1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frasier

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChrisCook, Jan 22, 2014.

1. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    If you have amazon prime, you can watch seasons 10 and 11 in 16*9 hi-def - at least, it appears to be hi-def, definitely better than the DVDs.

I would buy the show on blu if they went back to the original film for scans. It is a prestigious and popular show, but I don't know if CBS will ever want to spend the money, that being said, like Warners did with Friends, it would future proof it for hi-def broadcast/streaming.

2. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes I’d love a BluRay release of the series. I watch a selection of episodes over and over again- terrific characters and writing.

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Frasier should be cheaper to remaster than some other finished on tape shows from the 90s.

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Another really funny line from season 1- in the Give Him The Chair episode (Martin’s favorite beat up chair is accidentally discarded). Frasier buys a modern leather chair after trying it out at the furniture store (Niles and Frasier get sexually excited while sampling the massage feature- a funny scene in itself). The chair is delivered to the apartment, and Daphne samples the massage feature, and also gets turned on. Frasier kicks her out of the chair because Martin is about to enter the apartment, and Daphne says, “Just like a man- you’ve had your fun and you don’t care where I am!”

You’ll like a good amount of the 2nd season episodes too (The Matchmaker, Flour Child, Agents In America Part III, An Affair To Forget, Dark Victory).

5. Message #25 of 48 Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Agreed - I just saw this episode, and found it hilarious. As someone who hates old, beat-up furniture and has actually gotten rid of some of this junk (and never replaced it) - I can relate - LOL.

Another extremely relatable episode for me from S01 was when Frasier had a mild flirtation with a 22-year old saleswoman in a high-end clothing store. She expressed genuine interest in him, and though he was initially bothered by the almost 20-year age difference...he eventually got to the point where he was going to ask her out anyway. However, she then admitted that she was re-thinking this & decided it wasn't a good idea, etc.

Looking forward to the rest of the series; again, I'm glad I waited to watch this, since I'm appreciating this a lot more now as a 40-something guy - than if I had watched it back when the show was originally on.

That being said, one future plot element I'm skeptical about is the upcoming marriage between Niles & Daphne; I'm avoiding most Spoilers for the future seasons, but this one slipped through somehow - ha ha. The two have 0 chemistry together - and, though it's obvious Niles has lusted after her from Day 1 - I don't sense any kind of attraction on her part for him whatsoever. And, I actually find his interest in Daphne somewhat creepy & definitely stalker-ish. So, this marriage seems like it will be very contrived - but, the show is so well-done that I'm looking forward on seeing how this is handled.

6. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    When you get to the episode when Niles and Daphne reveal their feelings for each other, you’ll likely think it’s manipulation of the viewer by the writers, but the episode is HIGHLY romantic and powerful.

7. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Hate that the image is stretched to fit the screen on the Netflix version. Love that the writing on the show still holds up magnificently.

8. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    I have netflix and none of the FRASIER episodes are stretched to fit the screen. You may want to check the settings on your tv.

9. Message #29 of 48 Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    Continuing my review of Frasier, I recently finished watching S02. It's interesting that it took me almost a year to see the entire Cheers series on DVD (July 2018 - May 2019), but for some reason I'm really blowing through these Frasier DVD sets much faster. I guess it's a testament to how great this series is that I'm really looking forward to each new episode & season. It's an incredibly funny show - LOL. S02 was especially strong, and featured numerous hilarious episodes:

-Frasier starts a romance with an attractive intellectual (played by the lovely JoBeth Williams) and they plan a romantic weekend to an island getaway. Right before he ends up "sealing the deal" with her in their beach "condo", he's noticed by Lilith - who is unfortunately staying right next door to him. Seeing her upsets him, and seriously throws him "off his game" - so he ends up making a fool of himself in front of the JB character - which leads to them breaking up. The episode ends with Frasier & Niles going to that same vacation condo, without anyone else - LOL.

-Sam Malone (from Cheers) is in Seattle briefly, and decides to visit Frasier at the radio station - to tell him he's getting married. And, when Frasier meets Sam's fiance (the gorgeous Tea Leoni), he realizes he had a one-night stand with her on a recent visit to Boston - LOL. Eventually, Frasier confronts her (without Sam being there) & she admits to having slept with some others from Cheers, notably Paul & Cliff - hilarious!! Finally, Sam breaks it off. At the end of the episode Frasier is driving Sam to the airport & Sam admits that his fiance sleeping with Cliff was the deal-breaker - and the main reason for his breaking up with her - LOL. And, he didn't even find out what had happened between the fiance & Frasier - ha ha.

Other funny notes about this episode: When Frasier first sees Sam, he asks him how the gang at the bar is doing. Sam mentions that Rebecca got dumped by her plumber boyfriend, so she keeps coming back to Cheers - even though she doesn't work there anymore - LOL. Also, Sam mentioned that Cliff stopped coming to Cheers for a while because he was worried about some kind of virus; and, fortunately for the bar - business at the bar started to pick up much more...presumably because customers were happy Cliff was gone - LOL.

-Frasier tracks down his old piano teacher (who seduced him in his late teens, when she was middle-aged) to apologize to her for running off about 25 years before (to go to college). He finally finds her at her home - and she is now a very attractive 60-ish woman - and harbors no ill feeling towards him at all. He then tries to see if she wants to "rekindle" the romance, and tells her that the age difference is no issue at all. Right at that point, a 20-something guy knocks on her door in order to pick her up for their date. The piano teacher admits to Frasier that she wasn't into 40-something guys when she was that age, and still isn't (or something to that effect) - LOL!!!! So, Frasier in his early 40's is now too old for her, even though he's much younger than she is - ha ha. Very funny, ironic, and also very much rooted in reality - LOL.

10. Message #30 of 48 Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    Part 2 of my S02 review:

-Frasier ends up trying to help his father solve a 20-year old murder case involving the death of a "lady of the night". Frasier's theory is that a monkey in the circus accidentally killed her, and when he presents this theory to his father & the father's retired LE friends - they end up laughing & humiliating him - very, very funny.

-Frasier ends up going into Daphne's room (even though it's off limits) to return a book to her. He ends up inadvertently snooping around, and unintentionally takes some pills - which he then has to return, without her knowing about it.

Extremely funny scene when Daphne is in the bathroom & sees Freddie drinking from the toilet water, calls him a filthy animals & demands that he leave right away - and Frasier (who is hidden behind the door) thinks she's talking to him - reveals himself, and then is mortified (because it looks like he's spying on her) and runs out of the room. Hilarious!

-Frasier & co. remember a once-popular restaurant from back in the day, that has unfortunately fallen on hard times & is obviously failing. When they go to the restaurant, they notice an elderly waiter named Oliver - who used to be able to remember very complicated orders without writing anything down. However, Oliver has himself fallen on hard times (he's senile) and brings their table a check - before they've even ordered anything - LOL.

The gang then wants to try to restore this restaurant to it's former glory, even though none of them have any experience running a restaurant (or even working in one). So, they stupidly buy the restaurant - and, not surprisingly, their "opening night" ends up having disastrous results, not least of which is the staff quitting before finishing the preparation of the food, and Frasier & co. having to take over - and obviously screwing everything up. The guests ends up storming out before most of them are even served. The funniest scene here is that Oliver, as the car valet, ends up driving a car through the side of the restaurant! When asked by a horrified customer what happened, Frasier says "That's our new drive through!" - HA! HA!

As someone who used to work at a somewhat high-end restaurant in my late teens, I can relate to a lot of what was seen here, i.e. the snooty customers, the overpriced food, etc.

-Some of my favorite interactions on the show are between Niles & Roz. In S01, Niles barely acknowledged Roz (and seemed to always forget who she was). However, in S02 he does acknowledge her, but treats her with thinly veiled contempt - probably because he thinks he's better than her & also possibly due to her sleeping around, etc. She also hates his guts, too - ha ha. Some of the funniest scenes involve conversations between the two of them:

Niles: So... that's a nice jacket.
    Roz: Thank you.
    Niles: It's offbeat.
    Roz: And what is that supposed to mean, 'offbeat'?
    Niles: Well...
    Roz: No, wait, I think I know exactly what it means. Offbeat as in cheap. Well, excuse me for not being rich enough to shop at the International House of [email protected]$$ like you and Maris the heiress! That is what you meant, right?
    Niles: Yes, but I had no idea you'd pick up on it!

HA! HA! As with much of this show, I'm sure many can relate to having friends/acquaintances who don't get along with each other, but only interact/see each other because they have a mutual friend/relative (Frasier in this case).

General comment about the show:

-It's funny that the closing credits actually feature a final scene, instead of just being shown over still pictures (as with Cheers & most other sitcoms). Very nice, and you feel as if you're getting more story here as a result.

11. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes the closing credits are worth watching for all the shows- there’s an amusing joke that references a plot in that specific episode. One of the many good things about the show is no wasted time- the opening music that lasts not even 10 seconds, then right to the show.

12. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Frasier is simply one of those shows that is brilliant from the first episode to the last. But, weren't they working on possibly bring back Frasier for a reboot of sorts? I hope it never happens simply because many of the original cast said that they would never return for a reunion movie or a series. I think I remember Jane Leeves remarking in an interview once that she would never return for such a show. Plus, John Mahoney passed away some years ago, if I remember correctly. Yeah, he passed away early last year.

But, I wish they would release Frasier to Blu-ray. I still enjoy watching it through repeated viewings. It's one of those shows, like M*A*S*H*, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched that you never get tired of re-watching.

Timothy E likes this.
  13. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes a Frasier reunion wouldn’t work without Mahoney- Martin and Niles were the best characters on the show. Bulldog Briscoe and Bebe Glazer were really good supporting characters as well.

14. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I just don't see the cast returning for the reboot or 'continuation'. That story on these characters have already ran their course and a reboot simply wouldn't work. Not only that but I think attempting to do that would just be seen as a money or ratings grab by both Kelsey Grammer and the network.

15. Message #35 of 48 Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    I have 0 interest in a Frasier re-boot/reunion, and would definitely not watch anything like this. Still making my way through the beginnings of this great series, and it's obvious it was very much a product of it's time (early '90's - early 200X's). I don't want to see the show/characters revisited - it would definitely taint the great legacy/reputation that the show currently has. Not only is JH gone (a key character on the show); but, it will be depressing seeing everyone so much older - and, at their ages, I don't see them getting in the same situations they did when they were younger. Yes, there is life after retirement - but, I personally don't care what Frasier & co. are doing in their "golden years".

If others are interested in seeing something like this, fine. But, as has been said, if something like this were to happen it would reek of a blatant money grab - and the quality/writing would almost certainly be sub-par - especially when compared to the original run.

16. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    Yes... based on the Murphy Brown reboot, sometimes it is best to leave things alone. This is a remarkable series. Let it be.

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    That continues through the entire series. It's surprising who contributes. I seem to recall people like Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. Some people show up repeatedly and some of them are hilarious. There's a southern actress whose name escapes me who is on it several times.

FWIW, I think the single funniest episode is the one with Christine Baranski as Dr. Nora, around the middle of the series. I was on the floor.

The Drifter likes this.
  18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The scenes I still remember from that episode are Daphne grabbing an eel out of the tank and whipping it against the countertop after the chef quit and everyone else was squeamish about handling the eels (which was the featured trademark dish of that chef and many in the dining room want to order the dish).

And Roz's blown up face and hair after she light the cherries jubilee that both Niles and Frasier had been repeatedly dosing with brandy all evening. "I've never seen a cherry embedded in an acoustic tile!"

Any episode that centers around a night at a restaurant or the brothers throwing a dinner party is pure gold. One of my favorite restaurant episodes is when Martin convinces Frasier and Niles to go with him to his favorite steak house, and they're so elitist and snooty about the food, staff, and ambiance, that Martin has to tell them off, which leads to some temporary shame and self-reflection.

Then there's the episode in the Italian restaurant where the owner famously draws caricatures of famous people that have visited and had dinner there, but when he honors Frasier with the same treatment it doesn't go just right.

KPmusmag and The Drifter like this.
  19. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Despite whatever the ratings were, I enjoyed the Murphy Brown reboot. I was actually surprised they rebooted it as the show never did that well in syndication and I don't think any media release of it went beyond the first or second season. It was always a show "of the moment" and not really that re-watchable. IMO.

I never liked those reunion movies from 1960's sitcoms that they did, like Andy Griffith, Green Acres, The Addams Family and the like. The basic problem of all of those is that they weren't what we knew them as, situation comedy episodes. If they had come back with 3 or 4 "episodes" of the series, written and produced like the originals were, I think people would have accepted them a lot more and they would've been better. (I'm now recalling "Mary & Rhoda." Who remembers that fondly?)

I will say, though, that regardless if I feel any need to see anything I used to watch rebooted, if they do reboot them, I always tune in for a look see.

20. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes that Dr. Nora episode (late in season 6) is one I watch repeatedly. Great ending to the episode when the mother comes to the studio
    (played by Piper Laurie).