1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frasier

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChrisCook, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Message #41 of 48 Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I don't know what episode is was or what exactly the circumstances were, but there's a great moment I love when the father is disappointed in how Frasier and Niles are acting and says something like how Hoss and Little Joe wouldn't of treated Ben Cartwright that way.

I'm paraphrasing all this since I don't know it exactly, but a few seconds later, Frasier and Niles look at each other and comment with something like "great, there he goes talking about those Cartwrights again; Someday we really should ask him just who they are".

Malcolm R likes this.
  2. Message #42 of 48 Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Yes, these are extremely funny - what's amusing is trying to figure out who the voices are ahead of time, since though they sound familiar - without being able to see their faces, it's not easy to always put your finger on who they are. IIRC, these names are first revealed in the credits at the end. Lily Tomlin as the put-upon mother from S02 was especially great.

Agreed. Even the "chapter breaks" in the episodes (i.e., the black screen with the lettering, that you see 2-3 times per episode) move the story along in a comedic way, and these only last for a few seconds. Plus, there are usually some relevant sound effects/dialogue that you hear before the picture is seen.

Yes, this was hilarious. Though I've only watched through S02 of this series (so far), I suspect this restaurant episode will end up being one of the funniest episodes of the series.

Anyone who's ever worked at a restaurant (especially a high-end one) can really relate to this episode ;)

I remember that - IIRC, it was in S01. Another great episode. It was funny how Niles & Frasier thought they were "above" going to eat at a place like that, when it was more than acceptable for their father - LOL. By the same token, it's funny how they make fun of the fact that their father drinks beer - when they wouldn't be caught dead drinking anything but wine or some other high-end (or perceived high-end) alcoholic drink, i.e cognac, etc. - ha ha.

3. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes this episode is where Frasier and Niles gets their ties cut off with scissors by the waitresses. Funny stuff. The episode is also the first time Niles meets Daphne- instant infatuation.

The Drifter likes this.
  4. Message #44 of 48 Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    My review of Frasier S03, Part 1. Hilarious - as always. My favorite S03 episodes/storylines have included:

-The first part of the season features the talented and underrated Mercedes Ruehl playing Kate Costas, Frasier's new manager @ the radio station. They end up clashing early on, but soon after end up having an affair. However, it doesn't last long - since they realize they're not at all compatible (Frasier is allergic to the cats she likes/owns, they have no common interests, etc.). My favorite scene involving them is when they're both stuck in an elevator together - LOL. Soon after, Costas moves to Chicago - thereby getting written off the show.

Ruehl is one of my favorite actresses, and it's too bad she wasn't in more films/TV shows. One of my favorite films (she was featured in) was Terry Gilliam's The Fisher King (1991).

-Something I would have seen coming (even if I were watching the show on it's initial release) was the divorce of Niles & Maris. This was completely expected. It's funny how Roz sarcastically "pretends" to feel bad about this when it's first mentioned to her by Niles (she had obviously heard about it earlier from Frasier). Roz correctly feels that Niles is a pretentious jerk, and she's probably happy he's so miserable - LOL. Going along with this, it's funny how the divorce leads Miles to:

Briefly chase after Roz @ the radio station (who runs away from him) due to desperation. He had never given a second glance to her beforehand; despite her attractive-ness, you got the strong impression he felt she was "beneath" him - LOL.

Buy a thin, unusually shaped female dog - even though he's not a dog person. It's hilarious how he coddles the dog; i.e., picking it up, letting it sit on the couch, etc. It's obvious to Frasier, Daphne & Martin that Niles got the dog because she reminded him of Maris - but Niles himself doesn't realize this (at least not consciously) - LOL.

-The Christmas episode - ha ha. It was great how Martin put out all the garish Christmas decorations in the apartment, much to Frasier's chagrin - LOL. My favorite scene(s) were on Christmas Eve, when Frasier & Niles go to a toy store & Frasier can't find the educational toys he wants for his son Frederick (who is coming to visit for Christmas). But, shortly after notices a fellow toy store shopper with the educational toys in his bag. The fellow shopper tells him that store has closed for the night, but that he would sell the items to Frasier....for $1,000....when they're probably all only worth $50-$60 (at most). Like a fool - Frasier, desperate for the toys, reluctantly pays this amount for them.....despite the fact that he should fully realize that Frederick won't want them anyway. What an idiot! ha ha

Technical review of the S03 DVD set:

I noticed an improvement in the Picture Quality (PQ) in this season, especially starting with the Christmas episode-on. Not sure if that meant the show itself had better PQ from S03-on when it was first broadcast, or if the DVD sets themselves just got a better remastering from S03-on. In either case, the PQ looks decent in this season - for the most part. Conversely, the PQ in Seasons 1-2 was fairly sub-par, and didn't look much better than a VHS rip - disappointing.

5. Message #45 of 48 Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    Part 2 of my S03 review:

-The episode when Diane Chambers returns - extremely funny! Diane is in town to try to get a play she wrote off the ground, and wants Frasier's financial backing - LOL. Like the sucker he is (especially when it comes to old flames), Frasier ends up giving her money. As it turns out, her 'play' is a re-creation of "Cheers", with actors portraying Sam Malone, Cliff Claven, Carla, etc. These guys are spot-on as "Bizzarro" versions of the Cheers crowd - LOL.

-Frasier decides to "join forces" with Niles & gets an adjoining office right near him, so they can practice psychiatry together - LOL. However, not surprisingly, this doesn't last long: Frasier & Niles are overseeing a group therapy session re: people going through divorces, etc. And, though Niles tries to control the room, Frasier takes over & starts pontificating, etc. This leads to Niles getting frustrated, and things go downhill from there - ha ha.

-Frasier gets into an altercation with a fellow patron at Cafe Nervosa (because the guy stole Frasier & Niles' seat), and proceeds to physically throw him out the door - ha ha. This leads to the other patrons cheering Frasier, and also results in a newspaper story written about the incident. Frasier then becomes something of a local celebrity - which leads to Niles becoming jealous that he never successfully defended himself against anyone.

However, Frasier (who typically seems to always screw things up for himself) later feels guilty - even though he shouldn't. So, he publicly apologizes to the guy at the Cafe. And, since Frasier was stupid enough to admit guilt - the guy then says he is going to sue Frasier for assault....ha ha. Then, Niles picks a fight with the guy, who barely touches him - causing Niles to fall back into an adjoining table, collapsing it - hilarious. This then allows Niles & Frasier to say they are going to counter-sue. So - presumably, the guy will drop his suit to avoid being sued himself - very clever!

-Roz meets a guy she likes on a local bus/rail-car, but is separated from him before she can give him her phone #, etc. So, Frasier - hearing the story - decides to try to help Roz out. He mentions this meeting on the air, in the hopes that the guy will contact the station & then meet Roz. As planned, the guy hears the show & comes to the station with a bouquet of flowers for Roz. She is initially enthusiastic about him - until he admits to being married (and worried that his wife may have heard the show - LOL) but also says he still wants to go out with her. Roz, not impressed, proceeds to hit the guy over the head with the bouquet - repeatedly. The very next scene is especially funny - Frasier is talking on the radio in the foreground, while - in the background (seen through the office window behind Frasier) - Roz is angrily chasing the guy (and keeps hitting him with the now-destroyed bouquet) and eventually runs into the stairwell after him - ha ha.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  6. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes the show where Diane returns is well-done. The show where Frasier becomes obsessed with beating his father at chess is another highlight from season 3. The skinny Greyhound that Niles buys for companionship leads to funny comments from Martin about how it resembles Maris (that dog makes another appearance in season 4, I think). A show towards the end of season 3- Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fired is a good one- Frasier’s agent Bebe has to quit smoking- a mandate from her rich fiancé.

The Drifter likes this.
  7. Message #47 of 48 Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    This was especially hilarious!!! The very superficial Bebe hooks up with a much older wealthy guy who is on his last legs, and it's very evident she's only doing it because he's got big bucks - ha ha.
    So, when he finally passes right as they're walking down the aisle she's very upset, but not because he's dead - only because he died before she was in a position to inherit all his money ;)

Jeffrey D likes this.
  8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Any episode with Bebe I'd say is Top 20 Frasier -- I can't remember a single episode which she was in that wasn't stellar.
    The Lilith episodes are pretty much the same though most of them would come a bit behind Bebe