What's new

Free FTP Clients (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Are there any decent basic free FTP clients out there (I don't want a trial period thing). All I'll really use it for is uploading and downloading files from the server that displays my webpage. So it would be nice to be able to create and modify folders on the webserver as well as transfer folder trees. Being able to delete files on the server would be nice as well.

Or is my best bet to just use IE if I want free?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
just go to start, run and type ftp

Everything you can do through a gui can be done via the command line...

Brett_H

Second Unit
Dustin,
I use SmartFTP for both downloading and uploading to my personal FTP site. Completely freeware and rather full featured. If you can use windows explorer, this one should be a no-brainer.
-Brett.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I was going to say exactly what Mike said.
Start -> run -> command
ftp ftp.mysever.com
username
password
bin
hash
prompt
mget *.jpg
asc
mput *.html
quit

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Ugh, FTP sucks.

Things it doesn't do:

Automatically reconnect
Remember addresses
Remember file queues
drag and drop file queing

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I highly second the Smart FTP suggestion I've been using it for months now and its very slick. Its hard to believe its freeware since its got more support them most software! Its simple to use yet powerful enough to do everything I've needed to with my web sites.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I don't like CuteFTP or BulletProof FTP but many other people do. I use WS_FTP but it's usually easier to do the command line thing.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
WS_FTP is the only program I've used. It's worked fine for me so I've never had any need to try anything else.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Commandline ftp rules, sorry. Run a real operating system, and batch script if you really need to do fancy things, but I can't be having with all that gui nonsense.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I always use the command line ftp, but some good things are to be said about being able to highlight a huge group of files and just drag-n-drop them onto the destination to start the transfer.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but I've been using Link Removed for a long time already. Small, multi-threaded, full drag'n'drop, etc.
It's no longer updated (for quite a while already), but it works like a charm :).
-Christian

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I use LeechFTP also! Everyone who I have shown it to loves it and has switched to it from the likes of WS_FTP, Cute, and Bulletproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks