My HT Setup, problems with HDMI

ColePyck

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole
Here is the setup, Panny AE-900(Projector), Toshiba HD-A1(DVD), Yamaha RX-V4600(Receiver) so they are all hooked up via HDMI cables, the problem I am running into is when I play a HD-DVD with 6.1 DTS, It comes through on my receiver as being PCM, when with my old dvd player the DTS light would light up, The picture is great on the A1(If I can keep it from freezing), but I dont think it is broadcasting in 6.1 Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Oh also what does PCM mean anyway, It will also say MPCM?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
There seems to be some issues with HDMI, since there are 1.1, 1.2 ad 1,3 versions. You might try posting your question on our Displays or Receivers Forums to find more information.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Depending on the title, your HD-DVD player could be sending multichannel PCM. PCM is uncompressed audio. Both Dolby and DTS are forms of compression. Plain DVD had to compress the audio to fit it on the disc. The Toshiba supports lossless audio, does the decoding internally and sends it out a multichannel PCM. Ignore the front panel of your receiver. If the soundtrack sounds enveloping, you are listening to multichannel audio.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo