What's new

Friends - the Final Season 9/25/03 (season premier) (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Surprised no one has posted about this yet. Great show, if it can continue like this, the show will go out on top. The Monica, Chandler, Phoebe scenes where they were eavesdropping were hilarious and reminded me of the Friends of years ago. The Rachel, Joey, Ross stuff seemed a bit off, but not as bad as some things they tried last season. All in all a good show :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I agree it was a pretty damned funny episode. Chandler comparing Monica's hairstyles to Weird Al Yankovic and Allen Iverson respectively was hilarious. :laugh:

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Monica's hair was the funniest part of the show to me. The timing of the jokes, and the acting just seemed to be more on target than last season. It's like last season they weren't sure whether or not there was going to be a 10th season and the actors and writers were kind of ambivelant about the show, this year however, they know it's the end and are trying their best to go out with a bang.

Chris

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It still bogs down during the "Big Dramatic Moments (TM)", but the comedy was a bit more on-target than in some more recent episodes. The only bit that really fell flat was Ross getting all upset about the leaking shampoo and cream in his bag.

Regards,

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yes, Ross doing a caricature of himself always is lost on me, but the remainder of show is eminently watchable. So I'll watch and enjoy this last season.

Because of Ross' whiny, indulgent antics, I'm probably in a very select camp who believes that Rachel should do anything but end up with Ross. While I understand that that would be the neat ending, I don't think that it should end this way because it's meant to be. I like the idea of the story not following suit.

I find Phoebe hilarious, but at the same time, she could be the tragic character on the show.

NBC has been able to go from Family Ties, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Seinfeld, and finally Friends. I'm not so sure that NBC will be able to successfully hand over the baton yet one more time - Coupling's pilot was an enormous failure and it'll have to pull a Jeckyl & Hyde to save NBC.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I agree Peter. Whenever one of the shows you mentioned ended it's run, there was always a strong sitcom to take it's place. Some people will probably say that Will & Grace could take the baton, but I don't watch it so I don't know. Maybe Joey will be another Frasier.

I hope when this is over that Paul Rudd will get his own show.

I didn't watch Coupling but I heard the cast has zero chemistry.

Benny G

Second Unit
Does anybody else think Rachel looked very unattractive for most of the show? (compared to other seasons)

It looks like she aged 10 years since last season!! Maybe it was the place ride...

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
She looked good, as always, in the baby-T and the miniskirt. However, they have gotten older...Phoebe looks most ravaged by age. ;)

Forgot about Will&Grace, Larry...although I'm not sure how it has done in the ratings. And while I think the show is hilarious, I'm not sure it can capture the American zeitgeist as had the aforementioned shows.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Please could someone put this Brit out of his misery - does Rachel actually end up 'doing the deed' with Joey?
We don't get the show until the new year.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Andrew,

No, the crux of most of the show was Joey and Rachel wanting to tell Ross, so they wouldn't feel bad about being together, but things kept interrupting. At the end they seemed to be throwing caution to the wind and making out when Ross walks in.....

Chris

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really hope that Ross & Rachel end up together. Only for the fact that they have both pined for each other over the last 9 years and for all of the sudden she wants Joey after having Ross' kid kinda disregards the past. Besides, with Joey getting his own show. I can't see Rachel and him getting together.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
The whole Joey/Rachel plotline seems so forced. It's like they ran out of ideas last year and did this to prolong the show.

Phoebe should have chosen the other guy (scientist who was returning from Minsk) instead of Paul Rudd's character.

However, Chandler had a couple of funny lines last night, which made the show more watchable than most last season.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I agree, there is absolutely no reason for these two characters to be together, other than for the sake of the plot. Maybe they'll let them realize this on the show though.

Benny G

Second Unit
Here's another vote for Phoebe and David (scientist!). I don't see how the writers could leave her with Mike.....

I'm hopeful for P&D together....woohoo!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good season premiere. I think I laughed the most at the bit where Joey was to hide and gets pulled into the other room. Rachel's reaction was great.

I missed nearly all of last season during the first run but luckily caught them during the summer reruns. I think I'll try and catch all of this season.

Add another vote for Hank Azaria's character.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget that Matt LeBlanc has already signed for his own spinoff show, AS JOEY, so I think it is highly unlikely that he and Rachel will end up together.

somehow, they are going to have to explain him leaving and going out on his own.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think Aisha Tyler is only signed on for the first six episodes, so Ross & Rachel still have a chance. I also think them getting together could be part of the setup for Joey moving to L.A.

What's Dina Meyer up to? He'rs was the only character, besides Rachel, that Joey thought he could love. Her character moved to L.A. to do General Hospital (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks