What's new

Free Comic Book Day - Saturday, May 2, 2009! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a grab one of everything guy (if I'm not into it and it's just gonna take up space, why bother?) but there's more titles that I plan on picking up this year than usual- Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Bongo Comics Free-For-All!, Love & Rockets and I may even grab Cars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There was an EC Comics Sampler scheduled but I assume it got canned since Gemstone is some kind of financial problems.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I may finally go this year -- my son is on the verge of starting to read, and he's crazy for anything with Lightning McQueen on it! Also, while I've never been much into comics, I'd love to get that reprint of the original TMNT just for nostalgia purposes, since it was a favorite back in the day.

The closest participating shop is kind of a schlep, but closer than in years past.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I stopped by my comic shop this morning and grabbed the Star Wars, Bongo, Love & Rockets and the Ninja Turtles books. I was gonna get Cars but I figured that there was a little kid that would want it more than me so I didn't bother.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The Avengers book was a great little done-in-one story, with killer art by Jim Cheung. Blackest Night #1 was also very good, but isn't the nice, accessible to comics outsiders comic that Avengers is.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Sounds like ya'll made out better than me. Went to 2 stores plus a small comic convention that was being held in Houston and didn't score any of the 3 I really wanted: Bongo's Simpsons release, Cars or Transformers/GI Joe. Also, didn't see the Avengers, Blackest Night or the Ninja Turtles that others mentioned getting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I called the shop to check their hours and they told me they were limiting it to 1 free book per household. I decided it wasn't worth the 15-minutes-plus-red-lights-each-way trip.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
That's the same situation I ran into here. One free comic book, and you could get another if you purchased something.

Kinda defeats the purpose of the promotion.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Beyond that the retailers have to pay for the books, I saw some guy grabbing two of every free book* so I can understand the stores that have a limit to combat that type of thing. It sucks for the people who want to pick up and try a number of comics though.

* He even grabbed two copies of Archie. Who does that?!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I went to two stores...

The first gave you a three issue pack that had specific comics in it. You got to pick which 3 pack you wanted but that was a problem if you wanted two comics that were in different packs.

The second store I went to gave out five free comics that you could select yourself. They also had a signing with the guy (who's name escapes me at the moment) who is the current writer for Rampaging Wolverine (and also writes for Vampirella). I didn't get anything signed, but I thought that was pretty cool.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I could understand a limit per person. . .but per household? What if you have two kids?

I wonder what the retailers pay for the freebies. Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks