1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frasier

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChrisCook, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I can't locate the thread, but someone had posted that the DVD sets contain both syndicated cuts and music replacement. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

2. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Who here watched Frasier in its initial broadcast? Compared to the DVDs, were anything changed?

I'm getting tired of Hallmark editing out the language.

3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I don't have the DVDs so I can't help you there, but i can tell you that Lifetime is airing Frasier on their HD channel as well. Episodes are more or less unedited (at least by Hallmark standards). Ashamed to admit my wife and I only started watching Frasier after becoming a mega Jane Leeves fan on Hot in Cleveland and wanting to see her earlier work. The entire Frasier cast is incredibly talented and now we DVR the Lifetime daily airings and binge watch them. Some of the best writing I've ever seen.

What Lifetime does that I don't like though is stretch the picture....were the earlier years filmed or taped? I

4. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Thanks for alerting me to Lifetime. I already have the first season set to record next week, in the meantime.

I do not know the answer to whether the earlier seasons were filmed or taped. Anyone?

5. mstgator

mstgator Agent

Aaron
    Filmed. (For those interested, all 11 seasons are available to stream for free if you have Amazon Prime.)

6. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I'm still looking for information concerning the Frasier DVDs. I like to get them if they are not the typical CBS/Paramount releases.

7. UniversalPhan

UniversalPhan Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan Winters
    I know that Paramount has re-released the series via a standard DVD case that includes all of the disks with those flipped pages.

8. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

I believe the R1 DVDs are completely uncut; any warning messages on the back were (are?) standard boilerplate for CBS/Paramount and nothing was actually lost.

The R2 UK release is missing the short scene at the beginning of "Daphne's Room" where Frasier is singing "Great Balls of Fire", but that's intact on the R1.

9. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

I have watched all episodes of Frasier at least several times, one of my all time favorite sitcoms. Started watching on air back in the '90s when it was first broadcast, but can't recall for sure any missing cuts or music.

From what I have seen of the box sets I own, they are just as they aired on TV with no edits to anything. Unlike the hack job they still have on WKRP, these don't have near the same issues.

Also, Netflix has all seasons of Frasier, Cheers, Wings and some others you may want instead of box sets. It's a good deal and they are the same as the DVDs.

10. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Thanks all for the additional help.

I've found CBS/Paramount can be inconsistent with their disclaimers.

I noticed after watching "Space Quest" on Lifetime that my guide listed the following for this episode:
    At Café Nervosa, it was Niles, there was no waiter-musician. Was this even in the original broadcast? Deleted scene? In the original script?

11. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I too own all 11 seasons on DVD. I've also watched the show during its original run. To the best of my knowledge, nothing has been altered / edited / replaced.

12. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Yeah, the all 11 seasons package occasionally goes on sale for $50, so I don't think it's worth sweating over. But I have some thoughts about the "disclaimer". Read carefully :) as I might not 'splain it well...

Except for that amazing package deal, individual season sets of Frasier hold their value extremely well, considering the elapsed time, especially so in Canada i.e. they are not cheap. As such I had several seasons in the original cardboard packaging before I got the package deal which had mostly new Amaray case packaging. I guess as seasons sold out they redid them in Amaray, and AFAIK only S8 and S10 haven't "sold out" so far.

The original packaging did not have the disclaimer up to at least S8. The original packaging also had "Complete" in the title. S10, only available in original packaging, did not have Complete in the title, and does have the disclaimer.

The newer Amaray packaging seasons all have the disclaimer, and also do not have Complete in the title.

Here's the important part: I have watched some seasons in both packaging versions, with and without the disclaimer and Complete, and they are the same as far as I can tell. There are a helluva lot of episodes to remember, but I never "remembered something" from one version of an episode and didn't see it in the other version. Note that we get the same DVDs here as in the U.S., there are no Canadian versions.

This does not answer whether these are edited from original broadcast though. Personally I would not consider original broadcast that high a standard, stations are sloppy and bits and pieces of an episode can get cut out for all sorts of reasons. So we may have seen slightly different "versions" broadcast, partly because we're in different countries and obviously no CBS here. Censoring or music changes are a different matter, not much reason for that in Frasier. I would suspect/guess the most likely differences from broadcast could be the multi-part episodes.

13. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I have all the 11 seasons DVDs region 1. Bought each season individually when they were released at full price. I have just started to watch them all again.

When are they going to release them on Bluray?

Steve...O likes this.
  14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Frasier holds up really really well and the large number of episodes keeps one from tiring of it. I'd love to see this on BD but doubt that it will happen. Only seasons 10 and 11 have been remastered to HD.

For those who have the complete series collection, are all 11 seasons in the slimmer Amaray packaging or is it a mixed bag? Also, do all seasons have English Subtitles now? I netflixed S1 and the versions they sent didn't have subtitles, just captions (which don't work on HDMI connections).

15. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

That should've read "original NBC broadcast". I've switched to Firefox for HTF as I had a whole heap of problems with Internet Explorer.

If definitively nothing has been changed, I'll get the DVDs for Seasons 1 and 5 to start.

16. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    albert_m2 and LeoA like this.
  17. youworkmen

youworkmen Supporting Actor

david
    Frasier may have been filmed but like the majority of US shows of that era all post production of the show was on tape which is why Frasier doesn't look even close to the quality of Cheers which was an all film series and HD versions of Cheers are already around.

Frasier is like Friends in that it will require Paramount to return to the original filmed material and remaster the entire series from start to finish to create HD versions.

It looks like this process has been going for a while as HD widescreen versions of later seasons have been appearing here in the UK . I guess you have them in the US too.

Fortunately , unlike something like Star Trek Next Generation where all the effects work had to be redone for the HD versions ( something that is delaying true HD versions of The X-Files) Frasier won't need much if anything being done again.

But lets hope nothing has been lost of the original film elements - a problem that occurred a few times during the HD restorations of TNG.

18. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Niles getting ready for his date and having nothing but trouble the entire entire time, culminating in passing out and accidentally setting fire to Frasier's couch when he faints, is the best moment of the entire series and pure genius.

That episode otherwise doesn't stand out for me, but what a wonderful two minutes or so.

albert_m2 likes this.
  19. Message #19 of 73 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    I recently finished watching Frasier S01 on DVD. This is my very first time seeing the show; never saw it when it was originally on, or in re-runs, etc. Hilarious series, and an excellent follow-up to Cheers. However, I definitely consider it far more than just a spin-off show; it stands on it's own - with an obvious connection to the previous series.

It has so many great elements:

-Extremely clever/witty, and funny script. I find myself laughing out loud numerous times when watching the show, which rarely happens with me - even when watching comedies.

-The casting is spot-on & excellent, especially DHP as Frasier's brother Niles. Though they don't look that much alike, I can 100% buy them as brothers re: similar temperaments, personalities, likes/dislikes, professions, etc. Very funny.

I also feel the late JM is great as Frasier & Niles' father Martin. Though he is the complete opposite of his sons' re: personality, interests, etc. - you can completely buy this too, given that they probably are more like their late mother. And, the difference/clash of personalities is where a lot of the humor on the show stems from.

-The Seattle, WA setting. It was a good move on the part of the show's writers/producers to move Frasier away from Boston (and his bad memories of Lilith & the divorce, etc.) so he could start fresh in his home-town. Plus, it gave the series a completely different vibe/tone/feel than what was seen in Cheers.

I love the Pacific Northwest, and Seattle in particular. I've been there a couple of times over the years, and actually wanted to move there at one point; though that didn't work out, it's probably my #1 favorite city in the country. Note that I realize the show probably wasn't filmed in Seattle, but it does have that obvious "vibe". I.e., the Cheers bar is pseudo-replaced by the coffee shop across the street from the radio station as Frasier & co's "hang-out"; the "grunge" look sported by some of the younger people that you see around, the more laid-back atmosphere, etc.

-The running joke of Niles never quite placing Roz (the producer of Frasier's radio show), forgetting her name/always forgetting who she is - despite having seen her numerous times @ Frasier's job, in social settings, etc. - is extremely funny. And, it just emphasizes how completely self-absorbed Niles is - ha ha.

-Very funny that a lot of the people calling into the radio station are the voices of well-known celebrities, i.e. Linda Hamilton, Jeff Daniels, etc. The funniest so far is probably the late Bruno Kirby as the aggressive/belligerent Marco - ha ha.

-The one-liners & jokes are fantastic. Some of my favorites include:

Niles: I really must go. I'm hosting a seminar on multiple personality disorders and it takes me forever to fill out the name tags.

When Daphne first meets everyone in Episode 01:
    Daphne: Nice to meet you. [sees Eddie] Oh, and who might this be?
    Frasier: [darkly] That is Eddie.
    Martin: I call him "Eddie Spaghetti."
    Daphne: Oh, he likes pasta?
    Martin: No, he has worms.

HA! HA!

-The show's "theme song" is ironically at the end of the show, instead of the beginning - very subversive - ha ha. Also, whenever I hear the line "tossed salads & scrambled eggs" I get hungry - LOL.

-It's hilarious that Niles' wife Maris is never seen on the show, though she's always mentioned. Niles has to constantly be making excuses for her no joining him on social occasions, etc. Though I know she was supposed to exist in the context of the show, if I didn't know better I would think she was a figment of Niles' (and the other characters) imaginations - ha ha. And, this reminds me of situations IRL where people are always claiming to have spouses who are literally never around, to the point that you question their existence - LOL.

And, as with Cheers - I'm glad I waited years before I watched Frasier since I'm able to relate to the show a lot more now. When it first aired, I was in college & busy with classes, etc. - and the show didn't interest me - nor did I have time to watch much TV, anyway. However, years later I'm a little older than Frasier initially was on the show, and can definitely relate to aging parents, divorce, working full-time, etc.

Also very impressed that the show lasted 11 seasons - this is very impressive for any sitcom, but especially for a show that is essentially considered a spin-off.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the series, though I know it's going to take me a while.

MartinP. likes this.
  20. Message #20 of 73 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    The second part of my S01 Frasier review is devoted to the DVD set. Though I really enjoyed the show itself, I am extremely underwhelmed with the DVD's themselves:

-The Picture Quality (PQ) is sub-par/poor. It's slightly better than what you saw re: an old show that was taped off of TV onto a VHS tape - but not by much. I understand this has a lot to do with the limitations of the source material - i.e., I believe the show was filmed but then transferred to tape?! before it was broadcast. However, it is disappointing that the show started 9 years after Cheers, and the PQ re: the Cheers DVD's are far superior than what we see on Frasier. I know there's a reason for this, but it is still disappointing.

-Lack of subtitles. My hearing is great, but it would be nice to have subtitles for anything I missed, etc. - and for other viewers who are hard of hearing, etc.

- This is nit-picking, but it would have been nice to see a "Play all" feature on the DVD sets (as with the Cheers sets). So, if you want to binge-watch - you could just go through all of the episodes one after the other - instead of having to go back to the main menu after watching an episode.

In any case, if the PQ on Frasier can be somehow substantially cleaned-up/remastered - I would be all for a Blu release of this entire series. Even though I've only seen S01, I would pseudo blind-buy a boxed set of this show in HD - just based on the strength of the first season.