think it was awful, but I was surprised they wasted an hour on it when they only had 13 hours to work with. It was very much a Season One episode meets a "Star Trek: Next Generation" episode sort of affair.
What I'm really enjoying about this season is that we have the gang back together without complications; half of the last few seasons have been spent with the team split between universes or not remembering each other, etc. It's nice to have the team I fell in love with over the first season (plus Etta) raising hell together for a straight run. The core team of Olivia, Peter, Walter and Astrid has the best chemistry of any group on TV, in my opinion.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It might have been better if Etta came back in time and they were working to prevent the bad future, whether it was the Observers or not. I'm okay with anything that gets us more Haig time. ;) I haven't really had a problem with these eps, though it felt more like Season One meets Stargate Atlantis with who they got to play the Recordist. I just wonder if they're ultimately going to erase this future or live with cleaning up after the war is won. The first would be a cheat, but perhaps more satisfying to think of Peter and Olivia raising their little girl right.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/323707/fringe-season-5/30#post_3993904
A total punch to the gut. Wow. I honestly don't know where they go from here. It's hard to imagine a happy ending after this.

The "other side" viewing device was shown for a reason, I assume. Chekhov's Device, for lack of a better term.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Says a lot about the impact that Haig has had on the series that I feel like we have lost a central character to the show. Took me by surprise as I was expecting Broyles to go especially since he was listed as guest star. Great episode and a real gut punch to the characters we love. I don't expect Peter"s response is going to be pretty.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
On another note I am concerned about the possibility of a reset at the end of the series given the nature of the Observers. This could potentially damage the whole series if everything turns out to have had no impact on the characters because of a reset. We will see...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Josh Dial said:
The "other side" viewing device was shown for a reason, I assume.  Chekhov's Device, for lack of a better term.
Agreed. And, an interesting idea. What will Peter do when presented with the same option Walter had and that he scorned Walter for? But, there isn't enough show left to explore this. Too bad.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Quentin /t/323707/fringe-season-5/30#post_3994361
Agreed. And, an interesting idea. What will Peter do when presented with the same option Walter had and that he scorned Walter for? But, there isn't enough show left to explore this. Too bad.

It could be the final scene. The universe is saved (or not), yet Peter has an inescapable sadness. He figures out a way to open a door to a different alternate universe (or maybe it's part of the over-arching plot, and Walter, through a recover video, shows Peter how to do it), and the final shot of the show is ambiguous as to whether Peter enters, or closes it forever. Cue an ambiguous science-y "sound," as the title card displays for a final time.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm thinking along the lines that Walter sacrifices himself so that the timeline is reset to Peter and Olivia being back in the park with young Etta. And the Observer Occupation removed.
If the timeline is reset without a price - then everything that happens this season is all noise and nothing more.
(Way out there spec - Walter becomes/is September - which would tie in nicely with why September ate a roast beef sandwich - given the Bishop's love of food - back in Season 1 Episode 4 - The Arrival.)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Episode 5.04: The Bullet That Saved The World was a heart breaking episode.
Watch out! Here comes the Peterminator!
My written review - http://tinyurl.com/b49ynfe
Our podcast review - http://tinyurl.com/b3z5tnk

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I just watched the episode tonight, and was completely taken by surprise and greatly saddened. I did think about the potential setting up of Peter to repeat the actions of his own father. We'll see if that's what eventually happens.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The show has generally treated its subject matter and its fans with respect, pushed some boundaries of story-telling, told some terrific tales, and is going out on its own terms (somewhat). These days, you can't ask for much more in a show.

I'll be watching, as always.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Full announcement:
As the Fringe team fights for humanity's future in the fifth and final season, the imaginative journey toward the end of the acclaimed series will culminate in a climactic conclusion during the two-hour final-two-episodes event Friday, Jan. 18 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. This milestone date will also celebrate the series' 100th episode.

Series Co-Creator and Executive Producer J.J. Abrams reflected on the show's run: "It has been an absolute honor to have been a part of the weird and wonderful world of FRINGE. I will always owe the cast and crew for pouring their hearts and souls into every dimension of this series. Creating the show with Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman was a joy, but watching it evolve over the years into such an imaginative, insane and heartbreaking ride is nothing less than a thrill. I am grateful to our blessed fans, and to Kevin Reilly and Peter Rice and everyone at the glorious Fox network for allowing FRINGE to reach its bittersweet conclusion."

Executive producer and showrunner J. H. Wyman said, "Above all else, from the bottom of my heart, I would like to personally thank everyone involved with FRINGE. From the most amazing fans, to our incredible cast, writers and crew, and our wonderful partners at FOX and Warner Bros. - we would not be here without you. It simply cannot be overstated how grateful I am for the ongoing and unconditional support we have received over the past five seasons. It has been both mind-blowing and humbling. I've always been a fan of science fiction, and to be able to tell this story about a family - a family that, through everything, fought together for survival - has been a highlight of my career. As we approach the final chapter, I can hardly believe it, and I'm just truly thankful for this unparalleled experience."

"FRINGE has truly imagined the impossibilities over its five seasons and will go down in the books as one of FOX's most riveting and creatively brilliant series," said Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. "It has been a blast to work with J.J., Joel and their masterful creative teams, as well as with Anna, Josh and John and the rest of the most talented cast and crew in the business."

Throughout FRINGE's thrilling five seasons, the series has followed Special Agent OLIVIA DUNHAM (Anna Torv), enlisted institutionalized "fringe" scientist WALTER BISHOP (John Noble) and his globe-trotting, jack-of-all-trades son, PETER (Joshua Jackson) as the Fringe team explored mysterious occurrences linked between parallel universes, doppelgängers, Observers and unimaginable threats. The unlikely trio supervised by Special Agent PHILLIP BROYLES (Lance Reddick) and assisted by ASTRID FARNSWORTH (Jasika Nicole) - often led them to science and technological corporation Massive Dynamic, founded by WILLIAM BELL (guest star Leonard Nimoy), and its enigmatic chief executive, NINA SHARP (Blair Brown).

The fifth and final flash-forward season of FRINGE is set in 2036, when the "Observers" have become ruthless rulers of a dystopian society. As the battle for the world's future continues to unfold, the Fringe team is in the midst of making its final stand to save humanity. In the aftermath of the devastating loss of Peter and Olivia's daughter, ETTA (guest star Georgina Haig), the intensity escalates as the combat continues and Peter makes a pivotal and game-changing move in the all-new "An Origin Story" episode airing tonight (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Created by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, FRINGE is produced by Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Abrams, Bryan Burk and J.H. Wyman serve as executive producers, while Akiva Goldsman is a consulting producer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I will watch every episode naturally. But this is a show that I think will gain in reputation as the years pass (similar to the way Firefly has endured.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks