What's new

Freezing picture - a problem with Yamaha DVD players? (1 Viewer)

DanJo

Auditioning
Hello All,

The DVD player I got for Christmas is a Yamaha that was part of a Home Theater in a box YHT-500. When I play a DVD (new or rented) the picture will stop and freeze for a second or two. I have learned that this is normal. But sometimes it will freeze for up to 10 seconds and then the picture will jump and split and act like it is searching for the next clear scene. I took it back to the dealer and he did not have the 5450. He replaced it with the 520 and it does the same thing. I do not think that this is normal and wanted to get your ideas before I call the store. I have talked to someone at Yamaha and was told to take to the store and they would ship it to a repair center to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks DanJo

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If two players exhibit the same problem on the same disc at the same point, it's probably the disc. If the players exhibit the same bad behavior randomly on different discs, then you've probably had an unfortunate run of bad luck with hardware purchases. But it sounds like the former.

M.

DanJo

Auditioning
Hi Michael,

It happens randomly on different disc. Never so far at the same place. Have you ever heard of a company (yamaha) having a problem like this or is this fairly normal?

DanJo

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Panasonic had some models a few years back that had problems with the optical pickup. The behavior was similar to what you've described, but it typically didn't appear until after the player had been in use for a months or so. I've never heard of anything similar with Yamaha players, but I'll edit the thread title to increase the chances that other Yamaha owners will chime in.

M.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ive seent he same problem with my parents sony player, we got it repaired once and it works well now, but it still seems to be sensitive to rental discs. Their player ahs always worked fine on my dvd's that i keep in good order, but the rental ones give problems. still its not normal as my PS2 plays all those discs they ahvetrouble with perfectly. you have likely had a run of bad luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks