What's new

Free FTP Clients (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
As the previous mgr of a high volume FTP site, I banned every one I ever saw using Leech by IP. Its ok to use if you're connecting to some large commercial site, but multi threaded clients are NOT welcome by many private FTPs.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Whoa.

Filezilla is superb! Heck, it rivals the pay-for-use CuteFTP Pro! Queue handling and everything... amazing what you can get open source these days.

Download it folks and try it. It's free after all.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I got frustrated with Cute and went and tried just about everything under the sun (except for Filezilla it seems) that sounded alright.

After everything I've pretty much stuck with Cute for most applications, but will sometimes use Bulletproof.

WS_FTP LE - Used to use it all the time before I knew any better. It's terrible, especially if you're uploading a website.

SmartFTP - Of the freebies, this was my favorite. Needs some work, but it has some cool features (nice multi site support) and looks nice too. It's queue system is clumsy and awkward, but you'd get used to it.

Leech - Didn't give it much of a chance, but I didn't like it.

Cute - Not free, has some queue quirks that frustrate me, and it has some reconnect issues, but I still use it the most.

Bulletproof - Good, not much wrong (would like multi site support). I should probably switch to this, but I don't like it's bookmarks. Not free.

None of them are perfect. Which I guess is why I have 3 of them installed on my computer. Guess I'll give Zilla a shot (is it the same company as GoZilla?)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Nope, looks like a standalone open source project. They also have a nice free server for Windows that seems to be good enough (if not the best I've ever seen; hard to argue with the price though).

CuteFTP Pro 2.0 still whips Filezilla but not by much. WS-FTP and most of those others aren't even in the same league, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks